PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles.

Druchii
01-05-2006, 18:54
I was just wondering who here rides a motorbike and how they came to choose it over a car?

Ever since i was little i've been looking at motorbikes almost daily, just the shapes and the speed mainly, i never looked into specs or anything, and so far my favourtie bike seems to be the Yahama R1.

Just thought i'd get a little discussion on this, i don't think it's been mentioned before ;)

http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/yamaha-r1-02-bikepics-413919.jpg

*drools*

<edit: Chris W> embedded image removed as us people with tiny displays had lots of sideways scrolling to do!

spiderplant
01-05-2006, 22:12
I got into bikes originally because you could have one at 16 (well, 50cc, anyway). In fact I was so happy riding I didn't bother learning to drive a car until I was 18. I've always owned both since, though I more-or-less gave up riding in my 20s because I couldn't afford to run both.

Given the choice (and half-decent weather) I always pick the bike. But even in crap weather it's still more fun than the car. I ride a Honda VFR800. Like this, but dirtier...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/05/56.jpg

ikthius
01-05-2006, 23:03
I want to do my direct access at some point next year. oh and I love the yamaha R1. I also like the honda CBR600

ik

homealone
01-05-2006, 23:32
I'd love to have a go on a modern bike, the last 'big' bike I rode was a BSA Road Rocket, & I managed to get it round the block with a 'bird on the back', with a lot more fear than she knew about ;)

- then the bloke who's beezer it was got one of the first Honda Fours - I never got to ride it, but the nearly 40 miles Grimsby to Lincoln in much less than 30 minutes, on the pillion, on a very very twisty road, was - educational :Yikes:

01-05-2006, 23:38
I've been a bike fan since about the age of 7 or 8..grew up with bedroom walls covered in motocross bikes and was lucky enough to afford a ts50 when i was old enough to get my provisional. bought a brand spanking new ts 125x when i was 17 and had a near fatal crash 3 months later and spent 2 months in hospital.
i've still loved bikes in paricular the cbr 600 and r6 .... but have not ridden or even sat on a bike since that accident :(

ZrByte
02-05-2006, 00:26
I used to own a 100cc scooter before I got my car, I absoluteley loved it until the first time I fell off. I lost all my confidence when riding in poor weather conditions.
That said, Ive been driving for nearly 2 years now and Im planning on buying another bike when Ive got a couple more years no claims (by then I'll be over 25 aswel wich will help a lot with insurance).
Its funny, I never thought I'd miss it but whenever we have any really good weather and on the rare occasions im not ferrying everyone around I would really like to get back on two wheels.

Gooch
02-05-2006, 17:15
I currently ride a CBR600F all year round. I did my test in the Army and used to ride Armstrong 500cc and Harley Davidson 350cc Army bikes. It was great fun until you went on exercise in the winter. Then no one would want to have to get out of their sleeping bag at 0300 on a wet January morning to courier something to an exercise area 100 miles away!

Xaccers
02-05-2006, 17:24
I started out on an AR50 (took it from Portsmouth to Cheddar, a 200 mile round trip, in the first week I had it, actually I did about 600 miles in the first week).
Then I got an old CB100 for college.
Eventually got fed up with police harassment.
One instance which sticks in my mind was being pulled over and two PC's trying to remember what the tread depth limit should be.
One reckoned that "if you can see tread on a moped's tyres, then it's legal" (shocking!) and the other wanted to do me by claiming it was 2mm, while I stood there reciting "1.6mm over the central circumference of the tyre"
My tread was at 1.7mm and I was already going to get the tyres changed at the end of the week when I got paid.
Eventually a 3rd PC came out to see what was taking so long and told me I should be grateful they hadn't given me a £40 on the spot fine (for having legal tyres? would have loved to have seen them try!)
Two weeks later, I was hit up the back by a bus near Fratton Park, as I stopped at some temporary traffic lights (which were red).
The bus driver said he thought I went through the lights!

gaffer_gump
02-05-2006, 17:36
Here is my current ride, it's a Suzuki Sv650.
And yeah I do keep it in the house altho I have to show mega self control when drunk because I know I want to do a do-nut on the dining room carpet.

The fredom biking gives you is great but with so much speed at your fingertips even if you don't go over the limit most car drivers cannot comprehend just how fast you can be on them, had a couple of near misses but no one has got me yet 'me touches wood' lol.
I put that down to the driving instructor training I had and not to the skill of my riding, but hey imma still here kickin and screamin.

My advice to you all is.

Get a bike, it's fantastic but please please get as much instruction as you can, even on a 125 you can go on a track day and the information and tips they give you will be invaluable on the roads..