PDA

View Full Version : Keep on having to resetting STB!

markpearcy
30-11-2003, 22:18
Hi,

Recently (last couple of months) I have had to keep on powering off STB just to get my connection working. I have had BB for 2yrs now and this is happening quite often...for example I am connected now, writing to you here...but there is a 50/50 chance that if I turn off PC and come back tomorrow and turn it back on, I will have to

Shut Down PC
Turn off STB
Turn on STB
Turn on PC...

Worringly sometimes whilst the PC is on, CorrectConnect makes that alarm sound and I lose all connection altogether>>>?

What do you guys reckon, this one is probably quite easy for you.T
Thanks

Mark.

lemarsh
30-11-2003, 22:33
I had this problem a few months ago - after 12 months without any problems.

NTL did swap the STB, but the problem kept occuring.

Eventually the swapped the STB connection for a stand alone modem (argued about being charged, and eventually won, so was installed without any charge).

Have not had any reoccuring problems since

Lee

Florence
30-11-2003, 22:48
I had the same problem with the pace 1000 after almost two years. NTL changed it for a pace 2000 which stayed up from then until I exchanged to the SACM recently.

Try for the pace 2000 the 1000 and 4000 are not the best.

Call them before it dies completely and you are offline waiting for an engineer to come out..

abailey152
30-11-2003, 22:55
Hi,

Recently (last couple of months) I have had to keep on powering off STB just to get my connection working. I have had BB for 2yrs now and this is happening quite often...for example I am connected now, writing to you here...but there is a 50/50 chance that if I turn off PC and come back tomorrow and turn it back on, I will have to..........
I've been getting similar problems ever since going to digital. Both with TV and BB (but they never seem to go down together??? :erm: ). The problems seem to come in batches. I don't have a problem for several weeks, then I have grief every day for a fortnight.

I've been told it's because my signal is poor, very close to the threshold. Unfortunately, it has always been like this even from the analogue days as Nynex, CWC, and NTL would not do anything to boost the signal (Too pricey, I suppose). To be honest, they did upgrade the co-ax to my house, and that did improve matters slightly, but it hasn't cured them.

Unfortunately, BT say I'm also too far away from the exchange for ADSL, so I'm currently stuck with rebooting every so often. The price I pay for living on the edge of civilization I guess! :)

th'engineer
01-12-2003, 08:45
Understand that some software updates for the STB DTV tend to be a problem .

Check your version of STB and pwr and return path levels post them on here we should be able to help

Fawkes
01-12-2003, 11:47
Does it only happen when you are using your PC, if so it might be an application saturating you upload. Common offenders are peer 2 peer applications, go here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html) to configure them correctly.

I had a similar problem a month or two ago not long after I started using Bit Torrent even though I had limited the upload. The problem went away again when I stopped using it. Maybe just a coincidence.

Dooby
01-12-2003, 14:28
i have had a similar problem on and off, but always found that refreshing the IP address sorted it ( i.e. ipconfig /renew ). shutting down the stb and pc would do something similar afaik...

th'engineer
01-12-2003, 14:36
I to have had problems similar on STB recently think that it may be an over sub thing again

ppolo99
01-12-2003, 18:53
I to have had problems similar on STB recently think that it may be an over sub thing again

Iv also had this problem, i have to reset 2wice a day :(

markpearcy
01-12-2003, 19:37
Does it only happen when you are using your PC, if so it might be an application saturating you upload. Common offenders are peer 2 peer applications, go here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html) to configure them correctly.

I had a similar problem a month or two ago not long after I started using Bit Torrent even though I had limited the upload. The problem went away again when I stopped using it. Maybe just a coincidence.

hi guys, surpise surprise, came back today and again, no connection on 1st boot up..

power down stb etc etc repeat till fade.....

whilst i am on the pc it has only done it once (lost connection), it seems it happens when i don't use the pc, switching it off for for 12-24hrsi used to run ipconfig in 98se, how do i do it on XP?

thanks guys

markpearcy
01-12-2003, 19:37
Understand that some software updates for the STB DTV tend to be a problem .

Check your version of STB and pwr and return path levels post them on here we should be able to help

how do i do that, is it on the back of STB> >

Ignition
01-12-2003, 19:46

Oversubscription will not cause spontaneous and repeated disconnection sir.

