PDA

View Full Version : National Firms against Local Firms -Central Heating & Windows

carlingman
14-05-2006, 23:32
Well am about to go through two major changes on the household front and replace some Windows and also the Central Heating system.

Has anyone used the big firms compared to the local firms ?

I.e. British Gas for central heating replacement against a local firm or say for example staybrite windows against a local firm for windows.

I am only at the quote stage at the moment so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have had one rough estimate so far from British Gas supplied by the guy who did my annual service inspection on the fire and back boiler who quoted †“

Remove old central heating system
Supply and fit 6 radiators, tank, back boiler, thermostat controlled

And he roughly estimated for 3 bed semi detached between £2500 and £3000

He would not answer any questions in relation to what happens with fitted carpets and floor boards that were lifted to remove and refit as to whether they put them back as they were and offered to arrange another installs engineer to call for a full survey.

Another local gas fitting service has advised they leave it is as they find it after their work is completed and will even give me the option of where I want the new rads fitted etc regardless of the current locations which sounds good.

If anyone has recently had any of the above jobs done then I would be grateful to hear your opinions.

:)

zrerz
15-05-2006, 00:42
don't own my own house (just rent) but the housing association (my landlords) always deal with local traders, as they feel they get better value this way, plus they can be contacted quickly if problems arise.
They've just put in new windows front and back (just waiting now for the new UPVC security doors), and central heating guys did everything 100% perfect, including relaying carpets etc, so may well be worth looking at local firms and see how prices compare.
Good luck.

Paul
15-05-2006, 00:53
I had all our double glazing (and conservatory) done by a local two man firm - a hell of a lot cheaper than any national company. I had all our radiators modernised, and new ones fitted by a local plumber.

The only thing done by a national company was the boiler replacement - that was British Gas.

IMO, well established local are generally much better value, they have to be to survive.

(Ask friends for recommendations).

DaggaDagga
15-05-2006, 01:56
Have you considered an instant system instead of a back boiler and tank? We have a combi-boiler. It's brill - limitless hot water, when you need it and you're not paying to heat 100 gallons of water to wash your hands.

We replaced our back boiler with this system exactly a year ago.

Of course, you'd need to put it somewhere. But at least then you won't have to listen to the boiler hissing away in the living room, and you can have a nice flush fire too.

You'll also get rid of the hot water tank and the header tank in the loft.

Nidge
15-05-2006, 05:01
I've had a local firms for windows and plumbing, Ive been well satisfied with the service and the price, all this hype about you get a 10 year guarantee with all our windows and doors, there is nothing to go wrong with windows and doors, they don't have a motor or anything to go wrong.

I've had a local lad to do the central heating servicing, he's £40 cheaper than British Gas all corgi registered so that'll do for me.

ian@huth
15-05-2006, 09:44
With replacement windows it is best to get several quotes from both national and local companies. It is amazing how prices will topple when you play one off against the other. We had the whole house done, doors, windows and patio door, in woodgrain finish and diamond leading by a national company and paid just over £3k for the lot. Their original estimate was over £10k. It helped a lot having my daughter working for one of the countries largest uPVC extruding companies and getting expert opinion on the various companies products and prices. Keep teling the national companies that they are too expensive and they will keep coming back with even cheaper offers.

carlingman
16-05-2006, 00:06
:tu: Thanks all am now shopping around.

:D

Nidge
16-05-2006, 05:04
With replacement windows it is best to get several quotes from both national and local companies. It is amazing how prices will topple when you play one off against the other. We had the whole house done, doors, windows and patio door, in woodgrain finish and diamond leading by a national company and paid just over £3k for the lot. Their original estimate was over £10k. It helped a lot having my daughter working for one of the countries largest uPVC extruding companies and getting expert opinion on the various companies products and prices. Keep teling the national companies that they are too expensive and they will keep coming back with even cheaper offers.

Will that be Synseal:D

---------- Post added at 05:04 ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 ----------

Give Cash and Carry Windows a ring on Hermatage Lane in Mansfield, they'll kill any quote.

Angua
16-05-2006, 09:26
Chances are with some national Double Glazing firms it will be a local chap who is sub contracted (so go local) same goes for Central Heating (Condensing Combi Boiler needs an outside wall away from windows but best bet). Just had a couple of doors fitted (non standard size) by a local chap who hasn't advertised (apart from Yellow Pages) for over 16 years & did an excellent job £600 cheaper than a quote I got 2 years ago.

budwieser
17-05-2006, 23:24
Well am about to go through two major changes on the household front and replace some Windows and also the Central Heating system.

Has anyone used the big firms compared to the local firms ?

I.e. British Gas for central heating replacement against a local firm or say for example staybrite windows against a local firm for windows.

I am only at the quote stage at the moment so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have had one rough estimate so far from British Gas supplied by the guy who did my annual service inspection on the fire and back boiler who quoted †“

Remove old central heating system
Supply and fit 6 radiators, tank, back boiler, thermostat controlled

And he roughly estimated for 3 bed semi detached between £2500 and £3000

He would not answer any questions in relation to what happens with fitted carpets and floor boards that were lifted to remove and refit as to whether they put them back as they were and offered to arrange another installs engineer to call for a full survey.

