View Full Version : Police in 2006

Louise_Jones
27-04-2006, 22:23
Why do we need the Police?

As many reasons as possible please.

Thanks

Russ
27-04-2006, 22:26
To investigate crime and track down criminals.

Is this a trick question?

Louise_Jones
27-04-2006, 22:27
Nope, keep the coming please.

Educate the public, prevent crime, enforce the laws etc.

Thank You

Russ
27-04-2006, 22:28
Are we doing your homework for you again?

Florence
27-04-2006, 22:29
To enforce the countries laws,
Control protests
Stop robberies with more officers on the areas
Catch those who break the law
Protect the people who are vulnerable

Louise_Jones
27-04-2006, 22:29
I am just asking for some reasons, I will give credit to Cable Forum in my bibliography.

It is to see how I research. Thank You

danielf
27-04-2006, 22:50
It's due tomorrow isn't it?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=46540

Louise_Jones
27-04-2006, 22:52
Nope

MovedGoalPosts
27-04-2006, 23:16
Why do we need police?

To support the wishes of society.

When something goes wrong even those on the wrong side of the law will frequently look to police for assistance. It's interesting how the police swear allegiance to the Queen, rather than government, in that they are there to uphold what society expects rather than being a direct tool of the government.

Florence
27-04-2006, 23:31
To be the governments puppets and do their bidding

Angua
27-04-2006, 23:52
To ensure behaviour the rest of society deems important is adhered to or discouraged as appropriate.

Or as some would have it to change a light bulb. :D

MovedGoalPosts
28-04-2006, 00:38
To be the governments puppets and do their bidding

Strikes me as a very blunt analysis. The Police do have to work within the legislative environment that the government sets, but since the government is elected by the people and thus society do not the police provide the support that society desires?

Salu
28-04-2006, 09:57

Thanks

To provide us with quality musical entertainment. ;)

Taf
28-04-2006, 10:22
To officially ignore the laws of the land until told to "do a purge" for statistical reasons.

To wear out vehicles quickly by cruising around and around and around doing nothing.

To look daft for the tourists in 19th century headgear.

basa
28-04-2006, 10:24
To instill fear, feelings of guilt and trepidation in the innocent population. :rolleyes:

Jules
28-04-2006, 10:39
Eye candy for people that like uniforms? I am sorry but it seems obvious to me why we need the police

Chris
28-04-2006, 11:02

Thanks
Tell you what, we'll answer your questions if you'll return the favour and tell us about Big Dave's prospective girlfriend. I assume you must have met her by now?

Go and post your observations in his thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=732266#post732266

Shaun
28-04-2006, 11:39
Can we open a soda bar and cafe in the corner please? All these kids can go there and do their bloody homework then. :mad:

*goes off to annoyed elsewhere.

Chris
28-04-2006, 11:45
Can we open a soda bar and cafe in the corner please? All these kids can go there and do their bloody homework then. :mad:

*goes off to annoyed elsewhere.

Maybe we should re-name the Basement, 'Arnold's'. :D

Maggy
28-04-2006, 15:45
To stand between the lawless and the lawful.To protect the innocent and catch the guilty.To maintain peace,law and order in society.To try and PREVENT criminal activities

To stand outside Number 10.To give correct time and directions.Direct traffic.Attend major accidents and incidents and support(and sometimes protect) the other agencies that have to attend such incidents ie,ambulance crews and firefighters.To try and second guess criminals and terrorists.To offer sympathy to victims and a calm professional manner when dealing with accused people.To return lost and stolen property.To give out the relevant ticket number so that victims of muggings,burglery and stealing can get their insurance claims dealt with speedily.

Basically they have to confront what the average citizen hopes never to have to deal with personally.

BBKing
28-04-2006, 16:22
Basic reason is so we the public don't have to enforce the law ourselves, we have professionals who are better at it. Otherwise you'd have to read up on the law, track down burglars yourself and enforce your own justice, which is fine if you're 17 stone, seven foot tall, fit as hell and have time on your hands but not if you're 82 years old and infirm. Having coppers around levels the playing field.