If extreme it can cause problems getting online, but certainly won't knock you offline.

th'engineer
01-12-2003, 19:54
how do i do that, is it on the back of STB> >
Up dwn and blue on the remote. takes you to a menu use ok button to fwd through the menu.

Oversubscription will not cause spontaneous and repeated disconnection sir.

If extreme it can cause problems getting online, but certainly won't knock you offline.
So what would you suggest is happening in that case considering pwr levels are within tolerance.

The IP will not refresh until the box is rebooted and has only been happening over the last few weeks.

gary_580
01-12-2003, 21:34
Ive had to reboot the STB every day for the past 3 days

Florence
01-12-2003, 21:56
They could be going faulty my last one was a replacement for a pace 1000. I had a pace 2000 fitted in June and it was rebooted once the first night then never again and it was taken out in November to change for a SACM. It was never off and had pc's working alll the time.

markpearcy
01-12-2003, 22:44
They could be going faulty my last one was a replacement for a pace 1000. I had a pace 2000 fitted in June and it was rebooted once the first night then never again and it was taken out in November to change for a SACM. It was never off and had pc's working alll the time.

i have checked mine and mines a 1000...does the engineer come and swap it out just ike that, or can i ask for a standalone modem.

Florence
01-12-2003, 22:52
i have checked mine and mines a 1000...does the engineer come and swap it out just ike that, or can i ask for a standalone modem.
how long have you had the contract with them for this STB?

SACM are harder to aquire I have only just got one and that was by the help of Bill C and the forums but I had been a customer for over 2 yrs..

Try to get him to fit a pace 2000 they are the best...

Ramrod
01-12-2003, 23:56
I've been going through a bad patch with having to reboot and I've got a router and a laptop (as well as my pc) to reboot as well:afire:

Florence
02-12-2003, 00:49
I've been going through a bad patch with having to reboot and I've got a router and a laptop (as well as my pc) to reboot as well:afire:
Try just rebooting the STB leaving the pc on and see if it reconnects to the net. Mine did everytime.

th'engineer
02-12-2003, 07:12
Try rebooting the set top box and using release refresh in the router set up

abailey152
02-12-2003, 12:13
i used to run ipconfig in 98se, how do i do it on XP?
IPCONFIG still works in XP. You just have to open a command prompt.

markpearcy
03-12-2003, 00:14
IPCONFIG still works in XP. You just have to open a command prompt.

so if i boot up and there's not a connection...can i run "ipconfig /renew"?

or i may try resetting STB leaving PC on,though that is more of a pain

or i get BT/SKY

abailey152
03-12-2003, 02:03
so if i boot up and there's not a connection...can i run "ipconfig /renew"?

or i may try resetting STB leaving PC on,though that is more of a pain

or i get BT/SKY
Yep, ipconfig works as before......BUT,

When my BB connection "hangs", I normally have to do a soft reset on the STB anyway. Nothing I do at the pc end works.

BT/SKY *sigh* If only I could get BT ADSL.........I'd sign up tomorrow! Unfortunately I'm currently stuck with NTL BB. :cry:

th'engineer
04-12-2003, 07:21
Well another reboot this morning checked the STB log and yes the thing rebooted itself twice last night.

1.19am reboot
1.41am CM periodic Ranging Fail
2.03 CM operational
6.50 Reboot (me) to get a connection.

Any Ideas anyone

IP refresh did not work

If anyone from NTL has the ability to see the Log can they have a look at this problem

Florence
04-12-2003, 08:14
Well another reboot this morning checked the STB log and yes the thing rebooted itself twice last night.

1.19am reboot
1.41am CM periodic Ranging Fail
2.03 CM operational
6.50 Reboot (me) to get a connection.

Any Ideas anyone

IP refresh did not work

If anyone from NTL has the ability to see the Log can they have a look at this problem

Th'eng think you will have to call CS and they should arramge an engineer to replace it sounds like its going faulty unless NTL did an update to the firmware in the night...

th'engineer
04-12-2003, 08:41
Th'eng think you will have to call CS and they should arramge an engineer to replace it sounds like its going faulty unless NTL did an update to the firmware in the night...
I am sure that someone on here might be able to confirm or reject that view.

I am certain it was something updated might be a reason for other people having to reboot .

If you are having to reboot check your logs on the STB