PDA

View Full Version : Ants and wee.

Russ
02-05-2006, 00:20
Over the weekend I had my daughter and she's taking her time in being potty trained. Anyway, I took her home yesterday and when I got back I noticed she had wee'd in her potty before we left, and there were about 20 ants which must have climbed in and drowned. Apart from realising I must have an ant infestation, I thought it was a bit odd that ants would be attracted to urine.

I looked online and noticed that ants were once used to detect diabetes as they are attracted to the wee of diabetics.

I can't really find anything else which explains why they would be attracted to it and I really hope this does not mean she has diabetes (my mother has it and apparently it's hereditary) so does anyone have any ideas what it might be about?

TheDaddy
02-05-2006, 00:26
It may just be that she had a fizzy drink and they were attracted to that, we used to keep insects of the vegetables with all sorts of drinks years back. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Russ
02-05-2006, 00:47
No, she hadn't had any fizzy drinks as I don't like her drinking them. I do tend to buy a lot of Robinsons' squash for her though.

Caff
02-05-2006, 01:09
...Buy some test strips from the chemist for the next time she visits? It would put you in a more informed position. - to bring the subject up if you needed to, I mean.

Cheers.

Russ
02-05-2006, 01:15
Hmm, not sure about the test strips, they involve *****ing her skin to get a drop of blood and I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Still, if we need to take her to the doctor then I'm sure he'll only do something similar.

Druchii
02-05-2006, 01:19
No, she hadn't had any fizzy drinks as I don't like her drinking them. I do tend to buy a lot of Robinsons' squash for her though. I could fo sworn that the robinsons squash was notoriously sugary, and rich in sweetners. Or was that another product of thiers?

I think you may have your answer there anyway.

Caff
02-05-2006, 01:29
Hmm, not sure about the test strips, they involve *****ing her skin to get a drop of blood and I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Still, if we need to take her to the doctor then I'm sure he'll only do something similar.

The one I use is a dip-stick (into the urine) type - paper on a plastic strip. Not painful at all.

Russ
02-05-2006, 01:31
Do you have a link for it?

Caff
02-05-2006, 01:55
Do you have a link for it?

http://www.valuemed.co.uk/acatalog/Diabetes_Tests_&_monitors.html

Top item. We've found it reliable.

My eldest, 21, has (as we found out a few months ago) only one kidney and it is diseased. He tests his samples regularly.

We haven't been told to monitor for diabetes - I'm just a finicky mother :)

The blood sample tests may well be more accurate - I haven't used them. The hospital does that every 3 months.

Cheers.

homealone
02-05-2006, 02:28
'squash' type drinks are a variable input in any diet, because it depends how much you dilute them, and how often they are taken.

there is no 'real' difference between 'sugar' in a squash, and a bag of Tate & Lyle, but diluted to a realistic level, squash type drinks can replace fluids quite adequately.

banjo
02-05-2006, 07:59
I believe that Loyds chemist do a free health check up which includes a diabetes test, best to go early and not eat anything before going though as this can affect the results. :)

Russ
02-05-2006, 07:59
http://www.valuemed.co.uk/acatalog/Diabetes_Tests_&_monitors.html

Top item. We've found it reliable.

My eldest, 21, has (as we found out a few months ago) only one kidney and it is diseased. He tests his samples regularly.

We haven't been told to monitor for diabetes - I'm just a finicky mother :)

The blood sample tests may well be more accurate - I haven't used them. The hospital does that every 3 months.

Cheers.

Thanks for that - looks like just the thing :)

Salu
02-05-2006, 12:30
Has anything else given you cause for concern for your daughter's health other than ants heading towards her urine? Does she have a normal kidney function to your knowledge? Frequent UTIs for example? (UTI - Urinary tract infection).

Russ
02-05-2006, 18:20
No, nothing like that. As far as we know she's completely healthy.

budwieser
02-05-2006, 20:34

Hope everything turns out ok Russ. Please keep us posted.
:erm:

Russ
02-05-2006, 20:38
Thanks - I'd forgotten that her mother has recently started work as a part-time pharmacist and has access to these kits so she's going to get one tomorrow.

Salu
02-05-2006, 20:46

In that case either forget about it or take her to your GP. It's better that he/she interprets the results of the dipstick rather than you. Even if it shows something positive you will still have to repeat the test at your GP to get something done.

I think you are probably best to relax and not overly concern yourself over some insect interest in her wee....keep an eye on her and watch for other symptoms and then react.

Russ
02-05-2006, 20:54
Thanks for the reassurance brother :) :tu:

Jules
07-06-2006, 10:33
How is it going Russ? I hope she is ok, only natural to worry it is what parents do :)