PDA

View Full Version : Upload vs Download

Phenz
16-05-2006, 20:42
I can't get my head around the uploading slowing downloading factor on 10Meg.

i used to have 2Mb and i got consistantly high download speeds ~240KB/s from p2p if i capped my upload speed at 14KB/s

and i think that was 256 up

having now moved to 10Mbit i notice a steady decrease in download performance as i increase my upload rate beyond 25KB/s

Can anyone explain a way to get the best upload and download solution.

I usually download via torrents and the upload rate is a big issue.

Also, is there a way to check how much i've downloaded?

Chrysalis
16-05-2006, 22:16
increasing the rwin should help since you can download more per ack sent. Torrents by their nature will have a higher cost for upload since you needing to send a lot more ack packets for the multiple thread downloading.

Not sure why you even need to send at those speeds, set it to 10kB or something and leave at that.

Phenz
17-05-2006, 03:01
i always thought that with torrents, the faster your upload speed, the faster your download speed?

i've changed my rwin size and didn't see any change.

any other suggestions?

grubbymitts
17-05-2006, 06:45
i always thought that with torrents, the faster your upload speed, the faster your download speed?

Not necessarily - it's more like the more constant your upload speed the faster your download speed, but the faster your upload the more likely you will choke your download. On 2mb it is best to have a 10k upload (I found) and so 20k would probably be best with 10mb to get you the fast speeds. But, in the end, it is mainly to do with the seeders and their upload speeds.

dcclanuk
17-05-2006, 07:58
on my 10mb i have done like 450Kb/s down and 55 ish up and the same time no probs???

Paul
17-05-2006, 09:04
Mine is set to 25k up - except when only seeding - then I allow an extra 5k.

vaiolator
17-05-2006, 14:20
Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking this thread, but it seems a good place to ask this.
I am no expert in p2p stuff, and I am downloading a file (torrent) using shareaza. It is only downloading anywhere between 10 and 100 kb/s and the total uploads on the figures given is about 120kb/s.
Web browsing from my other computer is almost impossible whilst this is on, with speed test results of as low as 9kb/s,(yes kb not KB!) which even when added to the download already taking place, is only a small percentage of my theoretical maximum. I am on 2Mb.
Does anyone know why this is or how I can improve it? I have tried shareaza help pages, but cant find any thing there or in the settings about reducing uploads for torrents, which this thread indicates may help. My current speeds below, a little quicker than last night, but not great.
Thanks.

Wed, 17 May 2006 13:14:09 UTC

1st 512K took 64723 ms = 7.9 KB/sec, approx 65 Kbps, 0.06 Mbps
2nd 512K took 48360 ms = 10.6 KB/sec, approx 87 Kbps, 0.08 Mbps
3rd 512K took 56191 ms = 9.1 KB/sec, approx 75 Kbps, 0.07 Mbps
4th 512K took 57532 ms = 8.9 KB/sec, approx 73 Kbps, 0.07 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 75 Kbps, 0.07 Mbps

Zee
17-05-2006, 14:32
On torrents the max i've had was 900KB/s i was uploading at 15KB/s when i'm only seeding i allow the upload at 60KB/s

On P2P (Morpheus) the max download i've had was 1.3MB/s but no one was uploading from me at the time.

Chrysalis
18-05-2006, 04:14

i've changed my rwin size and didn't see any change.

any other suggestions?

many people think that and get told that since they have to be provided with incentives to upload more.

---------- Post added at 04:14 ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 ----------

on my 10mb i have done like 450Kb/s down and 55 ish up and the same time no probs???

I have done 1200kB down and 5kB up.

Number one factor for download speed is ratio of seeders to peers.

If their is a lot more seeders to peers which is generally the case on private torrents then your download speed will be high.

If their is more peers and as such they are your main source of data then you are going to have a low download speed. What then improves your speed is the number of upload slots (not speed) So 10 slots with 10 leechers getting 1kB each 10kB total is better then 2 slots getting 10kB each 20kB total. Your connectivity is improved and peers will prioritise sending data to other peers that are sending to them.

grubbymitts
18-05-2006, 14:21
Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking this thread, but it seems a good place to ask this.
I am no expert in p2p stuff, and I am downloading a file (torrent) using shareaza. It is only downloading anywhere between 10 and 100 kb/s and the total uploads on the figures given is about 120kb/s.
Web browsing from my other computer is almost impossible whilst this is on, with speed test results of as low as 9kb/s,(yes kb not KB!) which even when added to the download already taking place, is only a small percentage of my theoretical maximum.

You either

a) are throttling your upload. If you set your upload too high, it beggars up your browsing due to data packets fighting to get space on your line. Change your upload to 10k

b) have too many connections trying to grab pieces of the data you have. Limit the amount of connections down to 40 if on Win98 and 90 if on XP.

And dump Shareaza it's a bit cack. Those that still use Bit Torrent swear by utorrent or Bitcomet or Azureus.

vaiolator
19-05-2006, 20:29
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that too much upstream would have a bearing on my ability to browse web pages. I found a way of restricting uploads, although the figure i set it to and the amount I am told by Shareaza that's going, are not similar!
Thanks for the tips.