PDA

View Full Version : College Coursework.

Druchii
11-05-2006, 03:03
Is now officially out of the way :)

Wahey, party time :D :D :D

Actually, i need sleep :( 9hours solid typing today... I want to cry.

greencreeper
11-05-2006, 07:19
Ah - I remember the days :D

Nugget
11-05-2006, 08:09
It's good to see that it's out of the way - just out of curiosity, when do you finish your coursework?

;) :p:

Druchii
11-05-2006, 09:49
It's good to see that it's out of the way - just out of curiosity, when do you finish your coursework? ;) :p: Argh, it was late ;)

Corusework = Coursework.

And i'm a little happier after 5 hours sleep... Need some mor ei think, but i have college in an hour or so...

Nugget
11-05-2006, 09:50
Argh, it was late ;)

Corusework = Coursework.

And i'm a little happier after 5 hours sleep... Need some mor ei think, but i have college in an hour or so...

Surely, if you've finished you're coursework, there's no need to go to college anymore ;)

Druchii
11-05-2006, 09:55
Surely, if you've finished you're coursework, there's no need to go to college anymore ;) Ah, but there's money to be earnt just by showing up, £30 a week to be precise, and i would love to keep that... Besides, now it's more like a social outing, and the people are a great laugh. We have one test on the 26th then we find out if we've passed this year or not... Besides, i'd be on the forums all day otherwise (yet again... ;))

Halcyon
11-05-2006, 09:58
Ahhhh the good old memories of course work.
What used to annoy me the most was knowing that you'd be working at the PC typing up all day to then go to sleep and have to wake up and continue all over again the following day.
You must be feeling so much better now it's over.
Have a good relaxing weekend and some nice drinks to celebrate.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Ah, but there's money to be earnt just by showing up, £30 a week to be precise

Wow !!! You'l be a millionaire before you leave.
We never had money to come to school. Lucky You !!!

Druchii
11-05-2006, 10:00
Ahhhh the good old memories of course work. What used to annoy me the most was knowing that you'd be working at the PC typing up all day to then go to sleep and have to wake up and continue all over again the following day. You must be feeling so much better now it's over. Have a good relaxing weekend and some nice drinks to celebrate. ---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ---------- Wow !!! You'l be a millionaire before you leave. We never had money to come to school. Lucky You !!! Haha, it's because it is a full time course, they reckon we can't get jobs while we're on the course.. (Although some of us have 2 jobs and manage suitably)

Feeling lovely, going out saturday and sunday, and then the weekend after... etc. Can't drink yet, but hey, who cares, Coke's better than nothign right ? ;)

Saaf_laandon_mo
11-05-2006, 10:14
Ah, but there's money to be earnt just by showing up, £30 a week to be precise, and i would love to keep that... Besides, now it's more like a social outing, and the people are a great laugh. We have one test on the 26th then we find out if we've passed this year or not... Besides, i'd be on the forums all day otherwise (yet again... ;))

God I used to love college, and the long summer holidays that followed.....

Anyway just a quick one, I find it suprising at how much we moan about benefit scroungers but to date I have heard no one moan about having to pay kids to attend school (surely its a reasonable dent in our country's finances).

Now that you've completed your coursework maybe you could engage in an extra curriculum discussion and tell me why do some of my taxes have to be used as an incentive for you to go to college?

homealone
11-05-2006, 10:33
<snip> Now that you've completed your coursework maybe you could engage in an extra curriculum discussion and tell me why do some of my taxes have to be used as an incentive for you to go to college?

simple - it is an incentive for students to stay on in 6th form/college so they want to go on to university - where they get to plunge themselves into thousands of pounds worth of debt doing courses in surfing & beach management. The long term benefit of this to the country should be obvious & I'm surprised anyone would question it ;)

Saaf_laandon_mo
11-05-2006, 10:37
simple - it is an incentive for students to stay on in 6th form/college so they want to go on to university - where they get to plunge themselves into thousands of pounds worth of debt doing courses in surfing & beach management. The long term benefit of this to the country should be obvious & I'm surprised anyone would question it ;)

Oh, you forgot the degree in Ghostbusting from Coventry uni (I think it is)

Nugget
11-05-2006, 10:39

Well, where else are the kids going to learn about all the different kinds of spirits...;)

Damien
11-05-2006, 10:44

Let the good times roll :D

homealone
11-05-2006, 11:00

exactly - you see, in the 'bad old days' they would have got an apprenticeship & been paid to learn a trade, while doing 'day release' at college. This was obviously a really naff idea, which was providing the country with a steady stream of engineers, electricians, plumbers, builders, etc - and no-one to do the really useful stuff like media studies & Ghostbusting.

