PDA

View Full Version : Would you bother?

TheBlueRaja
04-05-2006, 20:03
Sold an item on Ebay recently, an old Mp3 player boxed and in great condition for which a guy picked it up for £6.50 inc delivery.

Anyway - i get an e-mail from him saying that the rechargeable battery wasnt included in the sale. And im thinking - hold on - there wasnt one.

So i look at the listing again and it said, because i had copied the spec from another site, rechargable battery and charger included.

Doh!

However, this guy now wants the AA battery from me.

I mean - why? Would you bother, is this guy a total <insert expletives here> or am i wrong in thinking he's a <insert expletives here> for asking.

I would understand if it was some fancy rechargeable battery or the like, but a AA rechargeable when he's picked up an MP3 player for 6 quid is a bit of a joke IMO.

I should add he's getting the oldest crappiest piece of crap AA rechargable battery know to man sent to him second class tomorrow.

jellybaby
04-05-2006, 20:09
I can see what you're saying, and I agree, but at the end of the day, it was listed.

Paul K
04-05-2006, 20:13
Unfortunately you listed it and the sale is a contract of sorts :( Send him a junker "sold as seen" so he can't complain when it refuses to hold charge after a week ;)

TheBlueRaja
04-05-2006, 20:23
No - you missing my point, i realise i made a mistake in the listing and he's getting his battery.

But im asking - would you bother?

jellybaby
04-05-2006, 20:24
in short...no :)

Enuff
04-05-2006, 20:33
I'd bother, he has searched ebay for a bargain and found your mp3 player complete with rechargable battery. that could have been the deciding factor for him to bid, if your description had not said with rechargable battery, he may have decided to look elswhere? When I buy anything on ebay I expect whatever it is to be sent to me as described in the listing.

Shabba
04-05-2006, 20:37
And as to why it's in current affairs .... ?

TheBlueRaja
04-05-2006, 20:38
I'd bother, he has searched ebay for a bargain and found your mp3 player complete with rechargable battery. that could have been the deciding factor for him to bid, if your description had not said with rechargable battery, he may have decided to look elswhere? When I buy anything on ebay I expect whatever it is to be sent to me as described in the listing.

An AA recargeable battery was his deciding factor - i really, really doubt that.

Enuff
04-05-2006, 20:49
An AA recargeable battery was his deciding factor - i really, really doubt that.I doubt it too. Maybe he just didnt like the thought of being ripped off?.

martinlindley
04-05-2006, 20:59
let me see would i bother about a rechargable battery with a 6.50 mp3 player eh no i wouldnt you can get about 20 for a pound from the pound shop lets focus on reality people and if you want to ask him for the mp3 player back if he aint happy i will but it from u for 7.50 ha ha:D

Jules
04-05-2006, 21:16
I have to admit I wouldn't have bothered to be honest

NitroNutter
04-05-2006, 21:16
To be honest I wouldnt bother even selling something like that on ebay that might fetch me a tenner if I was lucky. Way to much hassle for such a pathetic return, by the time youve had your ebay fees and paypa; fee took out, the local skip seems a better place if it really must leave your grasp or some charity shop.

homealone
04-05-2006, 21:22
hang on tbr, is it really the battery the buyer wants

rechargable battery and charger included.

- I hope not, of course, but it would seem less petty???

me283
04-05-2006, 21:33
I had a really funny thing happen to me, selling an item on ebay. It was an old mobile phone, tatty, but still working. You know the sort - great as a backup if you ever need one.

Anyway, I listed it just like that, and a guy buys it for £16.50. Then I make the mistake of sending it out before the cheque clears. He then sends me an email to say the screen doesn't work. Well, I check him out and it seems he is a bit of an amateur phone dealer/repairer, so I tell him that I checked it the day it was sent, and it DID work. Anyway, then he says that it does, but "not well enough", and it needs a new screen! And guess what, he wants me to pay him back £10 to do the job!

