PDA

View Full Version : 10M Problems

stonedandhappy
13-05-2006, 17:32
Hey guys.

Looking for a bit of help here.

I've recently moved house and have got 10Mb broadband installed. The problem is I am getting nowhere near the speeds I should be getting.

I used to stay at my dads house and had the 10Mb connection there too and speeds were fine, around 1.3Mb down.

At present I get around the 500kb mark. It maxed last week at just under 650kb.

I am using the same hardware set up as before. A wireless network using a Trendnet TEW-231BRP router, a TrendnetTEW-229UB Wireless USB adapter. I am still staying in the same region and basically nothing has change except the house that I am staying in.

I decided to ditch the wireless option and ran a cable from the router to the PC to see if there was any change in speed but alas no difference.

At my previous address I ran both wired and wireless options and with both I reached around 1Mb downstream.

I have called customer support and after running a wire directly from the modem to the PC we established that I am on a 10Mb connection and that the problem is with the router.

What really 'Pee Pee'es me off that I have changed no hardware at all and I am only getting roughly half of the speed that I should be getting.

I have done numerous speed tests from numerous sites and they all come up pish. The one on this site says that I am only on a 2MB connection.

Can anyone help here or has anyone here had a similar problem and found a solution to it.

Running cables isn't and option and I can't afford a new router, nor do I want to buy one as this one is only 3 months old.

I was considering downgrading my connection, as that is roughly the speed I am getting anyway, but I am contracted into 12 months at 10Mb.

Thanks one and all in advance for all your help.

Scrubbs
13-05-2006, 17:57
have you done a search of the forums? There maybe some info there

stonedandhappy
14-05-2006, 12:17
Found my problem.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.4 dBmV.

Think that could be the cause.

chrisjackson1985
14-05-2006, 14:45
i aint too sure...

mine says -9.3 which isnt too much of a difference and i get pretty darn close to the full whack.

opelfruitcase
14-05-2006, 15:55
I was considering downgrading my connection, as that is roughly the speed I am getting anyway, but I am contracted into 12 months at 10Mb.

No your not, your contracted to keep a broadband connection for 12 months, but you can chop and change your service level as much as you want.