PDA

View Full Version : Carpets!!

LSainsbury
14-05-2006, 14:09
Hi,

Anybody here with experience with carpet buying / fitting etc?

Anybody used Carpet Right - any good?

Tips for buying?

Cheers!
Lee

Chris W
14-05-2006, 14:23
Which rooms are the carpets for? Hallway, lounge etc need to me much more hard wearing than bedrooms/ upstairs.

you tend to get what you pay for though- cheap carpet won't last as long as good quality expensive stuff...

LSainsbury
14-05-2006, 14:26
Been to CarpetRight today and they quoted ~£1500 @ £13.99S qm to do the hall, stairs, lounge and two bedrooms of a 2 bedroom house - same carpet throughout. Sound about right?

Jules
14-05-2006, 14:26
You will find a lot of places will offer free fitting as long as you buy a certain type of underlay which can be quite expensive so you may be better laying it yourself if you know how to :)

That quote you have had seems a bit on the high side to me

LSainsbury
14-05-2006, 14:33
The dimensions we gave are very approximate - to get an actual quote they will need to measure up correctly...

Paul K
14-05-2006, 14:35
Is that with fitting, grippers etc, threshold strips and underlay?

LSainsbury
14-05-2006, 14:38
Is that with fitting, grippers etc, threshold strips and underlay?

I believe so - fully fitted.

greencreeper
14-05-2006, 17:31
You can always cut more off, but you can't stick more on.

skyblueheroes
14-05-2006, 18:00
Sounds about right. I paid £230 plus £30 fitting for my stairs and landing. That included one strip and the best underlay - it was about a med priced carpet.

I would recommned good underlay and go for a hardwearing carpet for the hall, stairs and landing. The expensive wool ones are not the best to go for in that area as they catch and pull a lot.

And at that sort of price though I can get a new one for the stairs in a few years if it looks too tired.

Ramrod
14-05-2006, 18:28
Make sure you buy a good underlay....that way it doesn't need replacing when you change the carpet. We got the most expensive underlay and (pretty much) the cheapest carpet because we had babies. The cheap carpet felt luxurious because of the thick underlay and now that we want to replace the mullered carpet we aren't too bothered 'cos it wasn't expensive in the first place. :D

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Been to CarpetRight today and they quoted ~£1500 @ £13.99S qm to do the hall, stairs, lounge and two bedrooms of a 2 bedroom house - same carpet throughout. Sound about right?£ 1500 is slightly high imo. We had a house done (2 receptions, stairs+nosings, 3 'bedrooms', 2 halls, all boarded first) for £1400. That was in mid Kent 2 years ago. Then again, Mandy just tells me that the carpet we put in there was about £7/m so that price may be just about ok. :tu:

Nidge
14-05-2006, 18:37
Carpet Right have always been ok with me, mind you when you have a mate who runs a shop for them in Mansfield Woodhouse he looks after you when you buy carpets from him.

LSainsbury
14-05-2006, 21:35
Cheers for the replies - and RamRod's entry about expensive underlay / el cheepo carpet :p:

We'll no doubt have to get somebody in to measure up the place and get a decent quote - my betting is that will go up even further.

When we told the salesman waht we wanted - how took us directly to a 13.99sqm carpet which he claied was fully stain resistant and they had it in their floor ( the shop that is...)

He also ask if we had a budget - we say not at the moment - perhaps that was our mistake! Perhaps we'll be able to get that price down a few hundred quid! :tu:

greencreeper
14-05-2006, 22:07
When we told the salesman waht we wanted - how took us directly to a 13.99sqm carpet which he claied was fully stain resistant and they had it in their floor ( the shop that is...)
When I was a teenager I used to work for a sofa shop - advertising executive. The owner would have a sale pitch that included claiming that his "Aunt has one of these sofas and loves it". I think she must have a lot of sofas :D

He also ask if we had a budget - we say not at the moment - perhaps that was our mistake! Perhaps we'll be able to get that price down a few hundred quid! :tu:
Never tell a salesman your budget - he'll have a something/deal that happens to just be within your budget. Amazing. Knock a few hundred off if you really have to tell.

LSainsbury
14-05-2006, 22:18
Never tell a salesman your budget - he'll have a something/deal that happens to just be within your budget. Amazing. Knock a few hundred off if you really have to tell.

So when it comes to buying and they qoute ~£1500 and we say "Well - we didn't want to spend more than £1000 'cus we have other stuff to buy blah...blah...blah..." - what else can we use in our ammo to get the price down?

Chimaera
14-05-2006, 22:22
Go to leave the store - I bet you don't get as far as the door! I didn't when I went to get our carpet - our local branch doesn't seem to be doing that well, and they were very keen to get the sale.

greencreeper
14-05-2006, 22:49
I'd say £1300 if my budget was £1500 - see how far I could get. If they want the sale, they'll make it happen. It sort of empowers you when you know they're on commission - can have them running around after you :D

LSainsbury
15-05-2006, 07:22
BTW - if you also check the Carpet Right website you'll see it's 60% off time...

What annoys me is how they can justify the cost in the first place?
For instance - I recently saw a 3 piece suite for £399 - originaly £1500 :Yikes:

Rip-off Britain again?

Ramrod
15-05-2006, 09:23
What annoys me is how they can justify the cost in the first place?
For instance - I recently saw a 3 piece suite for £399 - originaly £1500 :Yikes:
Yeah but they are talking boll*cks there to make it look like a great deal. The item was probably that (artificially inflated) price in one store for a month so that they can legally say the price has been reduced.

Jules
15-05-2006, 10:55
I would tell them that I have a budget of £1000 and see what they say

Chris
15-05-2006, 12:42
To echo Ramrod's point - good underlay is almost more important than what carpet you buy. It can significantly prolong the life of even a modest quality carpet.

LSainsbury
15-05-2006, 13:01
OK - well we are still in the process of looking around so will post a follow-up in the next few weeks! Thanks for the advice so far!

Lee