PDA

View Full Version : Car trouble

liamboyle06
02-05-2006, 10:13
Hi all, I'm Hoping someone can help here. I have 2 issues, but dont know if they are related.
I Have a 97 Clio, and over the weekend, I had a bit of trouble starting the Car, It seemed as if the Battery was Dying; while driving at night, lights became very dull, wipers hardly moved, Radio switched off - Something out of a SciFi movie. Anyway, locked the car up that Night and next morning the car would not start, all lights came on the Dashboard, but the car would not turn over. When I put the Power Pack on, It started the Car Straight Away. I headed over to Halfords where they tested the battery and found it was dead, Therefore, they replaced the battery for me. Upon the new battery being installed, the car started up straight away. I then toook a 140mile round trip, but when we stopped at our location, the Battery Light came back on again, although the car was still running, After site seeing for a while and returning to the car to start it up, it started up straight away, but the battery light was still coming on :confused: .

On top of that, the second issue was, while I was driving around the places, the car would start to Rev very High up to 6000rpm(highest it could go) according to the Dashboard. When this happened, the car would start to Slow down and it would stay like it for about 1 min, then go back to normal revs and I was able to start accelerating again. Now I am even more :confused: .

Can any body help me at all?

orangebird
02-05-2006, 10:21
I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like your alternator's buggered.

Graham M
02-05-2006, 10:23
As for the battery warning light, maybe your Alternator is faulty or perhaps the belt feeding it is slack. As for the Revs problem, Ive heard something similar before but I'm not sure i'm afraid. The tightness of the belt is easy to check if you know what you're looking for :)

homealone
02-05-2006, 10:36
Sounds like two seperate problems, as has been said check the fan belt, first, & if that is ok, then the alternator.

The over-revving sounds more of a problem, it could be as simple as the throttle cable sticking, but if you can't sort it yourself, I would get someone to look at it.

Nidge
02-05-2006, 14:02
Like all the above have said it sounds like your alternator or your fan belt being to slack, if your throttle cable is sticking spray some DWD40 on the cable it will free it off.

marky
02-05-2006, 14:14
It does sound like the alternator, and the power problems may be confusing the engine managment system.
Start the engine, turn all the lights on then disconect the negative lead from the battery, if it dies then its the alternator :)

budwieser
02-05-2006, 20:41
It does sound like the alternator, and the power problems may be confusing the engine managment system.
Start the engine, turn all the lights on then disconect the negative lead from the battery, if it dies then its the alternator :)

No.......... Don`t have the engine running and disconnect the earth lead!:nono: If it`s not the alternator, it might very well soon be if you do this.
Get somebody to either do a drop test on the battery and check the output from the alternator, or just get somebody to put a meter on the battery and see if the voltage drops consistantly, if it does, you`ll know that the battery is knackered.