PDA

View Full Version : cannot access a particualr website

alx100
14-05-2006, 16:03
Hi

I hope you can help.
Firstly, i hope this is in the right place.

I cannot get onto the gamespot website. The link is www.gamespot.com (http://www.gamespot.com/)

I could access it fine a couple of days ago, but not it doesent seem to load for me. Other people have said they can access it fine.
When i try to access it, i get a "cannot be found/this page cannot be displayed" message in Internet Explorer 6.

I have not installed any new software/hardware recently, so i dont understand.

On the advice of someone else, i have also tried a tracert from a 'cmd' window, and apparently, this was all ok. (Many of the domain names were above.net, and the last line was c17-gs-ww-lb.cnet.com

The computer that i am having the problem accessing the site is running Win XP SP1, Norton Interet Security 2003, Microsoft Antispy, NTL 2MB BB. I also have a wireless router connected to this computer which is transmitting the wireless singal to my other computer, which also cannot access the website.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Also, i,m not that technically knoweldgable!

Thanks

Scrubbs
14-05-2006, 16:06
I don't have a problem, maybe your proxies?

alx100
14-05-2006, 16:07
thanks for your reply.

when you say "proxies", what do i need to do to change/understand this?

Druchii
14-05-2006, 16:08
No problems with the site at all, which to me says NTL's proxies once more...

Take a look here for ways the chang and use a different proxy until you have one that works decently - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?c=16

homealone
14-05-2006, 16:19
here seems to be a re-direct on the URL you posted, linking to

http://uk.gamespot.com/

which loads ok, for me

alx100
14-05-2006, 16:28
well, as i live in leicester, i was connected to one of the leicester proxy servers.

I then changed it to the Nottingham one, and it seems to load now!

But it says on the website for which i found the instructions on how to change the proxy that this should only be a temporary measure?
So, should i change back?

Also, do i need to do the same thing, (change proxy to the Nottingham one), on my other computer?

thanks

Druchii
14-05-2006, 16:39
well, as i live in leicester, i was connected to one of the leicester proxy servers. I then changed it to the Nottingham one, and it seems to load now! But it says on the website for which i found the instructions on how to change the proxy that this should only be a temporary measure? So, should i change back? Also, do i need to do the same thing, (change proxy to the Nottingham one), on my other computer? thanks Yes you need to chnage it on the other computer if you want to visit that site, although i'd only change it if you need to really.

It's a temporary measure as NTL should fix that proxy server that is causing issues, and then you can switch back to it again. Just test it tomorrow and see if its working, if it is, keep the leicester proxy.

alx100
14-05-2006, 16:50
thanks

so to go back to my old settings, i just need to "uncheck" the "use proxy server..." box in the advanced LAN settings located within Internet Options?

Druchii
14-05-2006, 16:52
thanks so to go back to my old settings, i just need to "uncheck" the "use proxy server..." box in the advanced LAN settings located within Internet Options? If all you did was add the proxy to there then yes.

Stu038
14-05-2006, 17:28
Just seems to be cache 7 thats causeing a problem I can get there through the others. I'll check it tomorrow and chase it up with the server bods if its not working by lunchtime ish.

jtwn
14-05-2006, 17:36
:tu:

Stu, do you know why it happens? The proxy server fail to cache the page properly or something?

alx100
14-05-2006, 17:39
thanks very much Stu038.

that would be most helpful!

James Henry
14-05-2006, 18:24
Just seems to be cache 7 thats causeing a problem I can get there through the others. I'll check it tomorrow and chase it up with the server bods if its not working by lunchtime ish.

Blimey is there no limits to this man's talents!

Druchii
14-05-2006, 18:27
Blimey is there no limits to this man's talents! Doesn't seem to be an end insight...

Chrysalis
14-05-2006, 19:56
confirmed not working on leics auto selected proxy.

good stuff stu popped up :)

Stu038
14-05-2006, 22:56
:tu:

Stu, do you know why it happens? The proxy server fail to cache the page properly or something?

Nope not a clue, I just know a little more about checking them than the general public and which number to ring when they arn't working ;)
Not that they always believe me :(

Where's Ignition when you need him lol

jtwn
14-05-2006, 23:21
Ah k, thanks. As a 'wild assumption' I'm guessing not very far away at all.....

alx100
16-05-2006, 20:43
hi,

just to say that i went back to my normal leicester proxy, and gamespot is working ok now!

Druchii
16-05-2006, 22:34
Ah, they fixed the issues then, great :)

And you learned something in the process.

alx100
17-05-2006, 08:57
Ah, they fixed the issues then, great :)

And you learned something in the process.

yes, this is absolutley true!
I know how to change the proxy thing when a site doesent work!

Thanks - all been a great help!

user2006
17-05-2006, 16:35
well, as i live in leicester, i was connected to one of the leicester proxy servers.

I then changed it to the Nottingham one, and it seems to load now!

But it says on the website for which i found the instructions on how to change the proxy that this should only be a temporary measure?
So, should i change back?

Also, do i need to do the same thing, (change proxy to the Nottingham one), on my other computer?

thanks

I'm just outside leicester centre and can never get onto http://www.ebuyer.com Is there something that we can do other than changing our proxy server all the time?