Another local gas fitting service has advised they leave it is as they find it after their work is completed and will even give me the option of where I want the new rads fitted etc regardless of the current locations which sounds good.

If anyone has recently had any of the above jobs done then I would be grateful to hear your opinions.

Whatever you do, do NOT use Zenith. Good quality stuff but expensive and they will hound you forever!:( :disturbd: :td:

carlingman
25-05-2006, 00:33
Well update time -

Been shopping about mainly for the windows side of it and have had a few local quotes for supply only and supply and fit.

Also used these guys http://www2.priceengine.co.uk/

Within 8 hours of submitting a request have three offers.

Basically what they do is souce the three cheapest most reputable quotes from people within your area.

Two of which are local guys and the other is anglian windows who are coming Friday night (they offered weekend as well) for a free no obligation quote valid for 6 months with a price promise as well.

Central heating wise Bristish Gas is winning so far.

Thanks again for all the tips.

carlingman
27-05-2006, 02:19
Update -

PVCU Windows Wise -

Anglian windows came tonight and supplied the following quote for 1 very large window with two side openers and 1 middle top opener, 1 medium sized window with 1 side opener and 1 top opener and a door with surround hald panel and half semi frosted glass.

Started with £5800 then proclaimed we have our 40th anniversary sale on and dropped the price to £3480 and then further procalimed we have a buy any door with one window price for £99.

So he deeducted the orginal price of the door and surround and added back on the £99 and the total price came out to £2250 for two windows and a door plus surround.

He then took a further 10% off as if I use their credit then the credit providers give the 10% discount and it can be paid off instantly with no penaltys.

So ultimately £2025 for the job and he left with no hard sell aproach just his business card with a let me know while the offer still stands for 6 months approach.

Angua
27-05-2006, 08:59
Get your local quotes too, they will offer discounts for prompt payment and none of the flim flam of door plus window or anniversary discounts.

carlingman
31-05-2006, 01:30
Get your local quotes too, they will offer discounts for prompt payment and none of the flim flam of door plus window or anniversary discounts.

Well some more updates for those that are interested.

Two more quotes -

Safestyle - waste of effing time and wanted £4k plus discount even with their buy one get one free offer came out at £2.5k and not very good quality of window or door.

Local firm wanted close to £3k no hard sell and no negotiation.

2nd local firm this time not a solely windows fitter but a general builder wanted around £2k but maybe more depending on the day and the problems incurred and would not committ to a price.

Then the final one from window quoter - Embassy Windows just over £1.5k with free annual maintenance for 10 years, 24 hour call out etc etc sounded good but pushy installer who did not seem to want to leave the house until i signed there and then.

In the end told him not committing to anything on the spot so to speak then it dropped to £1.5k if i have a board in the front garden while the work is being done.

Under orders now and the other half has won so looks like we be going the anglian route, slightly dearer but quality is far better.

Thanks for all the advice, but ffs never realised it would be soo much trouble to get a couple of windows and a door fitted.

Druchii
31-05-2006, 01:34
Funny you should say that, local installer round here, well known has offered just £700 to fit full back windows and doors :) Free fitting as we know them personally ;)

High quality and don't slack, looks like they needed the work.

ian@huth
31-05-2006, 09:57
Update -

PVCU Windows Wise -

Anglian windows came tonight and supplied the following quote for 1 very large window with two side openers and 1 middle top opener, 1 medium sized window with 1 side opener and 1 top opener and a door with surround hald panel and half semi frosted glass.

Started with £5800 then proclaimed we have our 40th anniversary sale on and dropped the price to £3480 and then further procalimed we have a buy any door with one window price for £99.

So he deeducted the orginal price of the door and surround and added back on the £99 and the total price came out to £2250 for two windows and a door plus surround.

He then took a further 10% off as if I use their credit then the credit providers give the 10% discount and it can be paid off instantly with no penaltys.

So ultimately £2025 for the job and he left with no hard sell aproach just his business card with a let me know while the offer still stands for 6 months approach.

:)That still seems a tad expensive so I would push them to get it a bit lower.

Several years ago we were getting quotes for windows from several companies both local and national. They all started around the £6k mark but came down rapidly when played one off against the other. Ended up with them all quoting sub £2k. One of the companies bought their windows from Synseal where my daughter worked so I was able to find out exactly what they were paying for the windows. According to their sales blurb it was free fitting for the windows. Their final quote was £1950 for windows which they were buying for £810, nice mark up.

I would give them a call and tell them that you have had quotes from several companies and have narrowed down the choice to them and another company. Say that the other company quoted £250 or so less but you would rather buy from a company that you had heard good reports about so what can they do to persuade you to use them. It's worth giving it a try.

Scarlett
31-05-2006, 10:28
Actually Zenith might be expensive but they are good quality, we've just had our doors replaced by them to have cat flaps put in. They also do a 10 year guarentee on the windows and doors and they build the windows to the size of the window and not a generic window size.

As for central heating, the cost sounds quite good as we've just paid for a new boiler, some pipe work and new thermostats at just under 3K However it makes it damn clear that any carpets are our problem to re-lay, not theirs.

So national for windows and local for heating.