PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best present for a newborn

Millay
16-05-2006, 01:35
My best friends g/f has just gone into labour.. whats the best kinda present to buy when you go visit...?

Paul K
16-05-2006, 06:13
Well you can't buy sleep off the shelf so I would go for a teddy/ card combi and then get your G/f to check as to whether they need anything in particular (baby grows, little socks and mits etc.) Gloves are normally a good way of stopping junior from scratching when nails start growing ;)

orangebird
16-05-2006, 07:57
My best friends g/f has just gone into labour.. whats the best kinda present to buy when you go visit...?
A special Baby's photo album. Very old fashioned, but lovely idea. I know you can have your piccies on the copmuter etc, but there's something special about browsing through a proper old photo album. I have a digital camera, but with the kids photos, I always print them and make picture frames/collages of them. :tu:

Angua
16-05-2006, 09:20
Something for the New Mum..

Everyone gets thing for the baby and the poor mum gets forgotten in the scrum. Chocolates are good from you and remind your best mate to get something pampering like Sanctuary Products for his girlfriend.

orangebird
16-05-2006, 09:25

Everyone gets thing for the baby and the poor mum gets forgotten in the scrum. Chocolates are good from you and remind your best mate to get something pampering like Sanctuary Products for his girlfriend.

Oh yes, Sanctuary stuff - Mande Lular Scrub is gorgeous, so it the foot souffle.

Nugget
16-05-2006, 09:25

That's a good point - Mrs Nug got quite a few Avent 'Future Mother' things, so that might be worth looking at :)

Halcyon
16-05-2006, 11:08
Good idea OB with the photo album. You can never take too many photos so a nice album is a great idea.

Maggy
16-05-2006, 11:30
How about an IOU for a future time period when your mate and the mother to be want some time together without the new arrival.And yes it will happen.

Or a promise to step in and babysit when new mum needs an afternoon nap?

Don't bother with the chocolates 'cos she'll be wanting to lose some weight.The pampering of the body will be a better idea.So combining the babysitting offer with a voucher for a body massage at a local health and beauty salon or gym might be most effective.:)

Scarlett
16-05-2006, 11:56
Good idea OB with the photo album. You can never take too many photos so a nice album is a great idea.

We spotted somethig else a bit different allong those lines, its a book type photo album with a sheet of clay in it so you can take hand/foot prints to go along side the photo. The clay can be baked in the oven to keep the imprints forever.

Here is what I am talking about (http://cgi.ebay.com/SCULPEY-POLYMER-CLAY-KEEPSAKE-BABY-PICTURE-FRAME-KIT_W0QQitemZ8252336097QQcategoryZ28104QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) but its not in the uk

But here's the uk place for ordering... (http://www.craftyarts.co.uk/acatalog/Moulding_Materials.html) its 6 items down. The price quoted is the same as it was in the craft shop I saw it in originally.

Chris
16-05-2006, 12:02

If you are looking at pampering products, avoid anything with essential oils in it. Essential oils should be avoided by breastfeeding mothers (and you won't know whether she is or not).

They will go through shampoo, soft wipes and nappies like they're going out of fashion. A crate of that stuff would go down a treat (even if they don't know it yet).

If you go for baby clothes, buy 6-12 month outfits. They will have more than enough newborn stuff already. Don't forget though that six months from now is autumn/winter, so if you do that, don't buy summer clothes!

If you buy clothes, wait to find out if it's a boy or girl then buy as appropriate.

HTH

TheBlueRaja
16-05-2006, 12:58
A pack of condoms?

Ok, technically not for the mum but...

Chris
16-05-2006, 13:07
A pack of condoms?

A baseball bat for the mum would be more appropriate. She's not going to want him near her for weeks.

Millay
16-05-2006, 14:29
Thanks for the tips people.. I am going to go shoping shortly.. although im now worried as I have not heard anything since 5:30 am this morning.. but these things can take time..

Scarlett
16-05-2006, 14:45
How about a pair of these (http://www.elvex.com/prod021.htm) ? At least one of them will be able to get some sleep...

Thanks for the tips people.. I am going to go shoping shortly.. although im now worried as I have not heard anything since 5:30 am this morning.. but these things can take time..

I know that a friend of mine took 24 hours...

Pia
16-05-2006, 15:52
I know that a friend of mine took 24 hours...
I was in labour for an hour :D :PP: /off brag mode
I'd get her one of these in case she has stitches, might help!:disturbd: :rofl: http://www.pmate.co.uk/
(As previously posted by Angua-blame her:p:)

Tuftus
16-05-2006, 16:49
A pack of condoms?

LOL I was going to suggest earplugs!

Maggy
16-05-2006, 16:54
A pack of condoms?

LOL I was going to suggest earplugs!

Actually that is not a bad idea.Even when a new mum can get an hour or two while her partner does the baby duties she WILL have trouble sleeping.:)

Millay
16-05-2006, 19:02
Well the baby was born at lunchtime today and so it was an 11 hour labour.

it was a healthy boy weiging in at 5lb10oz mother and baby are at home relaxing..

homealone
16-05-2006, 19:08
Well the baby was born at lunchtime today and so it was an 11 hour labour.

it was a healthy boy weiging in at 5lb10oz mother and baby are at home relaxing..

well done mum :tu:

I'd also like to add my vote for the photo album idea, our neighbour had a little girl, recently, we bought them a posh photo album & they were chuffed to bits with it :)

Scrubbs
16-05-2006, 19:32
well done mum:D

premium bonds are good 'cos you never know;)

homealone
16-05-2006, 19:39
well done mum:D

premium bonds are good 'cos you never know;)

not a bad idea, my son was given some & he won £500 when he was 13 :)

Marge
16-05-2006, 19:44
Babygro's, Socks, Sleepsuits, Vests, Nappies and Sudocrem ;)

__spc__
16-05-2006, 19:55
I'd get her one of these in case she has stitches, might help!:disturbd: :rofl: http://www.pmate.co.uk/

Been browsing this forum all night - funniest thing I saw. I suggested the wife get one so we can have a competition after the drunken BBQ in the back garden!!

Maggy
16-05-2006, 20:37

Been browsing this forum all night - funniest thing I saw. I suggested the wife get one so we can have a competition after the drunken BBQ in the back garden!!

I hope they come in bigger sizes than that one...:erm:

Nidge
17-05-2006, 05:21
Get it an ASBO ready for when it turns a teenager:D

budwieser
17-05-2006, 23:21

How about a big Hug! [[[[[[[[[[:>)]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]:D
And a promise.:)