PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network

LooeyUK
28-11-2003, 19:10
Ive brought a laptop and want to connect it up to the net wirelessly.

At the moment its like this

NTL BOX > Linksys 4-port router > my pc
my sisters pc
my xbox
my laptop

I want to make my laptop wireless so I understand I need to buy a PCMIA (think thats it?) card to put inside my laptop.

Now this bit confuse's me, what do i need to buy to connect it to the net? a router or a access point.

My understanding is the access point plugs into the exsisting router and that access points works with my laptop.

Am I correct
If so, can someone reconmend a good bit of kit?

Cheers

Ramrod
28-11-2003, 19:15
I've got a netgear router (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNTaG93UmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D) (sorry bifta)that connects with a cable to my stb and pc, my wifes laptop uses a pcmia card to connect wirelessly to the router.

Tricky
28-11-2003, 19:18
Just an access point required
Unless you get rid of your existing router (add more ports) and go for a wireless router which is what I did! - Don't take this as a recommendation though I've got lots of network devices at home!

EDIT : Which router do you have now - it's not wireless is it?

Indians
28-11-2003, 19:39
I used a Netgear WG602 Access Point plugged into my Existing Netgear Router, Netgear WG511 PCMCIA (Cardbus) card into laptop both are 802.11G (54MBits/s) with backwards compatibilty with 802.11B. I think depending on what OS you have you should make sure it's a cardbus type card for the Laptop. Looks like you might need the extra port on the router though, you already have all ports used, so the combined wireless router (with 4 wired ports) might be best bet.

jusaverage
27-09-2005, 00:22
i have a wireless network running, but some one keeps taking all the bandwidth i was wondering is there any way i can stop her using p2p on my router which she didnt buy which she refuses to contribute too

cheeers guys and girls

SMHarman
27-09-2005, 00:37
i have a wireless network running, but some one keeps taking all the bandwidth i was wondering is there any way i can stop her using p2p on my router which she didnt buy which she refuses to contribute too

cheeers guys and girls:welcome: make and model of router plz

Ive brought a laptop and want to connect it up to the net wirelessly.

At the moment its like this

NTL BOX > Linksys 4-port router > my pc
my sisters pc
my xbox
my laptop

I want to make my laptop wireless so I understand I need to buy a PCMIA (think thats it?) card to put inside my laptop.

Now this bit confuse's me, what do i need to buy to connect it to the net? a router or a access point.

My understanding is the access point plugs into the exsisting router and that access points works with my laptop.

Am I correct
If so, can someone reconmend a good bit of kit?

CheersYou just need an access point, but the cost differential means it may be better and easier to manage to buy a wirless (including wired) router instead and replace the current router.

The WRT54G from the same linksys would be a direct swapin and would then provide the 4 lan ports and a wireless lan
EDIT
WRT54G (router and access point combined) £40.88 from amazon
WAP54G (access point) £44.06 from amazon

So it is cheaper to buy a new combined product - go figure, sell the current one on ebay!

danielf
27-09-2005, 00:44
<snip>

You just need an access point, but the cost differential means it may be better and easier to manage to buy a wirless (including wired) router instead and replace the current router.

The WRT54G from the same linksys would be a direct swapin and would then provide the 4 lan ports and a wireless lan

SMHarman: have you seen the date on the original post? :)

Still, good advice :tu:

SMHarman
27-09-2005, 00:45
SMHarman: have you seen the date on the original post? :)

Still, good advice:tu:
Time for bed me thinks, or perhaps a judicial edit of my post. These noobs that read the welcome mail search and then post.

SMHarman
27-09-2005, 12:03

cheeers guys and girls
Are you on the latest firmware?
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834gv2.asp
Looks like it does not support Quality of Service (QoS) so you cannot prioritise (or deprioritise) traffic from a port, mac address or client.

You would need to replace the router with something like the Linksys WRT54G which has this functionality.