PDA

View Full Version : Aerial?

Adriano
07-05-2006, 13:21
Just moved into a new flat, but i doesn't have an aerial on the roof, so i am having to use one of those indoor ones that sit ontop of the T.V and it isn't very good to say the least., So was wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to have one put on the roof, i also want to get freeview, and do i neeed a specefic aerial for that?

ikthius
07-05-2006, 13:27
check here for freeview and ariel upgrades to go on the roof (http://www.digitalsatellitetv.co.uk/).

ik

Shaun
07-05-2006, 14:39
You can buy a wideband ariel from Argos and fit it yourself for ~£20 or you can get a man in to fit it - probably cost around the £100 mark for a man to do it and that should include the ariel.

When my Grandparents got FreeView they paid a man to do the first ariel but me and my Granddad fitted the second - £80 is a big saving :)

Chris
07-05-2006, 14:45
Moved to Other Digital TV Services Discussion.

squirrel1970
09-05-2006, 09:34
Hmm... For the 7 years I've lived where I have, I believed I had no rooftop tv aeriel and was planning on getting someone out in the summer to get one sorted out...
Last week, for no real reason, I noticed a cable dangling on the wall... so I investigated....
it was a tv aeriel cable...
So, as the years dictate, after spending firstly £1.99 on a cheapo aeriel from Tesco, then a further £20 on a powered indoor loop aeriel thing that couldn't pick up much (not without a fight anyway...) we now have an aeriel.

All I did was take my penknife outside, pared the end, fed it through a hole in the wall (where a previous unattached cable was) connect the pared end to the pared end of a £1.99 tesco aeriel cable... VOILA!!!:D
(the tesco aeriel will make a nice Christmas tree... donchya think?!)

Not only do we have a perfect picture, but where once we couldn't get much of a digital signal, now we can't get an analogue signal, but the digibox works bloomin' PERFECT!!! LOL!!

Full signal strength on all channels...

can't believe it took me 7 years to find it...

/not blonde, but definitely the female of the species...
//wants to play with the loop aeriel still - even tho theres no need to
///fixed poorly webcam after it fell apart (in a fall accident) with electrical tape - it works better now than it ever did...and it's out on loan to some friends

Chris
09-05-2006, 10:59
can't believe it took me 7 years to find it...

/not blonde, but definitely the female of the species...
//wants to play with the loop aeriel still - even tho theres no need to
///fixed poorly webcam after it fell apart (in a fall accident) with electrical tape - it works better now than it ever did...and it's out on loan to some friends

Some years ago, I lent a set-top aerial and booster to my fiancee and her friends, who were living in a basement flat in Aberdeen and suffering rotten TV reception. When she moved out just before we got married, I came round to collect my kit and she commented that she felt guilty leaving the others 'with no telly', as there was no other way for them to get a signal. (Apart from going and buying their own set-top kit of course, but we didn't get into that).

When I got behind their telly to unplug my stuff, what should I find but a generous length of brown coaxial aerial cable, plugged into a wall socket. I attached it to the TV and, ta-dah ... perfect reception from an aerial presumably on the roof. All four of the girls in the flat, fiancee included, had sworn blind there was no aerial. I can understand them not spotting one on the roof, but I'd have thought the great big pile of cable, plus the wall socket, might have been a giveaway ...

Women ... :p: :Sprint:

zing_deleted
09-05-2006, 11:15
If you signal area is poor be careful buying a wideband aerial yourself as all things are not equal also aligning one isnt that simple that either and you woudl have to risk stuff to go on the roof lol Get sky fitted lol lol

squirrel1970
09-05-2006, 11:49
No chance of me climbing no roof - I have problems with my knees that means I find it difficult climbing stairs - and this is a three story high block of flats and thankfully, I'm on the ground floor.
My partner is scared of 'flying things' (moths and the likes) so no chance of him going up either....

It's just incredible the things one finds when one isn't particularly looking for them.
It just goes to prove that regardless of how good we all think we all are, sometimes our attention span is given over to lesser things and the sort of things that other mortals would go 'Ooo.. look' to.

Graham M
09-05-2006, 12:05
Are you even allowed to mount things on your flat?

Chris
09-05-2006, 12:25
No chance of me climbing no roof - I have problems with my knees that means I find it difficult climbing stairs - and this is a three story high block of flats and thankfully, I'm on the ground floor.
My partner is scared of 'flying things' (moths and the likes) so no chance of him going up either....

It's just incredible the things one finds when one isn't particularly looking for them.
It just goes to prove that regardless of how good we all think we all are, sometimes our attention span is given over to lesser things and the sort of things that other mortals would go 'Ooo.. look' to.

You'll find this forum full of the sort of mortals who will go 'ooo ... look!' over anything vaguely electronic. ;) :D