PDA

View Full Version : Premiership reveals results of first-round footy rights bidding

Chris
28-04-2006, 11:00
Sky will only get three of the six football packages up for sale by the Premiership:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4953846.stm

There will now be a second round of bidding for the other three packages, with Setanta, NTL, BT and ITV tipped to take part.

Druchii
28-04-2006, 11:03
Sky will only get three of the six football packages up for sale by the Premiership: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4953846.stm There will now be a second round of bidding for the other three packages, with Setanta, NTL, BT and ITV tipped to take part. And finally the monopoly is over, i used to get a little sick of most of the footie being on Sky... Actually, i have no reason to complain now anyway, not even got sky.

Woops.

Damien
28-04-2006, 11:11
Errrr. Sky can have up to 5 of the 6 packages. They can bid for them in the next round.

gazzae
28-04-2006, 11:16
Chances are that Sky will get 5 and Setanta the other one. Which is great for the consumer as its means more money on subscriptions. Thanks European Commision.

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Also it's not next season, its the season after.

Chris
28-04-2006, 11:19
ok already ... thread title edited. :p:

sir_drinks_alot
28-04-2006, 11:32
I for one i'm happy sky got the right indeed i hope thay get more. thay have been nothing but good for football in this Country. :)

Mal
28-04-2006, 12:19
On one hand it gets rid of the monopoly, but then it possibly means another channel to subscribe to...more cost...

Damien
28-04-2006, 12:34
I for one i'm happy sky got the right indeed i hope thay get more. thay have been nothing but good for football in this Country. :)

So true. It is good quality on Sky. The commentry and anaysis is good compared to ITV which I think is pretty poor on all fronts. Although I like the BBC.

BBC and Sky should get the rights.

Sky do cool montages to music at the end of the match (or at least they did) which is always cool. Are they still there

gazzae
28-04-2006, 12:37

So true. Champions league on ITV is pitiful. Commentators who can't pronounce the names of players. Five is woeful first John "Autocue" Barnes and now Colin Murray. BBC is a bit better but still poor. Sample analysis on BBC after a player has blasted the ball over the stand - "He'll be disappointed with that."

homealone
28-04-2006, 12:45

I don't agree, in my opinion the gulf between the Premiership & the lower divisions is now far too great, the top clubs field too many foreign players and the pressure to win at all cost means players spend more time cheating & diving, than playing the ball. :shrug:

skyblueheroes
28-04-2006, 12:47
Sorry but Sky have dragged up football by its collar from the state it was in during the 80's. From 92 when they started the contract its become a glamarous and exciting sport to watch which is awash with money and investment.

However, I do feel that the money is aimed too much at the Premiership and not enough of it is filtered down to the lower leagues.

gazzae
28-04-2006, 12:53
I don't agree, in my opinion the gulf between the Premiership & the lower divisions is now far too great, the top clubs field too many foreign players and the pressure to win at all cost means players spend more time cheating & diving, than playing the ball. :shrug:

Wigan and West Ham are 9th and 10th, OK Sunderland are pretty crap, but they didn't spend any money.

Cheating and diving happens in every league, even amateur.

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

However, I do feel that the money is aimed too much at the Premiership and not enough of it is filtered down to the lower leagues.

I agree, but that is not Sky's fault. The blame for that lies solely at the FA's lack of Balls.

danielf
28-04-2006, 12:57
I agree, but that is not Sky's fault. The blame for that lies solely at the FA's lack of Balls.

AHEM

Damien
28-04-2006, 13:00
But the money in the english game is why we can get a lot of the players and managers from europe. Which has given a very nice free flowling type of football in the higher leagues

gazzae
28-04-2006, 13:01
AHEM

:confused:

homealone
28-04-2006, 13:13
Sorry but Sky have dragged up football by its collar from the state it was in during the 80's. From 92 when they started the contract its become a glamarous and exciting sport to watch which is awash with money and investment.

I know it is down to personal preference, so this is expressing my opinion, rather than disagreeing with yours, as such, but I honestly don't find it 'glamourous and exiting'. I find it is full of spoilt, petulant, overpaid, so-called 'sportsmen' who's last thought in the world is sportsmanship. I watched the womens cup final, last year & they were shrugging off knocks that would have premiership players rolling on the ground for half an hour.

As for 'money & investment' - is that why it costs £60 to go & watch Chelsea? I seem to recall they started advertising, recently, as the gates were falling ....

I'm glad we agree about the lower divisions :tu:

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Wigan and West Ham are 9th and 10th, OK Sunderland are pretty crap, but they didn't spend any money.

Cheating and diving happens in every league, even amateur.

West Ham are a good example - they always have had a reputation for developing their own talent, rather than buying it in.

It is only my impression, of course, but there seems to be more cheating & diving in the top flight, where the pressure to win is immense.

However, if I am honest, my gripe with Sky Sport is more about now having to pay for what we used to get 'free' :D

gazzae
28-04-2006, 13:26
West Ham are a good example - they always have had a reputation for developing their own talent, rather than buying it in.

It is only my impression, of course, but there seems to be more cheating & diving in the top flight, where the pressure to win is immense.

However, if I am honest, my gripe with Sky Sport is more about now having to pay for what we used to get 'free' :D

Depends what you class as cheating. Claiming a throw-in when you know the ball came off you, deliberately fouling someone, giving someone a dig when the refs not looking? These happen in all leagues.

As for diving I've seen it in the league I used to play in, maybe it doesn't happen as much as in the top flight, but then in the top flight you don't usually get 14 angry men waiting for said diver outside the changing room.

homealone
28-04-2006, 13:52
Depends what you class as cheating. <snip>

14 angry men waiting for said diver outside the changing room.

well fielding 14 man teams sounds like cheating, for a start :D

gazzae
28-04-2006, 13:59
well fielding 14 man teams sounds like cheating, for a start :D

:D

Yeah the subs like a good fight as well. That's partly why I quit that league, too many fights and people with grudges going out to injury people.