Things are so much better now - and we get nice people coming over from Europe to build everything for us. :erm:

Druchii
11-05-2006, 14:17
Now that you've completed your coursework maybe you could engage in an extra curriculum discussion and tell me why do some of my taxes have to be used as an incentive for you to go to college?

Oh, i never said that's the reason why i went in the first place, EMA hasn't been around that long as far as i know, i was planning on going ever since i was in Year 6. That was when i was about 12, 13?
And i don't see why we shouldn't be getting paid, afterall, we're not out stealing your jobs now are we? And yet we are still benefitting the communities around us with new skills. In my case it is computing, looking to go to UNI if it's possible for programming... etc.

Now, i ask you, why should we pay you for days you are sick and not benefitting anyone else? ;) We don't get paid if we're ill for even one day...

Nugget
11-05-2006, 14:21
Now, i ask you, why should we pay you for days you are sick and not benefitting anyone else? ;) We don't get paid if we're ill for even one day...

Mainly because us workers pay tax and National Insurance ;) :p:

Gareth
11-05-2006, 14:32
touchÃÃâ€*’©, Nug :)

Bloody students :rolleyes:

Chris
11-05-2006, 15:05

My heart bleeds ... welcome to office life! :erm: :D

Stuart
11-05-2006, 15:10

My heart bleeds ... welcome to office life! :erm: :D

Nahh, Office life is when you finish typing for 9 hours, get your stuff together to go home, and the boss walks up and says "Oh, I need that thing by 9am". Thus, you have to stay for another 3 or 4 hours to complete another report..

Chris
11-05-2006, 15:19
Nahh, Office life is when you finish typing for 9 hours, get your stuff together to go home, and the boss walks up and says "Oh, I need that thing by 9am". Thus, you have to stay for another 3 or 4 hours to complete another report..
Good point.

Druchii, is this why your daily post count has plummeted to a mere 10 these last 24 hours? :p:

Druchii
11-05-2006, 15:21
Good point. Druchii, is this why your daily post count has plummeted to a mere 10 these last 24 hours? :p: Indeed it is... But, we have less work to do at college now, and we only have to turn up tomorrow to verify the work is ours... It's basically a mess about now.

Nice btw Nug, forgot about that ;)
My point was just that the £30 is an added bonus to me, not the incentive to go into furthur education :p

I still need sleep, i don't seem to be able to survive on 5hours any more :(

Nugget
11-05-2006, 15:27
Indeed it is... But, we have less work to do at college now, and we only have to turn up tomorrow to verify the work is ours... It's basically a mess about now.

Nice btw Nug, forgot about that ;)
My point was just that the £30 is an added bonus to me, not the incentive to go into furthur education :p

I still need sleep, i don't seem to be able to survive on 5hours any more :(

I think the question people are asking is more to do with why is there a need to pay kids / young people to go to college, when there wasn't 5 years ago - when I went to sixth form 12 years ago, I did it because I wanted to get A-levels (oops, messed them up :D ) and go to university (which I did manage). The only financial advantage I had over friends who'd started work was that, because I had no fixed income, Mum & Dad Nug didn't charge me lodge (like they did for my two brothers)...

Oh, and if you want to survive on 5 hours sleep, just get a job - between work, the pub, Baby Nug and the XBox, I'm doing quite nicely on 25 minutes a night at the mo :disturbd:

Druchii
11-05-2006, 15:33
I think the question people are asking is more to do with why is there a need to pay kids / young people to go to college, when there wasn't 5 years ago - when I went to sixth form 12 years ago, I did it because I wanted to get A-levels (oops, messed them up :D ) and go to university (which I did manage). The only financial advantage I had over friends who'd started work was that, because I had no fixed income, Mum & Dad Nug didn't charge me lodge (like they did for my two brothers)... Oh, and if you want to survive on 5 hours sleep, just get a job - between work, the pub, Baby Nug and the XBox, I'm doing quite nicely on 25 minutes a night at the mo :disturbd: Argh, i think you can keep baby Nug, i just got rid of my Xbox... And got a PS2... I feel like a traitor now, but at least i have a new set of games to play with til i get bored.

I dunno why there is a need to pay us to go to college, i agree however that if you get paid to do something like hairdressing then what is the point? I honestly thought hairdressing was a hobby, til i saw it on the boards advertised for my new college site...

Besides the ones who are only here for the money have already been weeded out, through various amounts of workloads, stress and general shouting i may add ;)
Out of 28, 6 have left this year alone, and i doubt a few will even make it to the next year because of their grades, even though these people really want to learn.