So they save you time and effort and stop you having to put yourself at risk. Sounds fair enough to me.

Alternatively, to send me nice notes every few weeks assuring me they're still looking into a hit-and-run on my car back in February, long after the insurance company has tracked the other driver down and got him to admit it, thus preserving my No Claims...

timewarrior2001
28-04-2006, 20:48
well who else is going to beat the living hell out of ethnic minorities?

Who else is going to charge at women and children on horse back?

Who else is going to stand by idly whilst old folks are mugged?

Who else could turn up days later after you reported a burglary? I mean we wouldnt WANT to CATCH any burglars, its bound to be against some human right isnt it?

So what do we need the police for?
Someone gotta change the film in the zillions of speed cameras
Someones gotta appear on TV appealing forwitness on next months crimewatch
and I guess the Police can always arrest the person defending their own property instead of the dirty little scrotes who tried to steal it.

Maggy
28-04-2006, 23:43
well who else is going to beat the living hell out of ethnic minorities?

Who else is going to charge at women and children on horse back?

Who else is going to stand by idly whilst old folks are mugged?

Who else could turn up days later after you reported a burglary? I mean we wouldnt WANT to CATCH any burglars, its bound to be against some human right isnt it?

So what do we need the police for?
Someone gotta change the film in the zillions of speed cameras
Someones gotta appear on TV appealing forwitness on next months crimewatch
and I guess the Police can always arrest the person defending their own property instead of the dirty little scrotes who tried to steal it.

Not one of those issues have I seen personally.In fact the reverse.I've been treated with respect whenever I've been in contact with the police.Possibly because I don't get into confrontational situations with them.Even when I was guilty of law breaking(I'd forgotten to display my tax disc on my car) they were very polite and respectful.Where I've been a victim of crime they have done their best and got results.The scrotes that beat up my husband were caught,arrested,charged,prosecuted and found guilty.I got my property back when my handbag was stolen..well most of it...and someone was charged with handling stolen goods and went to prison.And going back about ten years the police in London were great when my purse was stolen.They also got the scrote who did that as well.

Ok they didn't get the vandals that pushed over my wall but you can't win every time.:)

Seti
29-04-2006, 04:18
Um why didnt' you do a google search ? Come to think of it why didn't anyone watch Channel 4 last night and see the police playing hide and seek in their police cars ?

Anyway here's a good link for a national police force.

http://www.yougov.com/interactive/humphrysMain.asp?aId=2533&jID=3&sID=5&pID=&wId=0&UID=

AndrewJ
30-04-2006, 02:53
To keep nugget in check

me283
30-04-2006, 08:49
Not one of those issues have I seen personally.In fact the reverse.I've been treated with respect whenever I've been in contact with the police.Possibly because I don't get into confrontational situations with them.Even when I was guilty of law breaking(I'd forgotten to display my tax disc on my car) they were very polite and respectful.Where I've been a victim of crime they have done their best and got results.The scrotes that beat up my husband were caught,arrested,charged,prosecuted and found guilty.I got my property back when my handbag was stolen..well most of it...and someone was charged with handling stolen goods and went to prison.And going back about ten years the police in London were great when my purse was stolen.They also got the scrote who did that as well.

Ok they didn't get the vandals that pushed over my wall but you can't win every time.:)

I would suggest that you have been very lucky in your dealings with them, Coggy. But then again, you are talking 10 years ago, and a lot has changed.

My take is this: we need the police to enforce the law of the land and to ensure that those who breach it are brought to book. That's what we need them for, but that's not what we get.

I had an interesting dealing with the police a while back. Think I'll go start a new thread...:mad:

Nidge
30-04-2006, 10:35

Thanks

To keep processing the £60 they keep getting from us.

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Um why didnt' you do a google search ? Come to think of it why didn't anyone watch Channel 4 last night and see the police playing hide and seek in their police cars ?

