PDA

View Full Version : forward path attenuator

addyb
05-05-2006, 12:48
what exactly is this and what does it do? i have one on the back of my moden that says 3dB, my mate has one with a different number. i find that when i take it off, my internet works better... can anyone ilabertate on this?

Chris
05-05-2006, 13:03
An attenuator is fitted when the signal level on your cable is too high. Excessive signal can degrade your service as much as one which is too weak. Signal levels can change over time, so it's entirely possible that the signal has weakened sufficiently for the attenuator no longer to be necessary.

However, I am not an NTL tech (or even an ex-tech), so I'd wait for someone more qualified to post here before you go ahead and remove it. Even if someone does advise you it's ok to remove it, I suspect would technically be a breach of NTL's T&Cs for you to do so ... ;)

Nedkelly
05-05-2006, 18:06
These are fitted when the signal is to high or when part of the signal is to high .The enginner fiitted it because the levels comming in to your modem were not within spec.;)

Graham M
05-05-2006, 19:56
Echo...!

martyoo7
05-05-2006, 20:17
Hi
im a principal service engineer for ntl/telewest on Teesside.A forward path attenuator ( purple )reduces the signal strength on the forward path to your digi box or modem by whatever the value states on the attenuator.A forward path equaliser ( orange) reduces the lower analogue level accross the 3 measurements that we read ( low/med/hi ),and a cable simulator ( green ) reduces the hi digital signal level without touching the low analogue level.The cable simulator is only used where the drop cable length is very short and the hi digi signal is too strong.Both modems and digi boxes work within fine tolerences so its vital that levels are correct
Cheers and hope this helps without getting too indepth.