PDA

View Full Version : Bank Holidays

Salu
11-05-2006, 09:51
What does everyone feel about these?

The name is out of date for a start. It's now accepted that people who work in retail work them as do health workers and other essential services jobs etc.

Is there a point to everyone having the same day off? Doesn't it just lead to traffic mayhem? Or maybe it’s a good thing as it encourages family/friend times and forces some to have a mini break.

Wouldn't it be better to just add the days onto people's annual leave and let them make their own decisions? I think we should leave Christmas alone and maybe Easter as they bother have a point and a communal celebration (whether you believe or not in the meaning) but Spring Bank, August and May.......hmmm

What about making St George’s day a BH? Do we have enough pride in our nation to bother or would it become “get drunk and be Yobbish Day”?

If we are to have them shouldn't we make shops close and let everyone have a day off? What do you think?

They’ve always been normal working days for me so I don’t feel that protective of them….do you?

Russ
11-05-2006, 09:54
What about making St GeorgeÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s day a BH?

I'm up for that if the rest of us get our national days as a BH.

Halcyon
11-05-2006, 09:55
I quite like them as everyone I know has the same day off so we all get together and can go out. It makes planning a weekend away easier as well as we know we will both be off from work that day.

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

What about making St GeorgeÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s day a BH? Do we have enough pride in our nation to bother or would it become †œget drunk and be Yobbish Dayââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚?

The more holidays in a year the better :tu:

Druchii
11-05-2006, 09:58
St. Georges day is a must i think, it is our national day after all...

I like bank holidays, but i have a feeling as soon as i start work, preferably as a network tech (small networks only please...) i won't be so fond of them really...

orangebird
11-05-2006, 10:02
I love them - with the extra day on each side of the weekend, it means I get to go and see relatives and friends that are too far away for just an overnight stay. :tu:

handyman
11-05-2006, 10:04
My contract states explicitly that I will never be asked to work weekends or bank holidays :)

I like them but they mess my head up going to work and thinking its Monday when its Tuesday an all.

basa
11-05-2006, 10:18
I agree with Xmas, Easter being statutory hols and add in St George's Day as another, then scrap all the others and add them to peoples annual entitlement.

Would stop the mad dash to holiday areas on those days. :cool:

Salu
11-05-2006, 10:18
I love them - with the extra day on each side of the weekend, it means I get to go and see relatives and friends that are too far away for just an overnight stay. :tu:

But you could all elect to book an annual leave day and do the same but with less traffic on the road...

Saaf_laandon_mo
11-05-2006, 10:19
I love bank holidays, but why do we have to have so many in between April and May! It would make sense to change the one at the end of May to say mid June,
As for St Georges day, I didnt even realise what day it was on till I went into a pub and saw sign :S. I personally think that should be a BH, and on that day, and leading upto it perhaps, there should be more happening in London (as the capital of England) to promote it.

Salu
11-05-2006, 10:20
What is everyone's motivation for St Georges day? Another days off, patriotic pride or jealousy of the other countires who have one?

Be honest....

Damien
11-05-2006, 10:25
I like bank holidays. We used to go away for the weekend or for a day to brigton so it has positive memorys for me :) Same with a lot of people i guess.

Whens the next one?

orangebird
11-05-2006, 10:28
But you could all elect to book an annual leave day and do the same but with less traffic on the road...

But that means that all the friends and family I visit would have to do the same thing too, and that's not always possible.

Saaf_laandon_mo
11-05-2006, 10:33
What is everyone's motivation for St Georges day? Another days off, patriotic pride or jealousy of the other countires who have one?

Be honest....

ok... i'm not english and i dont even know the significance of St george's day but the way I look at it is that country's should be able to celebrate their national day. I spend a lot of time in Lisbon and they have a national holiday on their national day. There is a real good feeling in Lisbon on that day, more so than say May 1st which is another bank holiday.

In regard to celebrating St George's day specifically, I feel that there will be a real positive vibe on that day, which will definately outweigh the negativity and resentment we currently get from a large number of people due to the fact that its not celebrated.

Salu
11-05-2006, 10:37
But that means that all the friends and family I visit would have to do the same thing too, and that's not always possible.

It would be different and not as easy but quite possible with organisation. I'm not singling you out OB but just trying to get everyone into a differnet mindset.

bopdude
11-05-2006, 10:54
Over rated, over exploited, over priced, people traps, religeous days, xmas, easter etc etc,perhaps :shrug: the rest are just used now for an excuse for a :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: p!55 up, last bank holiday I think I had 3 pints during the day, very quiet, IMO they're nothing speacial.

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-05-2006, 11:54
The name is out of date for a start.

:confused: The banks are closed?

Salu
11-05-2006, 12:34
:confused: The banks are closed?

No, actually they move the entire building to Costa de la Sol for a day and give the coins some sun.

Nidge
11-05-2006, 13:53
I'd get rid of all the Christmas holidays and all the other bank holidays then have an extra week say the begining of September when the weather is still ok, Christmas is far to long, why not just have 2 days off over Christmas like Christmas day and Boxing day then have New Years day off, it's all we need at Christmas and New Year. All the other bank holidays scrap them. I can imagine it now a week off when all the kids are at school...now that would be bliss.

Nugget
11-05-2006, 13:55
I'd get rid of all the Christmas holidays and all the other bank holidays then have an extra week say the begining of September when the weather is still ok, Christmas is far to long, why not just have 2 days off over Christmas like Christmas day and Boxing day then have New Years day off, it's all we need at Christmas and New Year. All the other bank holidays scrap them. I can imagine it now a week off when all the kids are at school...now that would be bliss.

Some of us do only have those days off over Christmas ;)

bopdude
11-05-2006, 14:10
Some of us do only have those days off over Christmas ;)

Money grabbing git ;)

Gareth
11-05-2006, 14:11
Don't scrap 'em... some employers are ruthless enough as it is, so it would be all they need to reduce the normal holiday entitlement of employees, and I can imagine some people would end up with the same number of holiday entitlement they currently get, but without the additional public holidays.

Anyway, if we scrapped 'em, when would they show all the crap films on telly? :shrug:

Nugget
11-05-2006, 14:19
Money grabbing git ;)

Oi! Who're you calling 'money-grabbing'?

:disturbd:

Druchii
11-05-2006, 15:22
No, actually they move the entire building to Costa de la Sol for a day and give the coins some sun. I like it Salu... I like it...

Nugget
11-05-2006, 15:31
No, actually they move the entire building to Costa de la Sol for a day and give the coins some sun.

Costa de la Sol - didn't they do 'Me, Myself and I'?

Now, if it's the Costa del Sol you're talking about...

:disturbd:

Salu
11-05-2006, 15:40
Can you tell I've never been?

Nugget
11-05-2006, 15:43
Can you tell I've never been?

Well, I have heard that the sea level in Spain is .... wait for it ... 3 feet high and rising' :D

MadGamer
11-05-2006, 15:49
I like bank holidays. We used to go away for the weekend or for a day to brigton so it has positive memorys for me :) Same with a lot of people i guess.

Whens the next one? Whitsun at the end of this month. :)

Maggy
11-05-2006, 16:35
St. Georges day is a must i think, it is our national day after all...

I like bank holidays, but i have a feeling as soon as i start work, preferably as a network tech (small networks only please...) i won't be so fond of them really...

Why? it's only going to add to the confusion that is Easter which is a movable Bank holiday.This would also mean thaat we get 4 lots of bank holidays within a very short time.It's so stupid having May Day,Easter and Whitsun Bank holiday all around the same damned time which interferes with the public examination timetable, when after August Bank holiday there isn't another until Boxing Day.I think a better spread of BH's is called for rather than abolish them or put them in places that they become rather disruptive of term time.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a bank holiday before Crimbo so you could have a lie in on a cold November morning?;)

Nugget
11-05-2006, 16:39
Wouldn't it be nice to have a bank holiday before Crimbo so you could have a lie in on a cold November morning?;)

Well, it would be, but it'd be a right bugger if they put it in October :D :p:

Maggy
11-05-2006, 16:42
Well, it would be, but it'd be a right bugger if they put it in October :D :p:

Why? They could have it on my birthday..:D

Nugget
11-05-2006, 16:43
Why? They could have it on my birthday..:D

Hmmm, National Coggy Day - that's got a nice ring to it. I'll celebrate that :)

Stuart
11-05-2006, 19:32
I'll drink to that.. Hic! :drunk: