PDA

View Full Version : Burglar Alarms

Salu
05-05-2006, 16:15
Ours bowed out gracefully when a workman lifted the landing carpet. He found that the panic button's wire running from the master bedroom had been laid under it and had fused with the said carpet.....

I have never been burgled so I don't have that extra concerned impetus to secure my property, however I feel like I should do something...as I may be next etc...

So I could...

1) Get a company in to fit one
2) Pay a company a monthly rental with monitoring facilities etc...
3) Do nothing as the old bell box would be a deterrent???
4) Buy a wireless (or wired) DIY kit from Argos, Homebase etc
5) Something else

Does anyone have any advice regarding the above?

homealone
05-05-2006, 16:58
allegedly the wireless ones are easily overridden.

ours is a professionally installed wired system, that we have inspected yearly - that would be my personal recommendation, but it is easy to spend someone elses money ;)

gaffer_gump
05-05-2006, 17:17
Ours bowed out gracefully when a workman lifted the landing carpet. He found that the panic button's wire running from the master bedroom had been laid under it and had fused with the said carpet.....

I have never been burgled so I don't have that extra concerned impetus to secure my property, however I feel like I should do something...as I may be next etc...

So I could...

1) Get a company in to fit one
2) Pay a company a monthly rental with monitoring facilities etc...
3) Do nothing as the old bell box would be a deterrent???
4) Buy a wireless (or wired) DIY kit from Argos, Homebase etc
5) Something else

Does anyone have any advice regarding the above?
Gotta be number 1 imo.

The scroats seem to know whats what when it comes to real alarms and I have found the yearly check up I have on my system costs less than the discount my insurance gives me :D

Even if you have pets a good alarm can now tell the difference and does not go off if the dog / cat starts going nutty in the livin room whens the alarm is set.

£400 I would say for the job lot '3-4 pet friendly Pir's , 2 door contacts, panic button and a box front and back and that is sod all for piece of mind.

Now you have given yourself a Gyspys warnin about not being next ...... Guess what !!:Yikes:

And if you are, it wasnt me.. honest Guv :angel:

nffc
05-05-2006, 18:15
Does anyone actually take notice of a nearby alarm going off? Especially with things like Tony Martin / nanny Bl*ir state meaning you can't legally defend yourself or your own property never mind someone else's?

Obviously insurance reasons etc you need to have one and it seems the best one is one monitored by eg the police, or alarm company that has a regular maintenance contract kinda thing.

Ramrod
05-05-2006, 18:17
ADT monitored alarm on our house........they seem good.....the alarm sounds inside the house, not outside so the neighbours wouldn't be annoyed...

bjorkiii
05-05-2006, 18:21
I use an alsatian and a pug.

Halcyon
05-05-2006, 18:38
I'd go with a proffesionally fitted alarm too.
I wouldnt bother paying for a monthly package though, instead see if you can get one that calls your mobile instead. I think it's cheaper than having it call the police.

greencreeper
05-05-2006, 18:42
Bit of a dodgy company if they just run wires under carpets - best avoid them if you go for option 1 :)

Salu
05-05-2006, 18:51

How long did it take them to fit it?

Nidge
05-05-2006, 18:55
I have a monitored one with ADT when the alarm is activated it goes through to a control room, they ring you but you have to pick the phone up within 4 rings, when you pick it up you have a password which you give to the control room.

MovedGoalPosts
05-05-2006, 20:00
Monitored systems will only be reliable if you have redcare on the phone line - that adds considerably to the costs. If you don't have redcar, nobody knows when the phone line gets cut, the first thing the competent (is that really a good way to describe them :rem: ) burglar will do, before they enter your house.

Druchii
05-05-2006, 22:05
Monitored systems will only be reliable if you have redcare on the phone line - that adds considerably to the costs. If you don't have redcar, nobody knows when the phone line gets cut, the first thing the competent (is that really a good way to describe them :rem: ) burglar will do, before they enter your house. Ah, a good point, i'm actually goign to check osmething with my grandads security now... I think he has recare on the line, there is a weird box with key on the phone socket... I always wondered what it was for.

homealone
05-05-2006, 22:55

presumably you have the Peugeot protecting the garage ;) :D

bopdude
06-05-2006, 06:52
Bit of a dodgy company if they just run wires under carpets - best avoid them if you go for option 1 :)

Actually it's very common, the route to a said PIR or contact can sometimes be immposible to conceal ( neat and tidy :erm: ) or in fact to get to, espeacially with concrete floors :(

There really isn't a lot of difference between your 'basic' system, avoid the wireless ones ( although they are getting better :dozey: ) Get a couple of quotes and depending on your budget you could always re-use the PIR's, depending on the age, as said £400 should be about right, unless your going OTT.

HTH

Salu
06-05-2006, 16:56
Isn't the fact I have an alarm installed and visible on the outside of the house enough? It doesnt work but won't it make the burglar move on next door etc??

Druchii
06-05-2006, 16:58
Isn't the fact I have an alarm installed and visible on the outside of the house enough? It doesnt work but won't it make the burglar move on next door etc?? Unfortunatly no, it's been known that they just don't care, they may see the box is meant to flash when it's on, so they know its not working when it's not flashing, etc.

There are other factors too, what if they make there attack from the back of the house where there isn't a box? Not going to save you there is it?