PDA

View Full Version : bit confused?

asp2k6
15-05-2006, 19:30
Decided to ring ntl today to upgrade from 2mb to 10mb they said reboot the modem then wait which i did but no 10mb speed still 2mb then 4hrs later rang ntl again and was told to turn my pc, modem off for 5 to 10 minutes and still no upgrade just wondered when does this upgrade decide to work any help would be grateful they also mentined someting about 24hrs

Marge
15-05-2006, 19:33
:welcome:

Sounds like it hasn't been upgraded as it happens almost instanteously. Can I ask where in the country you are as in some areas the billing and modem are on one account and in the other areas there are two separate accounts so it could be possible that the billing account has been changed but not the actual modem itself.....

asp2k6
15-05-2006, 19:34
im in gosport hampshire is that any more help any advice cheers

Marge
15-05-2006, 19:38
Ok, you're in the area where the billing/modem are on one account so it should have been changed. tbh I would call back and ask them to double check exactly what has been changed, just to be sure they are looking at the right thing ask them what MAC address they have you down for ;)

asp2k6
15-05-2006, 19:46
no offence if u work for them but they are idiots there not even helpful our the say u didnt downpower ure modem properly also put new router into day could that be the cause

__spc__
15-05-2006, 20:16
no offence if u work for them but they are idiots there not even helpful our the say u didnt downpower ure modem properly also put new router into day could that be the cause

Sounds to me like you're not being clear with customer services - I had to read your post three times before I understood it.

I've had lots to do with ntl over the last 5 yrs, and as of the last 2, CS has been excellent.

I suggest you leave the router out of the equation until you have the speeds sorted.

What speed are you getting now? Are your MTU and RWIN settings optimised for 10Mb broadband? (Go to www.dslreports.com/tweaks to check).

asp2k6
15-05-2006, 20:48
ok sorry about the dodgy post earlier but in my router setup page im using a linksys should ihave mtu enabled or disabled

__spc__
15-05-2006, 21:09
NP.

MTU/RWIN are not set in the router pages.

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks : Follow the instructions for the java test applet. MTU should be 1500 for ntl.

BTW - you've done the usual security stuff for the WiFi, yes? Changed the default 'admin' password on the router, and set the encryption to WPA-PSK. Forget any other nonsense like hide SSID, MAC or IP filtering.