PDA

View Full Version : Modem Reboot Woes

Semi On
05-05-2006, 20:13
Hi all.

Around the time of the 10Mb introduction, my internet connection started dropping out, causing the modem to reboot itself. I assumed it was Azureus since it would always happen when it was running, but after some experimenting I found I could make it happen by starting several downloads at once via my browser, or downloading something and then opening several web-pages at once - anything that taxes the modem (Ambit 100 btw) past a certain point. Sometimes it reboots itself, other times it drops and then hangs and I have to manually reboot it.

I've read lots of threads by folks with similar issues, and I know some people have had their Ambit 100's (and 120's) replaced, while others have no problems at all, so I don't know what to think. Speeds aren't an issue, I've gotten the full 10Mb from day one, and when I checked my signal levels a couple of months ago they seemed fine, although I think they've worsened since:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.58 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.30 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 59.00 dBmv

It can happen up to 5 times a day, but mostly just 2 or 3 times. I've put up with it this long, mainly I think, in some misguided hope that it will just go away or NTL will release a firmware upgrade that would fix it - anything to avoid calling CS since every such call I make usually ends up in me getting angry!

Is there anything I can do my end or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and call CS?

EDIT: If I do call, is there some sort of log they could access to tell me how often my modem reboots itself per week or month etc? It'd be interesting to know.

martyoo7
05-05-2006, 20:23
Hi
you must contact NTL who should replace your Ambit with a new blue Ambit 250

Semi On
06-05-2006, 12:13
It's as simple as that?

Slyder
06-05-2006, 12:15
It's as simple as that?

Yup - when I upgraded to 10meg my old 120 started dropping out. I had to push to get the 250 model, but now all my problems are gone. :)

sollp
06-05-2006, 12:46
You need a new modem plus those power levels need sorting as well.