PDA

View Full Version : Flags are back

Mike
02-05-2006, 19:05
What more can I say.............the world cup is weeks away and these stupid flags on cars have started to reappear. Sorry but the just do my head in, just a big build up so we can be knocked down. Sooner it all ends the better !

Mike

Graham M
02-05-2006, 19:09
Those flags are just obnoxious!

Russ
02-05-2006, 19:09
Moved to Lifestyle.

homealone
02-05-2006, 19:13
Bless, I don't see anything wrong with expressing support for the team - expecting them to win anything is probably a bit far fetched, but we may as well start with some confidence.

If we could get the press to calm down their hype, then that would be an improvement - they are the ones who do the 'set you up to fall' jobbie, the fans with flags are just showing their support, in my opinion. :)

Millay
02-05-2006, 19:29

Out of interest Zeph why are these flags obnoxious?

Chris
02-05-2006, 19:33

What a bizarre thing to say. I can't think of another nation on Earth where anyone would hold such a view. What is 'obnoxious' about them?

Russ
02-05-2006, 19:33
Because they promote racism.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaa!!! Fooled you!!! :D

Maggy
02-05-2006, 19:45
Well one of these days there will be accident due to this fad.I hope I'm not involved when it happens.It wouldn't be so bad if everyone stuck to the small ones but last time I saw one that was full sized attached very badly to a pick-up truck.:erm:

budwieser
02-05-2006, 20:31
Because they promote racism.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaa!!! Fooled you!!! :D

******!:D

Hahahahahahaha Fooled you!:D ****!

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

What more can I say.............the world cup is weeks away and these stupid flags on cars have started to reappear. Sorry but the just do my head in, just a big build up so we can be knocked down. Sooner it all ends the better !

Mike

Aw, C`mon, where`s your sense of patriotism.?:)

England! England! Three lions on a shirt.:D

skyblueheroes
02-05-2006, 20:31
Other counties are passionate - why shouldn't we be ?

Graham M
02-05-2006, 20:37
What a bizarre thing to say. I can't think of another nation on Earth where anyone would hold such a view. What is 'obnoxious' about them?

I know its a weird view, maybe obnoxious wasnt the right word, i just seem to see them everywhere, usually on the cars associated with chavs, gives a bad view of them :)

Maggy
02-05-2006, 20:47
I know its a weird view, maybe obnoxious wasnt the right word, i just seem to see them everywhere, usually on the cars associated with chavs, gives a bad view of them :)

I dunno maybe a few Chavs and the chavmobiles need to hide behind a flag..pity they go on the road in them though.:)

Theodoric
02-05-2006, 21:12
It's not the plain English flags that annoy me; it's the ones with ENGLAND written across them. Are these patriotic fans so uncertain of what their flag looks like that they need to reassure themselves that it is indeed an English flag? When was the last time that you saw the Stars and Stripes with USA written across it, or the Tricolour with FRANCE emblazoned on it?

Halcyon
02-05-2006, 21:26
Give it a month or so and there will be tonnes of these flags littering the roads that have fallen off cars.

DaggaDagga
02-05-2006, 21:30
I thought they were a safety device to warn everyone else that the driver is a moron.

There's another similar one - a badge with the letters B, M and W on it.

ellie
02-05-2006, 22:35
Oh dont be spoilsports ..the flags are fun https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/05/13.gif :D

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

I thought they were a safety device to warn everyone else that the driver is a moron.

Ouch! :rolleyes: ..ooh jealous?

ikthius
02-05-2006, 23:20
I might get a flag.........................

Of Sweden

ik

Stuart
02-05-2006, 23:26

No, that badge doesn't necessarily signify a moron. It might be just that they don't know how to use the indicators..

Anyway, I don't see the problem with the flag. Us English don't get to be patriotic much. Don't even really celebrate our national day (which we must be the only country in the world that doesn't),

cookie_365
03-05-2006, 17:42
Does this mean that there'll be nothing on TV except for boring football? :(

littld
03-05-2006, 17:47
Being flashy and proud is just not English, is it?

Much better to keep the profile down, not get excited and back whoever is the underdrog. That's more like us.

Graham M
03-05-2006, 17:49
Does this mean that there'll be nothing on TV except for boring football? :(

Unfortunately that's more than likely :(

Paul
03-05-2006, 17:51
There are some sad people about. :rolleyes:

Fly the flag and be proud of your country. :)

Scarlett
03-05-2006, 18:24
Does this mean that there'll be nothing on TV except for boring football? :(Unfortunately that's more than likely :(

Don't you have digital TV ? why then you can have nothing but football on 20 channels including that all important Neasdon FC Vs Langly FC world cup theme local derby.

And if football isn't your thing then you can watch one of the 100's of repeats that'll be on instead. I can't wait for my 'Eldorado (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1992/tv3.shtml)' all nighter instead of the opening England match...

Oh an I don't like the flags either they just kind of put me in the mind of people who quote the entire previous post and add 'I agree' or 'me to' to the end of on long emails, newsgroups and discussion boards.

Kliro
03-05-2006, 18:52
Rah

Graham M
03-05-2006, 18:57
Thats a bit Skew?

nemesis01
03-05-2006, 20:20

Mike

My my, are you always this optimistic? You never know, they might just win, put it this way if S Korea can get to the semi's then anything's possible.:erm:

Druchii
03-05-2006, 21:23
Saw one today in a very racially fueled area of Doncaster... I'm just waiting for the windows to be put through and tyres slashed to be honest...

DaggaDagga
03-05-2006, 21:28
Oh an I don't like the flags either they just kind of put me in the mind of people who quote the entire previous post and add 'I agree' or 'me to' to the end of on long emails, newsgroups and discussion boards.

I agree.

ben1390
01-06-2006, 23:28
Unfortunately that's more than likely :(
Thank god, im not the only person who thinks football is boring

what is the point of the game :shrug:?, what does kicking a bag of wind into a string net and then all the players running around the pitch putting their shirts over their heads achieve?????

Mal
01-06-2006, 23:36
I might get a flag.........................

Of Sweden

ikYou are only saying that because we cannot retort...you're not in the World Cup, so we cannot flag of your opposing team ;) :D

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

Anyway, you will end up paying (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/5038310.stm) for those flags... ;)

enjoymarcus
02-06-2006, 02:58
I have 3 problems with them.

1. They look stupid. There's being patriotic, and theres being OTT.

2. Half the people who put them on their cars couldn't tell you who half the squad are, what im saying is, they aren't football fans, they just jump on the bandwagon and hype train.

3. Just another example of the English flag being used as a symbolism of capitalism, rather than a symbolism of patriotism. The reason i say this is, as soon as any major sporting event involving England rolls around, all this cheap knock off merchandise (no doubt from the far east) springs up, and it looks horrible and tacky. T-shirts, chairs, gazebos, towels, flip flops, and anything else that can fit a England flag on it springs up in market places, pound shops, and council estates.

Fair enough support your country, but don't paint your house with the flag, don't decorate your car with minature flags, don't go out and buy anything with the St George scrawled all over it.

[Might be controversial] No wonder non-English people feel alienated in this country and there is such a large divide between ethnic communites, we are constantly flouting in their faces that they are not English, and that we are. Maybe they should respect our customs, but no need to rub it in their faces at every possible oppurtunity. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a immigration debate. I was just bulstering my argument for the destruction of mini English car flags.

Xaccers
02-06-2006, 03:38

what is the point of the game :shrug:?, what does kicking a bag of wind into a string net and then all the players running around the pitch putting their shirts over their heads achieve?????

Now if that bag of wind was replaced by another bag of wind, say a politician, that could be interesting ;)

Nidge
02-06-2006, 06:04

Mike

With you on that one.

AndrewJ
02-06-2006, 07:46
http://www.thisishampshire.net/hampshire/southampton/thesaints/wallpaper/england_flag_thum.jpg

scrotnig
02-06-2006, 07:54
No wonder non-English people feel alienated in this country and there is such a large divide between ethnic communites, we are constantly flouting in their faces that they are not English, and that we are. Maybe they should respect our customs, but no need to rub it in their faces at every possible oppurtunity. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a immigration debate. I was just bulstering my argument for the destruction of mini English car flags.
I'm sorry too.

Firstly, I don't know of any non-English people (apart from Scots, possibly) who DO feel they have it rubbed in their faces. Immigrants and the like don't need members of the indigenous population to feel offended on their behalf, if they have a problem then they are able to say so themselves.

Secondly, even if they do have a problem, it's rather tough! If they have a problem with the English, then don't come to England. Plenty of other non-English countries they could settle in if ours is not to their liking.

If you are guest in someone's house, you don't start complaining about the way they live.

etccarmageddon
02-06-2006, 08:23
and surely the only non english people in england are tourists/visitors and temp assylum seekers. if you have imigrated here then you become an english person.

spiderplant
02-06-2006, 09:06
Not at all. I saw an article in the Times a while back about media hype. It said despite being the so-called "national game", only 14% of the UK population are interested in football.

Salu
02-06-2006, 09:20
Why is it that pretty much the only time the country gets anywhere near patriotic is for a game of football?

Scarlett
02-06-2006, 09:48
Why is it that pretty much the only time the country gets anywhere near patriotic is for a game of football?

Not true!, there's loads of people who get patriotic on March 17th each year... Okay not English patriatism but patriotic none the less :D

Russ
02-06-2006, 09:53
Firstly, I don't know of any non-English people (apart from Scots, possibly) who DO feel they have it rubbed in their faces.

:wavey:

Scarlett
02-06-2006, 10:59
Just received this on email...

DEPT OF TRANSPORT INITIATIVE - MAY 2006.
Information Release.
There is concern over the current driving standards in England, so the
Department of Transport have devised a scheme to identify poor and
dangerous drivers. This system will allow all road users to recognise
the potentially hazardous and dangerous ones, or those with limited
driving skills. From the middle of May 2006 all those drivers who are
found to be a potential hazard to all other road users will be issued
with a white flag, bearing a red cross. This flag clearly indicates
their inability to drive properly. These flags must be clipped to a door
of the car and be visible to all other drivers and pedestrians.
Those drivers who have shown particularly poor driving skills will have
to display two flags: One on each side of the car to indicate an even
greater lack of skill and limited driving intelligence. Please circulate
this to as many other motorists as you can, in order that drivers and
pedestrians will be aware of the meaning of these flags.
Thank you for your co-operation.

Department of Transport.

Halcyon
02-06-2006, 13:45
LOL
Quality !

Those flags are starting to get way over the top now.
There are some everywhere.

danielf
02-06-2006, 13:50
Just received this on email...

DEPT OF TRANSPORT INITIATIVE - MAY 2006.
Information Release.
There is concern over the current driving standards in England, so the
Department of Transport have devised a scheme to identify poor and
dangerous drivers. This system will allow all road users to recognise
the potentially hazardous and dangerous ones, or those with limited
driving skills. From the middle of May 2006 all those drivers who are
found to be a potential hazard to all other road users will be issued
with a white flag, bearing a red cross. This flag clearly indicates
their inability to drive properly. These flags must be clipped to a door
of the car and be visible to all other drivers and pedestrians.
Those drivers who have shown particularly poor driving skills will have
to display two flags: One on each side of the car to indicate an even
greater lack of skill and limited driving intelligence. Please circulate
this to as many other motorists as you can, in order that drivers and
pedestrians will be aware of the meaning of these flags.
Thank you for your co-operation.

Department of Transport.

Ahem!
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=751333&postcount=25

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=751947&postcount=77

Stuart
02-06-2006, 14:55
Does this mean that there'll be nothing on TV except for boring football? :(Unfortunately that's more than likely :(

Don't you have digital TV ? why then you can have nothing but football on 20 channels including that all important Neasdon FC Vs Langly FC world cup theme local derby.

And if football isn't your thing then you can watch one of the 100's of repeats that'll be on instead. I can't wait for my 'Eldorado (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1992/tv3.shtml)' all nighter instead of the opening England match...

I agree..

:D

Druchii
02-06-2006, 15:16
Just seen a council maintenance van rolling down the streets with two of these flags attached. Must say i was suprised :D

Nugget
02-06-2006, 15:19
Just seen a council maintenance van rolling down the streets with two of these flags attached. Must say i was suprised :D

I'd have been surprised - didn't they put the handbrake on or something?

*ahem* :disturbd:

Jules
02-06-2006, 15:37
I so wish i could give out more greenies with out tarting around as Nug would get a bucketfull of them lol

Salu
02-06-2006, 15:46
They were saying on the radio today that putting these flags on your car may invalidate your insurance policy....

Jules
02-06-2006, 15:50
How? lol Will they stop at nothing to save paying out? :rofl:

Nugget
02-06-2006, 15:56
How? lol Will they stop at nothing to save paying out? :rofl:

It's probably cos an irate Scotsman is technically an act of God (or possibly a force of nature) :D

Salu
02-06-2006, 16:11
No puns about Green Flag coming to the rescue??

Nugget
02-06-2006, 16:12
No puns about Green Flag coming to the rescue??

Nah, no-one's got a direct line for them :)

Druchii
02-06-2006, 16:28
Nah, no-one's got a direct line for them :) Oh my god... *slaps forehead* That was the worst pun i've ever heard Nuggy. Well done :D

And yes, the handbrake was indeed in the disengaged position as they were driving it... That or the local lads had managed to get inside and drove it away...

Nugget
02-06-2006, 16:31
Oh my god... *slaps forehead* That was the worst pun i've ever heard Nuggy. Well done :D

And yes, the handbrake was indeed in the disengaged position as they were driving it... That or the local lads had managed to get inside and drove it away...

That was the worst pun? You've obviously not read all of my posts - that one was right up the top of the list :D :disturbd:

Druchii
02-06-2006, 16:33
That was the worst pun? You've obviously not read all of my posts - that one was right up the top of the list :D :disturbd: Ahhh. True, very true. I've only been here just over a month or so though ;)

Jules
02-06-2006, 16:35
Ahhh. True, very true. I've only been here just over a month or so though ;)

And you have a post count of 1000+ does any one have a special flag for Druchii? lol

Druchii
02-06-2006, 16:37
And you have a post count of 1000+ does any one have a special flag for Druchii? lol As long as it's in the shape of a life and i can use it then go ahead :D

scrotnig
02-06-2006, 18:32
:wavey:
Do the English still rub things in the faces of the Welsh? :erm:

I thought we'd got all bored of that since the damn Scots took over the government! :angel:

Besides, Welsh people need to get MUCH more grumpy if they want to hold a candle to the Scots. Though they do win on the 'incomprehensible speech' front...just!:disturbd:

Slyder
02-06-2006, 19:07

Mike

Here Here... :tu:

There banned at my workplace.. engineers are not being allowed to showboat the ruddy things... thank god.