PDA

View Full Version : The paper girls are getting younger round here.

Paul
13-05-2006, 14:17
Seriously.

We've had two papers delivered today (the evening post and a local free paper). Both were posted by young girls (one is 9, I know because she's a friend of my youngest). The other looked about 7 or 8 ...... :erm:

Maggy
13-05-2006, 14:25
Seriously.

We've had two papers delivered today (the evening post and a local free paper). Both were posted by young girls (one is 9, I know because she's a friend of my youngest). The other looked about 7 or 8 ...... :erm:

That is illegal.They shouldn't be doing it unless they are 13.:mad:

sir_drinks_alot
13-05-2006, 15:29
That is illegal.They shouldn't be doing it unless they are 13.:mad:

Indeed who knows what sort of People are out here even at 13 it's not safe hell my mate won't let her 15 year old daughter do it.

Millay
13-05-2006, 15:53
I totally agree with you Paul that age is just wrong. We have very young kids round here doing it as well.

I think there is nothing wrong with 13 + doing jobs like paperounds..

Halcyon
13-05-2006, 20:10
It is frightening indeed !!!
They are way to young to be out on the streets and going up to each house.
It's too risky these days and is actually illegal as they are indeed under age.
I wish the parent's did something.

Kliro
13-05-2006, 20:56
They're getting older round here.

I'm sure the last guy was about 80

greencreeper
14-05-2006, 11:27
I hope they weren't carrying the papers :erm: Not good on a developing skeleton.

nffc
14-05-2006, 14:10
They're getting older round here.

I'm sure the last guy was about 80
Well... all the kids have grown out of Manchester now :D

All our paper kids this side of Nottm look normal age though, ie 12-15.

Ramrod
14-05-2006, 20:46
Seriously.

We've had two papers delivered today (the evening post and a local free paper). Both were posted by young girls (one is 9, I know because she's a friend of my youngest). The other looked about 7 or 8 ...... :erm:We have youngsters delivering papers round here but they always have an adult with them...

Paul
14-05-2006, 20:49
They may well have, we are in a sort of cul-de-sac so the adult may have waited at the bottom where I cannot see.

Tuftus
14-05-2006, 21:09
When I used to do Paper Rounds (when I was younger that is) I used to have to have a work permit.

Maybe that is something that you could interrogate them about?

Paul
14-05-2006, 22:08
Maybe that is something that you could interrogate them about?You're kidding - I can just imagine the headlines if I interrogated a young girl on my front doorstep. :disturbd:

jrhnewark
15-05-2006, 15:40
Indeed who knows what sort of People are out here even at 13 it's not safe hell my mate won't let her 15 year old daughter do it.Poor girl. Protective daddy, eh? :erm:

But, no, 9-year-olds shouldn't be doing it. 13 seems like a good age between when you go from child to teenager and should be allowed to do a job like that.

(I think one or two might be younger than that around here, delivering the free paper, but they are with (I assume) a parent. Which is fine, I suppose.)

Maggy
15-05-2006, 19:10
Maybe that is something that you could interrogate them about?You're kidding - I can just imagine the headlines if I interrogated a young girl on my front doorstep. :disturbd:

Well you should do something Paul.How will you feel if something happens to them and you didn't speak up?

Trouble is I can't remember who it is one should call about illegal employment of children.I'll ask in school this week and let you know.:erm:

Chimaera
15-05-2006, 19:17
Trouble is I can't remember who it is one should call about illegal employment of children.I'll ask in school this week and let you know.:erm:

According to our council website, it's the Education Department.

Q:At What age am I allowed to work Part-Time?
A:To be able to work part-time you have to be 13 years old.

Q:When can I Work?
A: For ages 13 and 14
School days - Not more than 2 hours a day outside school hours
Saturdays - 4 hours
Sundays - 2 hours
School holidays - 5 hours a day, maximum 25 hours a week
7pm finish

For ages 15 and 16
Saturdays - 8 hours
Sundays - 2 hours
School holidays - 8 hours a day, maximum 35 hours a week
7pm finish

http://www.havering.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=889

Maggy
15-05-2006, 19:25
According to our council website, it's the Education Department.

Q:At What age am I allowed to work Part-Time?
A:To be able to work part-time you have to be 13 years old.

Q:When can I Work?
A: For ages 13 and 14
Saturdays - 4 hours
Sundays - 2 hours
School holidays - 5 hours a day, maximum 25 hours a week
7pm finish

For ages 15 and 16
Saturdays - 8 hours
Sundays - 2 hours
School holidays - 8 hours a day, maximum 35 hours a week
7pm finish
http://www.havering.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=889

I meant the actual department within the Education department which I note from that link is the Education Welfare Service.Mind they are under funded and stretched to deal with every case.

Chimaera
15-05-2006, 20:34
Ah - my daughter works for them - that's how I knew! Mind you, I agree - she's always busy and has a huge case load :(