Saying that, some work i have A's in, and one i have a D in, i'm very dissapointed with myself for that poor performance, the worst grade i've ever received, i even did better in french... And that's saying something.

Chris
11-05-2006, 15:38
I think the question people are asking is more to do with why is there a need to pay kids / young people to go to college, when there wasn't 5 years ago - when I went to sixth form 12 years ago, I did it because I wanted to get A-levels (oops, messed them up :D ) and go to university (which I did manage). The only financial advantage I had over friends who'd started work was that, because I had no fixed income, Mum & Dad Nug didn't charge me lodge (like they did for my two brothers)...

Oh, and if you want to survive on 5 hours sleep, just get a job - between work, the pub, Baby Nug and the XBox, I'm doing quite nicely on 25 minutes a night at the mo :disturbd:

The people who would have done A-levels regardless of any payment 12 years ago would still do it regardless of payment today. What's changed is there is now a politically-motivated target to get 50% of young people through university. To get to Uni, you have to do A levels, so the money is offered as a bribe to the chavs and layabouts who would otherwise be out of education at the earliest opportunity and hanging around the shopping centre, dole scrounging and causing trouble.

Maggy
11-05-2006, 16:41
Ah, but there's money to be earnt just by showing up, £30 a week to be precise, and i would love to keep that... Besides, now it's more like a social outing, and the people are a great laugh. We have one test on the 26th then we find out if we've passed this year or not... Besides, i'd be on the forums all day otherwise (yet again... ;))
God I used to love college, and the long summer holidays that followed.....

Anyway just a quick one, I find it suprising at how much we moan about benefit scroungers but to date I have heard no one moan about having to pay kids to attend school (surely its a reasonable dent in our country's finances).

It's not available to all.Only those whose parents who are on a low income.My son didn't get it last year and not this year either though I've had a considerable drop in my income after the introduction of learning cover teachers and I've earned half the income I got last year.Ah well too late now..He has some exams later this month and then he's finished.

Nugget
11-05-2006, 16:42
It's not available to all.Only those whose parents who are on a low income.My son didn't get it last year and not this year either though I've had a considerable drop in my income after the introduction of learning cover teachers and I've earned half the income I got last year.Ah well too late now..He has some exams later this month and then he's finished.

At least he will be if he doesn't pass 'em, eh Coggy ;)

Druchii
11-05-2006, 16:43
It's not available to all.Only those whose parents who are on a low income.My son didn't get it last year and not this year either though I've had a considerable drop in my income after the introduction of learning cover teachers and I've earned half the income I got last year.Ah well too late now..He has some exams later this month and then he's finished. Forgot to point that out actually, My mum really can't work due to severe depression. Although she still wants to work.

She wants to be working again by next year, she misses the work environment, made her feel a little more important.

Nugget
11-05-2006, 16:44
Forgot to point that out actually, My mum really can't work due to severe depression. Although she still wants to work.

She wants to be working again by next year, she misses the work environment, made her feel a little more important.

Well, you'd better tell her not to get a job where I am in Scunny - no-one here feels important :disturbd:

Maggy
11-05-2006, 16:45
At least he will be if he doesn't pass 'em, eh Coggy ;)

If he hasn't passed he gets one more year and then that really will be it.I can't get Child Benefit after he's 19 no matter how many times he fails.

Druchii
11-05-2006, 17:15
Well, you'd better tell her not to get a job where I am in Scunny - no-one here feels important :disturbd: Haha, she'd probably go a little more local than Scunny...

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

I just noticed the thread title was corrected, who did that? lol

Macca371
11-05-2006, 17:22
Last lessons in French and Maths today. I feel a mixture of happiness (yay! it's over!), sadness (feel like I'm gonna miss the place) and fear (oh crap... gap year.. university... agghh!)

Final assembly tomorrow. And then straight to the pub with friends afterwards ;) :beer: :D

Druchii
11-05-2006, 17:32
Last lessons in French and Maths today. I feel a mixture of happiness (yay! it's over!), sadness (feel like I'm gonna miss the place) and fear (oh crap... gap year.. university... agghh!) Final assembly tomorrow. And then straight to the pub with friends afterwards ;) :beer: :D Yeah, that's how it should be, maybe you'll miss it, maybe not... I htink you will, uintil you're in Uni and have loads of mates again ;)

Halcyon
11-05-2006, 17:43
In a way it's such a big chapter of your life it will be like a shock as it was such a regular thing, but then again, the next chapter of your life begins and that is exciting too.