Anyway, I refuse, he threatens to stop his cheque, I advise him not to, but he does anyway. So I write to him (debt recovery was my job for a long time). He ignores it, and I sue him... and win. But here's the catch - I then apply to the court for what is called a Third Party Charging Order - it kind of freezes an amount in the bank account; you see, I had his bank details on the bounced cheque.

The end result: I end up being paid back the original amount, plus fees - £99.50. .. AND he had to pay the bank an admin fee of £55. What a tool!!

Now, in answer to the opening question, I would not bother. Similarly I didn't think my buyer would bother. But when he tried to take the p*ss it became a matter of principle, and an expensive one for him.

TheBlueRaja
04-05-2006, 22:53
hang on tbr, is it really the battery the buyer wants

- I hope not, of course, but it would seem less petty???

No its definately the battery, he said "unfortunately the rechargable battery is not in the box or the player".

I doubt it too. Maybe he just didnt like the thought of being ripped off?.

So you think he's being ripped off? Even though he's getting the MP3 player on the cheap and the battery for 6.50?

Okay... :monkey:

I had a really funny thing happen to me, <snippy>

:D Class!

A little knowledge goes a long way.

NitroNutter
04-05-2006, 22:59
No its definately the battery, he said "unfortunately the rechargable battery is not in the box or the player".
Lucky you then he isnt asking for a charger aswell.

So you think he's being ripped off? Even though he's getting the MP3 player on the cheap and the battery for 6.50? Okay... :monkey: :D Class! A little knowledge goes a long way.

It may seem petty to you because you at the end of the day mis advertised and have ended up on the raw end of the deal. If you dont get what was described then you have evry right to complain, you would if the same happened to you in the scale that mattered to yourself.

Which leads me back to my first post in the thread. Ebay for small one off junk, not worth the hassle, if you dont know someone locally who would like it and no charity shop wants it theres a nice green thing on wheels @ most houses today.

Enuff
04-05-2006, 23:15
So you think he's being ripped off? Even though he's getting the MP3 player on the cheap and the battery for 6.50?

Okay... :monkey:

No, I said...
I doubt it too. Maybe he just didnt like the thought of being ripped off?.But, why make someone out to be in the wrong (and it sounds like that to me) for your mistake?

tick
04-05-2006, 23:39
all he wants is what you said you where selling .
so i think i would have bothered it's not the worth but the prince able that count
just my thoughts on the matter

danielf
05-05-2006, 00:17
I wouldn't have bothered no. Then again, he may have been fleeced on another auction, and be temporarily anal. Chances are he is anal by character though.

But as others have said, he is within his rights.

Have you tried emailing him and explaining the error/mistake?

Mr Angry
05-05-2006, 00:55
....he threatens to stop his cheque, I advise him not to, but he does anyway. So I write to him (debt recovery was my job for a long time). He ignores it, and I sue him... and win. But here's the catch - I then apply to the court for what is called a Third Party Charging Order - it kind of freezes an amount in the bank account; you see, I had his bank details on the bounced cheque.

The end result: I end up being paid back the original amount, plus fees - £99.50. .. AND he had to pay the bank an admin fee of £55. What a tool!!

I think you mean a third party debt order as opposed to a third party charging order (unless, of course you had somehow managed to obtain information on his assets - hardly likely over £16.50) .

As a matter of interest, which County Court did you do this through?

Shaun
05-05-2006, 01:02
The end result: I end up being paid back the original amount, plus fees - £99.50. ..

Which fees are these?

me283
05-05-2006, 06:24
I think you mean a third party debt order as opposed to a third party charging order (unless, of course you had somehow managed to obtain information on his assets - hardly likely over £16.50) .

As a matter of interest, which County Court did you do this through?

Sorry, my mistake... it's what used to be called a Garnishee Order. The idea behind it being that if the bank holds his money then technically they owe him money. I think I had taken a little too much medication for my man-flu last night... just re-read an email I wrote :disturbd:.

It was the Slough County Court.

---------- Post added at 06:24 ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 ----------

Which fees are these?

Original debt = £16.50. Issue fee for the summons = £30. Application fee for the third party order = £50. Since I won the case, the debtor has to pay them back to me.

TheBlueRaja
05-05-2006, 08:56
No, I said...
But, why make someone out to be in the wrong (and it sounds like that to me) for your mistake?

Please go back and READ this thread as your missing the point.

He got the charger (it was sent in the box, he never asked for the charger), he got the MP3 player AND HES GETTING THE AA BATTERY.

The point of the whole thread (as i have explained twice now) is ....

WOULD YOU BOTHER?

Your either on the wind up here or your not the sharpest guy i've never met.

(See if you can work out the double negative)

NitroNutter
05-05-2006, 09:14
Please go back and READ this thread as your missing the point. He got the charger (it was sent in the box, he never asked for the charger), he got the MP3 player AND HES GETTING THE AA BATTERY. The point of the whole thread (as i have explained twice now) is .... WOULD YOU BOTHER? Your either on the wind up here or your not the sharpest guy i've never met. (See if you can work out the double negative) I think you may have misrepresented yourself again, I dont see in the first post the charger was also in the box, many people may asume from your first post, the charger also didnt exist as unless the device actually has a special battery they also often dont come with any mains adapter.

Edit:

In fact vreading your posts in the thread again the only real mention on the charger is within the part you say you misrepresented the sale with "charger and battery included" so its very reasonable for everyone to read the posts as both items was your misrepresentation. This is the first time you have actually clarified the charger existed and was recieved.

Graham M
05-05-2006, 09:17
No I wouldnt bother, you cant with any usual chargers recharge a battery on its own anyway!

Stuart
05-05-2006, 09:21
<snip>

LOL, Good for you.

Although I have an Abbey current account, and when I enquired about stopping a cheque, they said I couldn't.. Ahh well.

In answer to TBR's question. No, I wouldn't have kicked up a fuss about a rechargable AA battery. The charger, possibly, but not the battery. After all, why kick up a fuss about an old, possibly knackered rechargable battery when you can have a new one for a couple of quid?

TheBlueRaja
05-05-2006, 09:25
I think you may have misrepresented yourself again, I dont see in the first post the charger was also in the box, many people may asume from your first post, the charger also didnt exist as unless the device actually has a special battery they also often dont come with any mains adapter.

Edit:

In fact vreading your posts in the thread again the only real mention on the charger is within the part you say you misrepresented the sale with "charger and battery included" so its very reasonable for everyone to read the posts as both items was your misrepresentation. This is the first time you have actually clarified the charger existed and was recieved.

So in the first post where it says

Anyway - i get an e-mail from him saying that the rechargeable battery wasnt included in the sale. And im thinking - hold on - there wasnt one.

So i look at the listing again and it said, because i had copied the spec from another site, rechargable battery and charger included.

Doh!

However, this guy now wants the AA battery from me.

That wasnt clear enough for you - well fair enough - not everyone is as clever as me...

Salu
05-05-2006, 09:31
I think I would write back and apologise and say I had made a mistake by cutting and pasting etc....and leave it at that. Often an apology is all someone is really looking for and he may feel its not worth spending any more time on.....

Bill C
05-05-2006, 09:34
No - you missing my point, i realise i made a mistake in the listing and he's getting his battery.

But im asking - would you bother?

Personally no i would not bother

Jules
05-05-2006, 09:56
It is one lousy battery hardly important in the big scheme of things is it? The fella who bought the item needs to get a life

Jules
05-05-2006, 10:12
Nitro I have to ask....are you having a bad day ;)

Halcyon
05-05-2006, 10:31
I wouldnt have bothered asking for a battery either.
Knowing these things get worse over time, I wouldnt want a half dead battery.
You could get one faster going to your local shop and picking up some for about £3.50 knowing they are brand new, than waiting 3 days for half dead battieres to be sent.

Stuart
05-05-2006, 10:41
Nitronutter & Blue Raja, calm down. If you wish to have an argument, take it to PM.

Edit: Right, I have now deleted the offending posts. Any more fighting, and I will close the thread.

