PDA

View Full Version : Interactive

th'engineer
27-06-2003, 16:19
Can anyone think what interactive should mean.

if so can they tell NTL what do you think it should do

matty4donna
27-06-2003, 16:32
Interactive should mean being able to take part in TV gameshows etc..

Also should mean being able to watch whatever sporting events are available with various different camera options etc...

Currently i think ntl: are trying hard to provide these facilities and the ones they do provide are quite good.

th'engineer
27-06-2003, 16:33
Should it work all the time

matty4donna
27-06-2003, 16:41
Originally posted by th'engineer
Should it work all the time Mine works all the time. :)

th'engineer
27-06-2003, 16:46
it does not freeze or lock up the box which STB:confused:

matty4donna
27-06-2003, 16:50
Pace 1000 never really had any problems, had only a few freezes in 4 or 5 years! :)

Jamie
27-06-2003, 16:53
Originally posted by matty4donna
Mine works all the time. :)
So you will be promoting the wondefull interactive service on your new site from next tuesday will you:rolleyes::D

matty4donna
27-06-2003, 16:57
Well i cant really see whats wrong with my ntl: interactive service. I mean it works fine, i have very fast access to 5 screens for Wimbledon as well as many more interactive features. Id say that it has vastly improved over what it was as little as three months ago!

Just because you may be having problems with your interactive service does not mean everyone is having problems does it?

ian@huth
27-06-2003, 16:59
My interactive works perfectly and is as good as Sky interactive and has all the features that Sky interactive has.

Ooops, sorry about that, was looking at my Sky system.

Now for the NTL interactive then. Press red button, wait, wait, wait, reset box, try again, reset box.

Is there a NTL interactive system?

Shaun
27-06-2003, 17:00
Originally posted by matty4donna
Well i cant really see whats wrong with my ntl: interactive service. I mean it works fine, i have very fast access to 5 screens for Wimbledon as well as many more interactive features. Id say that it has vastly improved over what it was as little as three months ago!

Just because you may be having problems with your interactive service does not mean everyone is having problems does it?

Personally I'd like the chance to have problems, must be nice for people like you on the bromley platform!!
Here on the "other net" we have a couple of HTML pages that crash the box every time it loads, and I have a 4010 box!!!:rolleyes:

matty4donna
27-06-2003, 17:03
I was giving a personal opinion on the service, not an opinion of everyone on both networks. If you only want to **** off ntl for thier attempts at an interactive service ill bow out of this thread but i was merely defending ntl as they meet my own personal expectations. :)

Bill Payer
27-06-2003, 18:07
Interactive means getting yer arse up off the chair to walk over to the STB to unplug it,wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.
Can't be simpler.

Jamie
27-06-2003, 23:41
Originally posted by Bill Payer
Interactive means getting yer arse up off the chair to walk over to the STB to unplug it,wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.
Can't be simpler.
That's definately interacting with your tv - or is it interacting with your plug socket:p Either way this crap game has been going on for long enough. Sky have a briliant interactive service - I know because I've got Sky as well but NTL are just shit. Will they ever have a decent interactive service - yes when hell freezes over and they listen to what customers want instead of throwing us a shit service and expecting us to like it or lump it.

Tristan
28-06-2003, 00:17
Right. NTL offer a far better interactive service than Sky -- that is, being able to send info both ways. With NTL, this is almost always free, as opposed to being a premium rate phone call on Sky.

Where Sky lead the way by miles, however, is in enhanced TV, the 'red button' content.

As to Jamie's comment about NTL listening to what their customers want, they know very well that people want e-TV. Unfortunately for them, only half the network supports it. Now I'm sure they're leaning on the programmers as much as possible to get Langley CR3 done, but in the mean time, what are they to do?

They can either enable it for Bromley, and have Langley customers complain because they don't have what the other half do, or not enable it at all and have Bromley people complain because their software supports it, and NTL choose not to enable it. Either way, they are going to get complains. What would you do?

th'engineer
28-06-2003, 15:59
Been using today for the tennis reboot needed

Gogogo
28-06-2003, 17:16
Originally posted by Tristan
Right. NTL offer a far better interactive service than Sky -- that is, being able to send info both ways. With NTL, this is almost always free, as opposed to being a premium rate phone call on Sky.

As to Jamie's comment about NTL listening to what their customers want, they know very well that people want e-TV. Unfortunately for them, only half the network supports it. Now I'm sure they're leaning on the programmers as much as possible to get Langley CR3 done, but in the mean time, what are they to do?

Yeah, we exCWCers, exVideotroners don't have the benefit of enhanced/interactive TV. Very impressed with Freeview interactive though on Wimbledon, very good, doesn't present a problem to Freeview so why is it problem for ntl? Freeview is free whilst ntl take the money and run to the bank.

:wavey:

Stuart
28-06-2003, 18:12
Originally posted by Gogogo
Yeah, we exCWCers, exVideotroners don't have the benefit of enhanced/interactive TV. Very impressed with Freeview interactive though on Wimbledon, very good, doesn't present a problem to Freeview so why is it problem for ntl? Freeview is free whilst ntl take the money and run to the bank.

:wavey:

Freeview don't have to maintain a cable network that, in places, is in a sh*t condition.

They also don't have a network that uses various different technologies and platforms for DTV.

NTL are trying to bring Enhanced TV (I hate the term Interactive, as I don't think even Sky offer truly interactive TV) to all their users, but before they do that, they need to change the network so that all areas are operating with at least compatible software (even if it isn't the same software).

All the NTL interactive stuff is based on a product called Liberate.

They need to use at least Liberate 1.2 for the multi-screen stuff to work, and CR3 is the only software they have that is based on Liberate 1.2. The original NTL software (and CR1 and CR2) are based on an older version of Liberate.

ppolo99
30-06-2003, 18:29
ntl: is so interactive...... i mean to reset the STB, alls you do is press the red button...............its so clever :p

Tod
01-07-2003, 17:22
NTL have been promising enhanced TV sinse the world cup. They have squirmed, lied and fed us with bull about it "coming soon" for a long time now.

As a customer I really don't care about their cableing problems, I just want to be able to subscribe to a service that suits my needs as a viewer. NTL have been promising and telling me "soon" for a long time - I am fed up with them fobbing me off. We have been told it should be before the year out - but whats the betting that this goes on well into next year?! Every other time someone at NTL says I will be getting enhanced viewing it has been untrue.

Whats more annoying is that the present level of software for original NTL customers does offer enhanced viewing, it's just NTL loose a bit of control - so politics over customer welfare - what a surprise!

Tristan
01-07-2003, 17:39
Originally posted by Tod
Whats more annoying is that the present level of software for original NTL customers does offer enhanced viewing, it's just NTL loose a bit of control - so politics over customer welfare - what a surprise!

I'm not quite sure where this comes from.

Under Liberate 1.1, use of the tv: protocol is limited to NTL and trusted thrid parties, that's true. But this isn't all that's required for e-TV.

Liberate 1.1 can't do screen overlays nearly as well as 1.2, and most importantly of all, doesn't use data carousels like 1.2 does.

In short, while it might technically be possible to make an application using 1.1 which can change the stream being viewed, it would be nowhere near as good as the Liberate 1.2 version. For example, the 5-screen selection window for Wimbledon is a definite no-go. And that's if you realised it was there at all -- it's not possible to overlay a red-button prompt with Liberate 1.1 (or at least NTL's implementation of it).

poolking
01-07-2003, 17:39
Its down to £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£s in the end, if NTL don't have the money to invest in decent interactive services there is nothing that can be done at the moment.

In hindsight maybe NTL shouldn't have been greedy and bought up franchises without thinking whether the different platforms are comaptible with each other and whether they'll have enough money left over, as we all now know they well over extended themselves.