PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Modem

AbyssUnderground
06-05-2006, 15:55
Hello All,

My Dad keeps asking me to look for an NTL Modem on eBay, now I know they are there and they are illigal but he will not listen to me.

He is complaining that because he has hired the modem for about 4 years now he is sick of paying for it, as hes paid the price for it over 3 times now at least.

Is it possible to buy one directly from NTL so he doesnt have to pay the £5 hiring fee? Could we simply buy this one from NTL as its never given us trouble?

Ill show him this thread so he knows what is going on and how it all works.

zing_deleted
06-05-2006, 15:58
The £5 hiring fee went out with the ark mate.A bought modem on ebay will not work with his account,just inform him he isnt renting the modem anymore just paying for his service.

Bill C
06-05-2006, 16:03
Hello All,

My Dad keeps asking me to look for an NTL Modem on eBay, now I know they are there and they are illigal but he will not listen to me.

He is complaining that because he has hired the modem for about 4 years now he is sick of paying for it, as hes paid the price for it over 3 times now at least.

Is it possible to buy one directly from NTL so he doesnt have to pay the £5 hiring fee? Could we simply buy this one from NTL as its never given us trouble?

Ill show him this thread so he knows what is going on and how it all works.

Zingle has hit the nail on the head. The simple answer is that NTL will not sell you the modem. If they catch you with a modem off Ebay they will normally NOT connect it for you.

Halcyon
06-05-2006, 16:06
As others have said, it simply won't work. Each modem is registered for use at a particular address and changing any configurations would be illegal.
you now pay for the service (eg. 1mb, 2mb, 10mb) and the modem is provided for you by NTL whilst you are on one of these services.

AbyssUnderground
06-05-2006, 16:29
Thanks guys. I knew it was illigal and that it wouldnt work but he wouldnt beleive me.

I didn't know there was no hiring fee now. Ill let him know.

Thanks All.

Graham M
06-05-2006, 16:47
As has been said, the £5 discount for a bought modem went out with the Ark :) And even then, they had to be bought from NTL.

AbyssUnderground
06-05-2006, 17:09
My Dad started complaining about why he wasnt told he was no longer paying a hiring fee, then asking where the extra £5 a month he pays goes.

He pays £24.99 and we have the 2Mbps service... That price is correct I know. But he was insisting it was £19.99 and £5 for the modem.

He gave up in the end and accepted it when I showed him the NTL signup page with the prices on it.

Thanks for everyones help.

Andy.

Hans Gruber
06-05-2006, 17:19
My Dad started complaining about why he wasnt told he was no longer paying a hiring fee, then asking where the extra £5 a month he pays goes.

Tell him the £5 is going on the extra 1.5mbit he's getting now :p:

Graham M
06-05-2006, 17:21
You took the words out of my mouth Hans (and an extra 3.5MBit very soon) :)

Jules
06-05-2006, 17:23
Also tell him if he rings up customer services he may get a discount see this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=45910&highlight=talk

and at least that way it is legal :)