PDA

View Full Version : NTL:120 keeps rebooting

Monserrat
11-05-2006, 00:12
I have been reading on other people's posts about their Ambit 120 modems locking up intermittently.

I think that I have the same problem, except that my Ambit NTL:120 modem will suddenly go through a reboot cycle. It usually reboots 7 times in a row. The distruption lasts for about 10 minutes, which is NOT good when I am playing in a dungeon in World of Warcraft!! Once the disruption is over, the modem is generally OK for a few days, and then the 10-minute chaos will ensue again.

Can someone please advise me on how to access the modem's diag page (IP address) and how to find out which firmware I have? After that, could someone point me to where I can download an updated firmware please?

Thanks.

If the problem continues after this, will it be a line problem or a faulty modem?

XFS03
11-05-2006, 02:35
This is the address of the modem's configuration page http://192.168.100.1 (user name & password = root).

Click on "operation configuration".

The dodgy firmware is 0003.cpr. I had this for a while, until it was rolled back to
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr

You cannot change the firmware version yourself. ntl have to send it down the cable.

Monserrat
11-05-2006, 10:59
Hi XFS03. Thanks for your answer - it has helped me to troubleshoot the problem further.

I knew that the IP address was going to be something like 192.168 although I didn't know the root/root entry bit. I have checked the decibel figures against the sticky post on this forum, and the figures seem to be fine, except for the upstream db one.

Regarding the firmware, I had the ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr file anyway, so I can keep that fixed and rule out a firmware problem.

I raised a support call with NTL this morning. The service was pretty good - a same-day appointment has been arranged for me between noon and 6PM.

I'll let you know what happens and what the solution to the problem was.

If the technician ends up replacing my modem, how will he/she register my new MAC address. Does the tech do it on-site or does he has to go away and report it back to base?

Your_da
11-05-2006, 11:55
Had this problem myself wth the 120 but I had the 003 firmware, the Tech support person I was talking to on the phone didnt have a clue what I was tlkaing about with regards firmware (was a bit useless really) but he did book an engineer for yesterday afternoon, he called checked all the settings, swapped the modem for the ntl250 and everything seems fine so far. Didnt encounter any problems yesterday evening so am hopeing its been fixed.

Monserrat
11-05-2006, 12:04
Thanks, Your_da

When the engineer fitted your NTL:250, did it work straight away or did he has to do something relating to your MAC address? I know that a different MAC address will not register straight away, and that the engineer has to resolve it in one way or another.

homealone
11-05-2006, 12:41
Thanks, Your_da

When the engineer fitted your NTL:250, did it work straight away or did he has to do something relating to your MAC address? I know that a different MAC address will not register straight away, and that the engineer has to resolve it in one way or another.

that is the case with set top boxes, but with a stand alone modem it is registered straight away, as soon as you switch it on after plugging it in.

Monserrat
11-05-2006, 13:07
Hiya again!

13:00 - The engineer came. Sound as a pound.

The rebooting beviour turned out to be a modem fault! The guy took my old 120 away and gave me a brand spanking new 250. It sync'ed up straight away.

I asked about MAC address registration and he said that the new MAC address should register in 10-15 minutes of the engineer leaving, as he will program it on his travel-ready laptop.

Less than 5 minutes later, I was MAC-ready. Ping was fine and so was Mozilla Firefox!

Job done!!

11 out of 10!