PDA

View Full Version : Botched Installation

stickman
11-05-2006, 18:36
I have ntl's two meg broadband (soon to be 4) . . . and am considering going up to the 10meg if I would actually be able to get that speed which I would be paying for . . . my brother had the 10meg but was only getting four or five so in the end he went back down to 2 to save wasting money on a service that he wasn't getting. . .

When I had broadband installed. . the engineer made a real mess of the cabling in the box on the front of the house. . . at first he didn't leave enough
cable to make the connection, making it a very fiddly job, then he seemed to be getting electrocuted as he was trying to link the cables up. . . he was cursing and swearing. . . to this day the cables are hanging out in all weather because he couldn't get the lid back on. . .

So, my question is this: would this mean that the quality of my connection might not be good enough to allow me to get the full 10 meg that I would be paying for if I upgraded?

Also, My brother can access his older ntl modem config by going to 192.168.100.1 and using username "admin" and password "admin" which gives the following details:

Downstream Recieve Power Level: -3.03 dBmv :-)
Downstream SNR: 32.14 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level: 56.25 dBmv.

I would like to be able to see these figures for my connection, but mine is a newer modem installed just a year ago. . . and these usernames and password don't work for mine. . . does anyone know what they might be so that I can tell how good my connection is. . . and what values I should expect to see for these statistics.

Many Thanks from NW Leicester.

Chris W
11-05-2006, 19:34
:welcome:

to get to the modem confir page, the username and password are both root

admin works on some of the older modems, but not all.

there is a sticky in the broadband forum with the signal strength/ power levels and an explanation.