PDA

View Full Version : When do you put your decs up?

Chris
30-11-2003, 17:57
Christmas just gets earlier and earlier in the shops, and it seems people decorate their homes earlier than ever as well (judging by our estate anyway).

So, when do your decorations go up and why? What do you put up? And do you have any amusing Christmas decoration-related anecdotes to share?

The vote is specifically about that seemingly recent phenomenon, the external decoration of homes and gardens with coloured lights and increasingly elaborate tableaux.

Paul K
30-11-2003, 18:19
Don't even mention decorations :( I'm having a nightmare with them this year.
Lights front, side and back plus indoor stuff and the garden gets a few too.
Anecdotes? Would tell you about watching £200 worth of rope light smoke away quite merrily today or the time I went face first onto our concrete patio from about 20 feet up while putting some lights on the wall but neither were amusing at the time. :scratch:
Why do they get put up so early? Takes time to wire it all in and I work in the afternoons so I only get a couple of hours here and there when it's not raining.

Stu038
30-11-2003, 18:40
While it can be nice to see them all over the place I'm too tight to put them up myself ;)
Seeing them in September is much too soon though, a week or so before is more than enough otherwise by the time christmas eventually arrives evryones had it shoved down their throats for far too long and the novelty has worn off for the kids, Its hard enough keeping them interested in somthing for more than a few days let alone months :(

marcsparks2002
30-11-2003, 18:51
this is our house as of today three kids to amuse you see well 4 but shes only 8 weeks so doesnt really mind !altho the picture doesnt really do it justice as you cant see all of the lights as they flash at diffrent times :D

Chris
30-11-2003, 19:01
this is our house as of today three kids to amuse you see well 4 but shes only 8 weeks so doesnt really mind !altho the picture doesnt really do it justice as you cant see all of the lights as they flash at diffrent times :D

Man, that must've cost you a fortune! Respect to you tho', it must've also taken ages to put up. Do you have a small nuclear reactor in the shed to keep it running? :D

marcsparks2002
30-11-2003, 19:05
Man, that must've cost you a fortune! Respect to you tho', it must've also taken ages to put up. Do you have a small nuclear reactor in the shed to keep it running? :D

About 4 hours for 2 of us cost wasnt as bad as you may think :disturbd: altho some may think that £150 is OTT but we have built it up over a couple of years and having a friend in the trade helps :smokin: im in the market for a cheap reactor as we speak lol put it this way the meter is spinning full speed atm lol

Marc

Paul K
30-11-2003, 19:39
About 4 hours for 2 of us cost wasnt as bad as you may think :disturbd: altho some may think that £150 is OTT but we have built it up over a couple of years and having a friend in the trade helps :smokin: im in the market for a cheap reactor as we speak lol put it this way the meter is spinning full speed atm lol

Marc
£150 OTT? Nah, spent that on one big light string that a drunken prat decided to pull down and run off with :cry: Now we put everything up higher to try and stop it happening again. Will post pics when I finish the damn things.
Nice lights Marc :tu:

Jerrek
30-11-2003, 19:58
Before Thanksgiving until just after New Year's. We take it off the first over-cast day that it isn't snowing. Clear days are just too damn cold.

yesman
30-11-2003, 20:12
Christmas Eve.

Chimaera
30-11-2003, 20:27
Used to be 5th December - my daughter's birthday is the 6th and when she was little the look on her face when she got up on her birthday was amazing!

Now she is older - usually the week before Christmas, but a couple of times I haven't bothered!!

swoop101
30-11-2003, 22:33
Just finished putting the flaming things up, I am totaly knackered now :spin:

I/we normally put them up the first sunday in december, but the kids have been invited to parties every weekend until christmas, so it was today or during the week after doing my usual 11/12 hour shift. :eek:

The kids did the tree this year, now Mrs Swoop is moaning :spin: :grind:

Roll on January :D

Paul
30-11-2003, 22:35
We put them up after my Daughters birthday (which is the 5th) so that she feels her birthday and Xmas are two seperate things.

aliferste
30-11-2003, 22:38
I loathe seeing houses done up with a gazillion lights .......santas sled on the roof and a weeing donkey against a tree.

Id hate to be a neighbour!!

Paul K
30-11-2003, 22:52
I loathe seeing houses done up with a gazillion lights .......santas sled on the roof and a weeing donkey against a tree.

Id hate to be a neighbour!!
Weeing donkey against a tree? Wonder where I can get one of those :naughty: Neighbours? Don't get me started, who do you think gets to put his disabled neighbours' lights up too :(

Marge
30-11-2003, 23:35
Don't bother - full stop, what a waste of time :grind:

Stuart
30-11-2003, 23:39
Don't bother - full stop, what a waste of time :grind:
So, it's a case of "Bah Humbug" from you then....

We normally put our decs up (inside the house only, none outside) a week before Xmas and take then down before new year. The only part I don't like is having to go up to the loft the get the f**king things, then having to put them back up there a couple of weeks later (Don't like climbing ladders, have a few bad experiences).

Marge
30-11-2003, 23:46
Yep ;) I don't own one Christmas decoration or a Christmas tree, the bluddy cat used to knock the old one down so i gave up lol

Maggy
30-11-2003, 23:58
Can't vote as there is no slot for crimbo eve.

We put ours up crimbo eve and take 'em down on 6th January(12th night).12th night we finish off any food that is remotely crimbo in origin eg nuts,chocs,biccies and that's it until the next crimbo.

incog. :wavey:

Paul K
01-12-2003, 00:16
Snippy
12th night we finish off any food that is remotely crimbo in origin eg nuts,chocs,biccies and that's it until the next crimbo.
incog. :wavey:
Now thats a good plan :tu:
Shame I'm busy on the 24th though;)

dieselking
01-12-2003, 00:17
Either the day before Christmas Eve or actually on Christmas Eve (probably because there are no little kids in our house) :)

EDIT & no one can really be bothered to put them up LOL

Maggy
01-12-2003, 00:20
Either the day before Christmas Eve or actually on Christmas Eve (probably because there are no little kids in our house) :)

When our kids were small we started with the crimbo eve idea because it made crimbo much shorter and we could keep the excitement to some sort of time scale.;)

incog. :angel:

dieselking
01-12-2003, 00:29
When our kids were small we started with the crimbo eve idea because it made crimbo much shorter and we could keep the excitement to some sort of time scale.;)

incog. :angel:

That sounds like a good idea Coggy :) When me & my brother were little our mum & dad did put them up sooner but there's only me & my parents at home we don't seem to bother the same. I think we mainly do put them up for my brother & sister kids who always come to our house around Christmas :)

Paul K
01-12-2003, 00:33
That sounds like a good idea Coggy :) When me & my brother were little our mum & dad did put them up sooner but there's only me & my parents at home we don't seem to bother the same. I think we mainly do put them up for my brother & sister kids who always come to our house around Christmas :)
Yep, :(

handyman
01-12-2003, 00:50
We used to pop them up just before all the xmas telly starts, seems plain wrong to be watching the 'santa clause' etc without decs up and a bowl of nuts/sweets on the table. So I guess that makes me a double edition radio times timescale type person. Tradition is a glass of sherry after putting up the decs also.