PDA

View Full Version : Ways to speed up my broadband?

Marku
07-05-2006, 10:50
im not sure im getting the fullspeed i should(on 2mb broadband)

speed test results from ADSLguide tell me my downstream is 1.9mbps and upstream 0.2mbps, im also on a network between 2-3 computers(Belkin router)

When im using bit torrent to download stuff my speed is never maximum(220kbish download and 20-21kb upload is about average i get) is there ports that could be opened to allow full speeds? any advice would be great. thanks

edit: i think ive got a ambit cable modem(when i got it at the time i had ISDN type of speeds)

AbyssUnderground
07-05-2006, 11:26
Your are getting full speeds.

The maximum theoretical speed of 2Mbps broadband is 256KB/s excluding overheads and 25KB/s upload excluding overheads so your speeds are about right.

Torrenting is never a good way to test your top speed as its limited to the upload of other people.

zing_deleted
07-05-2006, 11:29
:welcome: to the forum hope you enjoy your stay.You are gettign your speed as mentioned the only way to increase this is by upgrading

Marku
07-05-2006, 11:32
Would you know which ports are best to be open for bit torrenting for better connection to others. i think it might be NAT relateed or something because i have had yellow and red icons on certain torrents due to my network configurations.

bopdude
07-05-2006, 13:07
Would you know which ports are best to be open for bit torrenting for better connection to others. i think it might be NAT relateed or something because i have had yellow and red icons on certain torrents due to my network configurations.

Have a look in the preferences in BT, it should tell you what ports it needs, I use utorrent 1.5 and it does in there :shrug:
As mentioned, you may never get your full download speed from a torrent as it depends on the upload speeds of the peers your downloading from, I'm on 10meg but rarely get full whack.
HTH

Marku
07-05-2006, 13:42
i use utorrent too. a nice program :-) things should be better once i get that 4mb at the end of june.

darkone338
09-05-2006, 16:14
make sure you limit your upload. Bittorrent has a habbit of saturating your upstream, thus preventing you to download at any great speed. setting it somewhere around 15K (given your line speed) should be sufficient. You certainly wont want to have BT uploading at more than 20K as this will start to affect the performace.

Marku
09-05-2006, 16:17
thanks for advice darkone