Kliro
11-05-2006, 18:43
I've got anouther week left yet :(

Got my tails fitted for the ball today though :)

Was nice having my last double biology lesson today though, even if I don't really know what I'm doing.

Druchii
11-05-2006, 18:47
I've got anouther week left yet :( Got my tails fitted for the ball today though :) Was nice having my last double biology lesson today though, even if I don't really know what I'm doing. We have 2 weeks to go in and get £60 for,... Not even doing any work... Maybe revising a little, but there's only so much we can do...

Kliro
11-05-2006, 19:46
Are you doing AS or A2?

Druchii
11-05-2006, 20:10
Are you doing AS or A2? GCE Applied ICT... It's a double A level... Although we were told triple when we signed up.

greencreeper
11-05-2006, 22:23
I went to Uni late - took a more roundabout route. I did a part-time GNVQ in IT. It was around this time that I was working several hours a day, churning out assignments. Made it though. The relief is palpable when you hand in that final piece of work and it's all over with. I never had a gap year. I would have either not come back, or come back and not gone to Uni. For some, the break in studying helps - also grow up a bit. But I think I'd have lost momentum. Uni is different - just is. I didn't do Halls - I sort of was too old for the drugs/sex/partying younger crowd, and too old for the 2.4 children mature students camp. When I finished Uni I didn't feel happy at all - just deeply worried about the future. I'd spent pretty much all my life studying and it ended. A way of life. Tis weird.

Ah what it is to be young with life ahead - unplanned and free. Sigh :( :D

Macca371
11-05-2006, 22:46
I went to Uni late - took a more roundabout route. I did a part-time GNVQ in IT. It was around this time that I was working several hours a day, churning out assignments. Made it though. The relief is palpable when you hand in that final piece of work and it's all over with. I never had a gap year. I would have either not come back, or come back and not gone to Uni. For some, the break in studying helps - also grow up a bit. But I think I'd have lost momentum. Uni is different - just is. I didn't do Halls - I sort of was too old for the drugs/sex/partying younger crowd, and too old for the 2.4 children mature students camp. When I finished Uni I didn't feel happy at all - just deeply worried about the future. I'd spent pretty much all my life studying and it ended. A way of life. Tis weird.

Ah what it is to be young with life ahead - unplanned and free. Sigh :( :D
Bloody scary, that's what it is! :D :erm: I hate uncertainty.

Strzelecki
11-05-2006, 23:00
If you were sensible you'd save all those £30 payments for when you go to University! How many people got a grant to go to uni? Isn't that being paid to do education also. I wish I got paid, now I have a £13000 debt to pay back thanks to fantastic student loans, I'll be lucky to clear it by the time I'm 30!

Halcyon
12-05-2006, 09:52
Very wise indeed. Uni fees will just continue to get higher and if you can save up now it will make things a lot easier for you.

homealone
12-05-2006, 10:04
Personally i disagree with 'student loans' in their present form.

If higher education is something that has to be paid for, then the service levels need to be improved drastically, in my opinion.

When I did my HND I got a grant, tuition was at least 30 hours a week. When my son did his HND he had to pay a fee - and tuition was 15 hours a week...

The whole system continues to operate under the premise that the college/university is, somehow, still doing students a 'favour' by providing an education, when the students should expect a lot more value for the money they are paying, in my opinion.

Halcyon
12-05-2006, 10:11
That's very true homealone.
My Dad has also said the same thing to me.
I finished my degree last year and for the tuition fees we paid, we got only a couple of hours teaching per week.
Then when you think that the term ends just after Easter and does not re-start until October, you aren't getting much for your money.
The whole system really needs looking at.

Damien
12-05-2006, 10:20
I finished my degree last year and for the tuition fees we paid, we got only a couple of hours teaching per week.
Then when you hink that the term ends just after Easter and doest re-start until October, you arent getting much for your money.

Thats if you get any exams or coursework marked because the lectures have decided to strike :mad:

homealone
12-05-2006, 10:24
Then when you hink that the term ends just after Easter and doest re-start until October, you arent getting much for your money.

looking at this situation

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4984284.stm

- as the students have paid for a service they are not receiving, I believe they should organise a class action against the colleges, for a rebate of their fees & damages for being disadvantaged in the job market.

The higher education sector needs to become much more accountable to its 'customers', I think.

<edit> I see Damien picked up on that, as well. :tu:

Damien
12-05-2006, 10:26
looking at this situation

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4984284.stm

- as the students have paid for a service they are not receiving, I believe they should organise a class action against the colleges, for a rebate of their fees & damages for being disadvantaged in the job market.

The higher education sector needs to become much more accountable to its 'customers', I think.

:tu: