PDA

View Full Version : Spotted-the first Barbe' of summer!

Vlad_Dracul
09-05-2006, 20:37
Hi all,just reporting that i have spotted the first Barbecue of summer in my neighbourhood. I was drawn to the window by the faint but familar whiff of a gasoline like substance. Sure enough,I espied a neighbour two doors down,smoke billowing,playing the role of hunter gatherer as he flipped his burgers. And yet only 10 feet or so away I'll wager there was a fully functional gas or electric cooker!. ROTFL.

Now dont get me wrong, I'm no killjoy and if you happen to own a fairly spacious piece of reality and are having friends round on a Summers day/eve then a Barbe and a few drinks may seem ideal BUT,if you live in a terraced row and your house is less generously proportioned (as is mine) then it seems foolish to flip burgers in a small back yard,smoke and fumes billowing,with a perfectly good cooker only feet away!

Its one of those terribly British things. We really dont do Summer very well. Its either Barbe's in pokey houses,lager swilling yobs or St Georges flags a fluttering from cars or from makeshift flagpoles planted outside council houses.

Paul K
09-05-2006, 20:44
Marks been having them for weeks lol Nothing like spending hours in front of a raging fire just so that you can enjoy badly cooked meat products whilst running from the rain ;)

Halcyon
10-05-2006, 12:03
If you are in a small garden I'd agree it is slightly rude to let smoke and fumes blow into your neighbours house, however when it's a one off I'm sure they'd be ok with it. Why not invite them round for some food too.

I normally stick my BBQ in the corner away from the house.
I love BBQ's. Theres just alovely taste that you get from BBQ'ing and adding herbs to the meat.
The thing I can't stand when going to someone elses BBQ is when they fry things in full flame and burn everything which makes the food black and bad for you.

It's great for parties too...I sometimes half cook things ready and then finish grilling on the BBQ and we have loads to eat till the early hours of the morning.

greencreeper
10-05-2006, 12:34
My dad's more Errol Flyn that hunter gather - a deft parry with a spatula as the flames leap two or three feet high. The last time we had a barby, my mum was transferring the burnt, but still with frozen middle, sausages to the oven to finish. How we didn't end up ill, I don't know. Men huh :rolleyes: :D

handyman
10-05-2006, 13:13
We had one on Saturday it was most pleasent. A nice chargrilled steak and some marinated chicken yum