NitroNutter
05-05-2006, 10:59
Nitronutter & Blue Raja, calm down. If you wish to have an argument, take it to PM. Edit: Right, I have now deleted the offending posts. Any more fighting, and I will close the thread. As it goes Stuart he is welcome to continue as much as he likes, I really dont care. I certainly dont want my PM box filling up with the likes of the crap being spammed into this thread.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Can I also ask why is this in current affairs ?

I would hardly consider it a news item but some personal thing BlueRaja wishes to share and gather opinion.

Chris
05-05-2006, 12:51
Moved to Lifestyle.

And, while I'm here ... I would have asked for the batteries. You advertise them, you provide them. I would consider it my contribution to the cause of keeping eBay listings honest and accurate.

BR, you may have made an honest mistake, many others do not and mis-sell deliberately. It is better for the probity of eBay in the long run if buyers insist they get what they paid for.

TheBlueRaja
05-05-2006, 14:24
Moved to Lifestyle.

And, while I'm here ... I would have asked for the batteries. You advertise them, you provide them. I would consider it my contribution to the cause of keeping eBay listings honest and accurate.

BR, you may have made an honest mistake, many others do not and mis-sell deliberately. It is better for the probity of eBay in the long run if buyers insist they get what they paid for.

Its a fair point to be honest - and like i said i have no issue with it as i provided him with the battery as it was in the listing.

I wanted to just discover if the tables were turned if i was the only one who wouldnt have bothered about it, given the cost of the item sold and the cost of getting the replacement part.

I think the majority on here who have replied say they wouldnt bother but there have been a couple who say they would bother too.

Looks like i got double unlucky in that i should have checked my listing more thouroughly beforehand (i did double check it but missed the rechargable battery bit) and getting somebody who's bothered.

I still think he's a cheapskate though.

Enuff
05-05-2006, 15:08
Now, I know i'm not the sharpest of guys, so i'll try and give you my answers to your questions the best I can...

Q1. This guy now wants the AA battery from me. I mean - why?

A1. Because you listed it in your item description. (even if it was a mistake)

Q2. Would you bother?

A2. Yes, I'd expect to recieve the items(s) I have paid for.

Q3. Is this guy a total <insert expletives here>?

A3. No he's not.

Q4. Am I wrong in thinking he's a <insert expletives here> for asking?

A4. Yes you are wrong.

Maybe if I give you the answers you want to hear, you might be less insulting and find someone else to pick on? let's try...

A1. I've no idea m8? Who does he think he is!?

Q2. Would you bother?

A2. No way, I'm not that daft! LOL

A3. Dead right! He's not the sharpest of guys is he!.

A4. What? TheBlueRaja, wrong? Not a chance.

Happy now?

TheBlueRaja
05-05-2006, 15:37
Now, I know i'm not the sharpest of guys, so i'll try and give you my answers to your questions the best I can...

A1. Because you listed it in your item description. (even if it was a mistake)

Q2. Would you bother?

A2. Yes, I'd expect to recieve the items(s) I have paid for.

A3. No he's not.

A4. Yes you are wrong.

Maybe if I give you the answers you want to hear, you might be less insulting and find someone else to pick on? let's try...

A1. I've no idea m8? Who does he think he is!?

Q2. Would you bother?

A2. No way, I'm not that daft! LOL

A3. Dead right! He's not the sharpest of guys is he!.

A4. What? TheBlueRaja, wrong? Not a chance.

Happy now?

:p:

Enuff
05-05-2006, 15:49
:p:A great answer, Just what I expected.

cookie_365
05-05-2006, 18:24
Personally I wouldn't bother, but then again:

If you advertised something on ebay, then didn't send quite everything you agreed to send the buyer for his money, and he asked you to send the rest of your stuff, would you bother posting a CF thread moaning about it? ;)

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

And as to why it's in current affairs .... ?

It's a battery - electrical current ;)

TheBlueRaja
05-05-2006, 18:39
Personally I wouldn't bother, but then again:

If you advertised something on ebay, then didn't send quite everything you agreed to send the buyer for his money, and he asked you to send the rest of your stuff, would you bother posting a CF thread moaning about it? ;)

Yes. Rather obviously :D