PDA

View Full Version : £50 to put a cablemodem in the post?

Andy C
29-11-2003, 02:05
Hello folks...

I was one of the original cablemodem customers back in 98 (or was it 99?). At the time we had to buy our own cablemodems (3com CMX) which I still use today.

Anyway, I am tidying up my mass of network gear and cables and thought one of the nice compact ntl: cablemodems would be neater, so I called them and asked if I could be sent one. Bear in mind I am on the 1meg service and paying rental for a modem I do not have in the subscription. The agent was helpful and went to ask his supervisor if it could be done, he then returned and I was told I could sent a modem, but it would cost £50.

Surely I shouldn't be charged £50 when I don't want installation as I have paid for it a long time ago. I just want it sent out my courier, special delivery or whatever.

Is this normal for us old timers to have to pay a call out charge/installation fee to receive a modem we already pay rental on?

Andy.

Sociable
29-11-2003, 03:43
I would sugest calling again and cancel your contract giving one months notice and at same time sign up for the service again as a "new" customer asking for the free instalation to take place in one months time.

If nothing else it will point out just how ludicrous this situation is. LOL

Other comical option might be to send them an invoice for the last ten months "rental" of YOUR modem with a note suggesting they can credit the cost of the new modem against it. :)

handyman
29-11-2003, 04:09
Just for reference try calling back and tell them the cost of the modems as a replacement should be £10. If they have any issues with that i'll give you the name of someone that will confirm that.
A tenner and a bit of postage accept no less.

hm

th'engineer
29-11-2003, 07:33
my suggestion phone up cancel get free install + i months free and tu for six months free

Frank
29-11-2003, 19:43
And get free BB+ for 3 months. And it will cost them much more in administration and staff time to cancel your services and restore them under a new account. If they are too stupid to realise this then that's unlucky imho.

poolking
15-12-2003, 12:25
Andy C do you have an update on your situation? :D

Rone
18-12-2003, 09:45
And we wonder why theres financial problems at NTL.... ;)