PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem Nightmare.

Humms
12-05-2006, 08:54
Hi there,

I am in Reading and for the past week have been going through what only can be classed as a bit of a nightmare with my cable modem and wondered if there was anything anyone could suggest. This normally wouldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t fuss me but at the moment my wife is recovering from Breast cancer and the internet at home is the only way I can look after her and continue to work, with it being broken I have to get either someone in to help or take holiday or worse still go into the office :(

Last week after the upgrade/maintenance my old teryon cable modem started to play up would loose the cable signal (Or thatââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s what the light seemed to suggest) and then rehome causing an outage of a couple of minutes every few hours. This got worse over the next couple of days up to the point where I just rebooted it rather than wait till the thing decided to rehome, So I decided to call Broadband support on Monday. They said they couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see anything wrong with the modem but phone again if it happened again. So obviously it staid nice and stable till the Tuesday and then started playing up. Phone up the support people again while it was down without rebooting and they said they would dispatch an engineer that afternoon. Wow I thought thatââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s good. So they arrived said the signal strength was too high and put a 10Db Attenuator (Not sure if thatââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s the right term) in between the cable modem and the wall box. This made things loads worse with the cable modem syncing up for only about 5 mins and being down for the rest of the time.

So I phoned again and got another engineer to come out yesterday. He was far more thorough and thought that it may well be the old cable modem so he swapped it out but he couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t get it to sync up and here is where the problem is.

He said someone from network engineering would have to come out and look at it and would probably be here later this afternoon. So I wait till 8pm and phone the call centre they said that I should wait in all day today (Friday) and if they didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t come by 5pm today give them another ring as they had no way of being able to talk to network engineering.

This is pretty mad and I just wonder if there was a way for me to be able to see when the engineer is coming.

Just for the record I have a new ntl:250 modem and I managed to get these stats out of it last night.

DocsDiag v030720 Copyright 2001-3 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk

AMBIT Euro DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem <<HW_REV: 1.19; VENDOR: AMBIT; BOOTR: 2.1.6d;
SW_REV: 2.94.1010; MODEL: E08C007>>

System up time = 0 days 00h 42m 59.00s
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = 1.5 dBmV
Upstream channel frequency = 28800000 Hz
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 37.9 dB
Cable modem status = Upstream parameters acquired
Upstream transmit signal power = 39.0 dBmV

Chris W
12-05-2006, 09:07
the stats from your modem look fine, so nothing that should be causing problems there.

If you want to PM me your name, account number, and a contact phone number i'll pass these to our contact to see if we can get any more information for you. can't guarantee anything, but it's worth a try :)

Humms
12-05-2006, 10:36
Well looks like its all been sorted a very nice technician replaced the return path amplifier as it looked shot so looks like its all sorted (Cross Fingers, touch wood ;))