PDA

View Full Version : OMFG - Tech Support...

LooeyUK
29-11-2003, 23:38
My grandad was having problems with his broadband connection. So this is what he told me.

He phoned Tech Support after 12mins waiting.

Gets through, explains that when ever he goes on the internet he gets Page Cannot Be Found. Blah Blah Blah.

After a few suggestion from the guy on tech support he ask's my grandad if he has a reload/windows installation disc. MY grandad replied with a yes and the guy on tech support says that "we dont reconmend it but i think you will have to do a format and a re-install of your operating system". My grandad being who is is says "stuff that" lol and says good bye. end of.

He calls me up, explains and tells me that, thats when i thought oh, it must be a serious problem if he told him to reinstall windows. Anyway, i go up there to sort out the re-installation but as im in the car, i ask my grandad if you restarted the stb. he said no, and the bloke on the phone didnt even tell him to do that.

Rebooted and everything worked fine.

Surely re=bootting the stb is the first thing they reconmend?

But besides the point, reinstallation of windows? wtf?

Mark W
29-11-2003, 23:41
flippin 'eck!! :erm: :erm:

rule 1 - check the IP

rule 2 - reboot pc/stb

man thats bad teching :(

Defiant
29-11-2003, 23:43
Training issue. It sounds like the guy on the other end doesn't know anything about computers

Mark W
29-11-2003, 23:55
i would make a comment about the training taking place for the new people joing tech support at the mo, but you all know what happened to the last ntl person to speak out like that :rolleyes:

MetaWraith
30-11-2003, 00:02
only 12 mins of waiting ??
most of us have to wait 2 or 3 times that.

If the waiting times are coming down thats good. Now if only quality of the information provided could improve as well.

Florence
30-11-2003, 00:04
i would make a comment about the training taking place for the new people joing tech support at the mo, but you all know what happened to the last ntl person to speak out like that :rolleyes:

Mark don't risk your job we can read between the lines and see its either not there or the people they are trying ot train havnet got enough knowledge to learn it..

homealone
30-11-2003, 00:28

training;) - our place takes people from an agency & expects them to 'suddenly' fit in - and immediately be an expert on everything - but pays them bugga-awl?

Mal
30-11-2003, 00:35
training;) - our place takes people from an agency & expects them to 'suddenly' fit in - and immediately be an expert on everything - but pays them bugga-awl?
That's probably every company's policy that :)

vaiolator
30-11-2003, 16:15
Just as an aside to this, I was told recently by Tech Supp that my problems were OS based (Windows ME and XP) and the fact I was using Zone Alarm. Those two combined were the root of my problem and for that matter, the majority of calls they receive. Funny how for three years I had "struggled" along with these geeky set ups. I just laughed and said goodbye. :banghead:

th'engineer
30-11-2003, 16:59
That's probably every company's policy that :)
Not in the one i work in its about orientation and you are partnered with someone of vast experience. That person then has to sign off your capability its called governance

ntltech32
02-12-2003, 10:27
only 12 mins of waiting ??
most of us have to wait 2 or 3 times that.

If the waiting times are coming down thats good. Now if only quality of the information provided could improve as well.

hehe us techs still have to wait on hold you know too!! even though we have direct numbers for cm tech support , sabs and pad etc etc..

Chris
02-12-2003, 10:31
Don't risk your neck Mark - we get the idea, NTL's actions speak louder than their words. They have a big problem and they know it; they just don't like the thought of their customers knowing is as well.

th'engineer
02-12-2003, 10:34
I had an interesting call with TS on monday they could not help because the systems are down.

grum1978
02-12-2003, 10:52
Probably because of this... taken from ntlworld.com
As part of our commitment to provide you with an excellent standard of service, from Sunday 30th November to Tuesday 2nd December weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re making some improvements to our systems. During this time you will be unable to make changes to your Internet service, however you will still be able to send and receive emails, surf the web and upload to your webspace. Our Internet support centres will have no access to their systems during this period, normal service will be restored on the morning of 3rd December. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

bopdude
02-12-2003, 10:59
I had an interesting call with TS on monday they could not help because the systems are down.

And there was I thinking they got all their idea's off the back of a fag packet..lol

Only kidding :Peace:

th' engineer you beat me to the exact same avatar but I forgive you :)

th'engineer
02-12-2003, 11:15
And there was I thinking they got all their idea's off the back of a fag packet..lol

Only kidding :Peace: On the telephone it said limited support did not realise how limited:rolleyes:

th' engineer you beat me to the exact same avatar but I forgive you :)
Thank you its a nice little avatar

imback
02-12-2003, 13:37
We normaly get slated for asking people to re boot on here, so perhapse some techs took the advice to stop doing it :D

Mark W
02-12-2003, 14:30
well, could i just say, those of you that are connecting via STB will be able to get tech support as normal...... the databases that are being upgraded dont really effect our support - only if you want accounts migrated or email and passwords confirmed

oh, and by the way - we are sitting here with no calls in the q....so nows the time to call ;)

imback
02-12-2003, 14:31
It's because they are all coming through to me on Langley then :D

Florence
02-12-2003, 15:19
It's because they are all coming through to me on Langley then :D
Maybe they like you then or you could send some back either way just help the customer be happy..

th'engineer
02-12-2003, 15:28
well, could i just say, those of you that are connecting via STB will be able to get tech support as normal...... the databases that are being upgraded dont really effect our support - only if you want accounts migrated or email and passwords confirmed

oh, and by the way - we are sitting here with no calls in the q....so nows the time to call ;)phoned monday they could not help im on STB

Thats what i was told

Mark W
02-12-2003, 15:50
phoned monday they could not help im on STB

Thats what i was told

whats up...anything i could help with?

imback
02-12-2003, 15:50
Maybe they like you then or you could send some back either way just help the customer be happy..

It was just a joke :shrug:

Tiptoes
02-12-2003, 16:09
I must admit only having had to ring th NTHELLPLine once in 4/5 years I must have been lucky.

The guy I got was knowedgable and helped fix the problem...

Twas a specifc driver issue sourrounding the PMCIA slot in this particualr laptop.

Other than that one occasion I have spoken to a bunch of goosberrys. (STB problems not associated iwt t'internet)

I once got £60 claiming for backache because the CSA kept telling us to uplug and plug in the STB. I really did have backache as the plug was behind the TV cabinet a pain in the Arse... must have been 5 times she told us to unplug on/off/on/off I was well dizzy by the time I had finished so I sat down had a cuppa then phoned back and demanded they take the lot back and send me a claim form.

£60 free calls for next two months.....

Dooby
02-12-2003, 16:10
I dont work for ntl , never have, never want to... but i did do some 'temp'ing a while back, and one of the jobs i had was doing telephone interviews for people applying to work for ntl as cs...
the number of really crap ones that got through because they wanted a certain number was unbelievable, I wouldnt have put forward 90% of them, but it was a kind of 'take the best n'

given the rates they were offering, its hardly surprising...
you pay peanuts you get...well people who like peanuts...