Anyway here's a good link for a national police force.

http://www.yougov.com/interactive/humphrysMain.asp?aId=2533&jID=3&sID=5&pID=&wId=0&UID=

A lad I know used to be a copper and the things he told me that went on are just unreal, on nights they all used to go down the local woods and turn their lights off and go to sleep,:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: they all used to take it in turns to listen to the radio to see if the helcopter was out and about. Thats the police force nowdays.

Maggy
30-04-2006, 12:50

I would suggest that you have been very lucky in your dealings with them, Coggy. But then again, you are talking 10 years ago, and a lot has changed.

My take is this: we need the police to enforce the law of the land and to ensure that those who breach it are brought to book. That's what we need them for, but that's not what we get.

I had an interesting dealing with the police a while back. Think I'll go start a new thread...:mad:

Only in one incident am I talking ten years ago.The recent incidents were my handbag in 2004 and my husband's assault in the last 8 months.I believe that I am the norm in this case.It's just that you hear about bad news more than you hear about good news.I suspect that the number of police cases that are dealt with efficiently are much higher and are just not brought so efficiently to the notice of the public as those cases that spectacularly fail.

Yes they are not perfect and there are bad apples among them.However the majority are not like The Bill and are decent,hardworking men and women doing their best like every other profession and occupation to do the best job they can with the resources that they have.People who in the main only have a long stick or a can of mace against folk who may well be armed with knives and guns.Thankfully there are people who do want to do the job.I don't.:)

me283
30-04-2006, 13:16
Only in one incident am I talking ten years ago.The recent incidents were my handbag in 2004 and my husband's assault in the last 8 months.I believe that I am the norm in this case.It's just that you hear about bad news more than you hear about good news.I suspect that the number of police cases that are dealt with efficiently are much higher and are just not brought so efficiently to the notice of the public as those cases that spectacularly fail.

Yes they are not perfect and there are bad apples among them.However the majority are not like The Bill and are decent,hardworking men and women doing their best like every other profession and occupation to do the best job they can with the resources that they have.People who in the main only have a long stick or a can of mace against folk who may well be armed with knives and guns.Thankfully there are people who do want to do the job.I don't.:)

I actually agree with you. In spite of the bad experiences, I see a lot of good coppers around. The main problem, once you weed out the bad ones, is the amount of red tape they have to work with; then, their hard work is invariably let down by the courts.

Interesting point though: I chatted to a copper recently, and mentioned the CS gas and baton. He told me that in 12 years of police work he had never had to use such weapons, even in self-defence. The reason? Not efficiency on his part, and not a lack of need. No, it was fear. As he said, "If I use them, I will more than likely be suspended for 18 months whilst they investigate me, because someone is bound to end up hurt". I really felt for the guy.

It's a cr*p job, and I admire most that do it. Sometimes I think the job would suit me... but then it dawns on me that I really couldn't do the job under such conditions.

Louise_Jones
30-04-2006, 20:32
Is the Police a government organisation?

What is the relationship between the governement and the police force?

Derek
30-04-2006, 20:37
Interesting point though: I chatted to a copper recently, and mentioned the CS gas and baton. He told me that in 12 years of police work he had never had to use such weapons, even in self-defence. The reason? Not efficiency on his part, and not a lack of need. No, it was fear. As he said, "If I use them, I will more than likely be suspended for 18 months whilst they investigate me, because someone is bound to end up hurt".

Thats not too uncommon. Most coppers will try pretty much anything to talk their way out of situations to avoid having to use batons/CS. Their use is more the exception rather than the rule.

Even if you do have to draw a baton or get the CS ready for use most people will calm down when they hear the baton getting extended.

Not least because of the cross contamination from CS and the paperwork involved after using that or the baton is horrendous.

Chris
02-05-2006, 10:53
Is the Police a government organisation?

What is the relationship between the governement and the police force?

Do you really think you're going to get people to write an essay for you?

This is a discussion forum. We're here to exchange ideas, not answer your quickfire questions. Try engaging with the debate instead of treating us like your personal homework service and you might get a more helpful response.

Nugget
02-05-2006, 11:27
To keep nugget in check

Oi!!!

:bsmack: