PDA

View Full Version : Merged-Frustratingly frustrated!!!!

Tracy
28-11-2003, 14:22
Hi peeps - glad I found you, only if having the chance to rant here!! Excuse me if I am in the wrong part of the forum, its just I couldnt find a section on how to cope with the frustration of dealing with an incompetent co. like ntl!!!
Will try to reiterate this as basically as poss, but it is a long story:
Got into financial difficulties in March of this year so to maintain control of what little money I had, I cancelled all my direct debits, inc ntl, and informed each company that I would be paying by cheque each month from now on. Had no address to contact NTL so used their online enquiry service. Had no response so didnt know if they were even aware that I had cancelled d/d. Sent them 3 emails asking for an address to send the monthly cheques but had no response. After 3 months (and an obvious accumulation of arrears in the process!), got a phone call about my arrears from NTL and explained that I didnt have any idea where to send monies. They wouldnt accept cheques and insisted on another d/d being set up - they demanded a large amount each month to pay off the arrears and I declined saying it wasnt fair that I should be penalised for their ignoring of my emails to them. We agreed an amount to pay back on the arrears and a d/d was set up. 10 days before the d/d was to go out I received an email telling me that they were going to take the full amount out (nearly £200) in one go! I panicked and attempted to ring the customer services but couldnt get through as the line was constantly engaged. I was then forced to send a letter to the one address I had for NTL (their registered office in Hampshire), explaining that I had a verbal and written agreement with NTL that instalments are being paid via d/d each month and that taking the whole amount out is a breach of the agreement. I had no response. I sent another letter in that 10 days and again no response. I was then forced to cancel the d/d cos I was scared they would actually take the full amount out, as the email had informed me. On the day the d/d should have come out I had 5 emails asking why I had cancelled my d/d!!! I again tried contacting the customer service line and again line was constantly engaged. Wrote another letter to the Hampshire offices explaining reasons for cancelling d/d this time and again no response. Wrote another letter and stated I would send a monthly cheque for the agreed amount to said Hampshire offices until arrears are paid up. Again, no response and because of this, didnt even know if my cheques would be received and cashed by NTL. Anyway, on checking my bank balance, the monthly cheques are being cashed, but to date, NO response from NTL whatsoever. A month ago, I received a disconnection notice for not keeping to the agreement! I then made a complaint to NTL via their complaints procedure online. Got a letter from the Swansea payment centre, apologising for the mistake but said as they arent aware of any correspondence sent to them, there is nothing they can do! I had to reiterate in another letter to Swansea that in my complaint I had explained that all correspondence and monies had gone to the Hampshire offices and if they cared to contact said offices, the dilemma would become clear. This letter was ignored, I had no response. Rang customer services and actually got to speak to somebody who didnt want to know about my problems, they just wanted proof that I had been paying monies. I asked them to contact the Hampshire offices and was told its not their place or procedure to ring the registered office and that I am to obtain proof from my bank that I had indeed been sending cheques. With that I contacted the ombudsman who are now in the process of dealing with my complaint. In the meantime, I have received a debt enforcement notice and on talking to the ombudsman they have informed me that when NTL joined the ombudsman body, NTL stipulated from the start that throughout any ongoing investigation or complaints, customers MUST continue paying bills and or arrears and because of this I should do what NTL want and send copies of the cheques to Swansea as proof that I am sending monies each month. Its as if NTL call all the shots! I have sent copies (costing me £10 in the process) and await a response from Swansea or the ombudsman. I am convinced that NTL are stalling for time until they bleed every single penny owed to them from me. I havent had any acknowledgement of receipt of the copies sent to Swansea and even the ombudsman havent contacted me for nearly 4 weeks!! I really dont know whats going on! Its crazy, absolutely crazy!!!!! I have spent money on postage/stationery for numerous letters to the Hampshire and Swansea offices, been charged £10 by my bank for cheque copies and the complete and blatant ignorance of NTL has caused me some stress - just through the sheer frustration of their imcomptence and rudeness towards me. What do ya do, huh?
Has anyone else gone through this, and if so, what was the outcome? I dont know if they will compensate me in any way, or credit my arrears for the copied cheques, or what?
Tracy :grind:

trebor
28-11-2003, 14:42
you have far more patience than me, I would have canceled the account ages ago and told them where to go for there money.
on the whole it sounds just like NTL and I don't think there is much you can do about it except cancel. when you ring to cancel your service you may find a more helpful cooperative ntl on the other end of the phone ;)

Sociable
28-11-2003, 14:54
Hi Tracy and welcome to NTHell

Sounds like you have been in your own version of hell for a while now so sorry its something like this that brought you here.

I do a lot of debt counselling for people and one compromise that has worked for some has been to suggest to the company that the arrears are treated seperately from the ongoing charges.

You would set up a seperate standing order to cover the agreed instalments to clear the arrears and they would make use of a Direct Debit to ensure current charges are payed correctly and on time.

This could provide a way forward that might be acceptable to NTL although I suspect it may help to get C.A.B. involved to negotiate that idea with NTL given your ongoing dispute about how they handled the situation till now.

As for getting compensation etc I suspect you have very little chance given the debt is owed to NTL and the costs involved in sorting it out will be down to you. That said it is always worth asking just in case they say yes.

Hope this idea helps and wish you well in reaching a workable solution to this problem.

btw Hang in there we have all run into cashflow problems at least once but most of us eventually bounce back and I'm sure you will too.

Mark W
28-11-2003, 14:56
i have passed that post onto the customer develmpment team here at work - they are going to find the best person to personally deal with this.

could you please PM me your personal details - account number, telephone number etc and - as far as i can - i promise someone will get in touch with you about it :)

Sociable
28-11-2003, 15:00
i have passed that post onto the customer develmpment team here at work - they are going to find the best person to personally deal with this.

could you please PM me your personal details - account number, telephone number etc and - as far as i can - i promise someone will get in touch with you about it :)

If Tracy is agreeable maybe pass on my suggestion too as it may provide a way out for both sides on this one.

zovat
28-11-2003, 15:26

Tracy, I would say if Mark says he will get someone to contact you it is 99.9% certain that he will.
This site does not belong to NTL - but does have a number of NTL personnel as members..

keep with it, I think you have come to the right place to get this resolved :D
:ghugs:

Macready
28-11-2003, 15:56
Not being funny, but NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use any sort of online complaints system / email system for queries, always persevere and actually talk to a human being.

Surely though, despite not hearing anything off NTL you knew that you were still obliged to pay for the services that you were receiving as well, despite cancelling your direct debits, I myself dont pay my bills by direct debit and I receive a monthly bill that has complete payment details and a run down of how to pay, off that I ring up with and pay by Credit Card or I pay at a paypoint facility of the local corner shop. I dont get reading it how you got into arrears by any other way than simply not paying your bill.

I do apologise if I read that wrong but that didnt make for easy reading, thats just how I read that all.

ronald146m
28-11-2003, 16:10
Not being funny, but find an avatar of your own.
:grind:

Macready
28-11-2003, 16:54
Not being funny, but find an avatar of your own.
:grind:
:o :scratch: :mis:

Tracy
28-11-2003, 19:56
you have far more patience than me, I would have canceled the account ages ago and told them where to go for there money.
on the whole it sounds just like NTL and I don't think there is much you can do about it except cancel. when you ring to cancel your service you may find a more helpful cooperative ntl on the other end of the phone ;)

Thanks for the suggestion :) - did end up cancelling the account with them, by letter to the Hampshire offices - and guess what?? no response!

Tracy
28-11-2003, 20:00
Not being funny, but NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use any sort of online complaints system / email system for queries, always persevere and actually talk to a human being.

Surely though, despite not hearing anything off NTL you knew that you were still obliged to pay for the services that you were receiving as well, despite cancelling your direct debits, I myself dont pay my bills by direct debit and I receive a monthly bill that has complete payment details and a run down of how to pay, off that I ring up with and pay by Credit Card or I pay at a paypoint facility of the local corner shop. I dont get reading it how you got into arrears by any other way than simply not paying your bill.

I do apologise if I read that wrong but that didnt make for easy reading, thats just how I read that all.

Please read my original thread again - I think I explain myself quite concisely! I had genuine reasons for cancelling my original direct debit and well within my rights to do that anytime I want, for any reason. But to reiterate to you - all I wanted was an address to send a cheque to each month and it took NTL 3 months to contact me - I had no address to send monies too. I tried ringing the customer helpline but it was constantly engaged and the registered office have continued to ignore ALL correspondence. I can assure you this isnt for want of trying to pay the company but its their abominable customer service system that has caused this!

Tracy
28-11-2003, 20:06
You would set up a seperate standing order to cover the agreed instalments to clear the arrears and they would make use of a Direct Debit to ensure current charges are payed correctly and on time.

Hi Sociable - think I did the *quote* thing right and wont know til I have posted this :erm:

When I eventually got through to Customer Services to sort out continuous billing and the arrears that had accumulated due to now being able to communicate with anyone from NTL - I wanted a d/d for the continuous billing and offered to pay a cheque each month for the arrears but they wouldnt agree to that - they insisted I set up a direct debit and they would take the agreed amount out each month, plus the continuous billing - I wasnt offered any other compromise....

phew! this has been tiring..... not typing to you lot, I hasten to add LOL

Tracy
28-11-2003, 20:09

Hi Mark, I must admit when I read this post in my email, I got paranoid. A newbie here and obviously not fully trusting of anybody - yet! I find it difficult to divulge personal information to complete strangers - can you all persuade me that I am in the right place - you all sound pretty convincing and up front - just need a little bit more assurance - NTL have freaked me out in the way they operate :erm:

Thanks, Tracy

Mark W
28-11-2003, 20:49
Hi Mark, I must admit when I read this post in my email, I got paranoid. A newbie here and obviously not fully trusting of anybody - yet! I find it difficult to divulge personal information to complete strangers - can you all persuade me that I am in the right place - you all sound pretty convincing and up front - just need a little bit more assurance - NTL have freaked me out in the way they operate :erm:

Thanks, Tracy

lol...hmmm...how to prove myself.... :scratch: well, you can ask anyone on here - ive been here since the first day it was set up - i was on the ntl owned version helping out in an official capacity until they shut it down :dozey:

i DO work for ntl - in the technical support bureau in swansea to be exact, and have done for almost 2 years. OK, this is not an ntl sanctioned site but i try to help out where i can, as i hope the members on here will testafy to :)

if its any better, just pm me your ntl account number - if i wasnt from ntl i wouldnt be able to do much with that, but as i do, ill be able to find your ntl email addy, and drop you a line?

sorry i cant help directly but as i said, i work in tech support, and this is an issue that needs to be passed onto your local franchise.....

sorry ntl have freaked you out, tho i cant blame you from your experience - just have some faith that there are some at ntl who DO want to get things sorted asap :)

Bex
28-11-2003, 21:06
tracy, i know what you mean about being paranoid and i think it is wise not to just hand out your details, i've meet mark and yes he is genuine....he is trustworthy....:D

MovedGoalPosts
28-11-2003, 23:28

NTL's own terms and conditions state that email is an acceptable form of notice. Therefore they should be set up to receive and properly log it.

Online forms however are a problem as the sender never has a record of what they have submitted, unless the system is sophisitcated enough to send a copy with an acknowledgement mailing back to the sender, or alternatively the sender makes a screen shot copy or something.

However, talking to a human being provides you with no record at all of what was said. Perhaps the best option then is to speak to someone first then confirm that in writing (having spoken you know to who and where to send the mail). But if you can't get through to customer services .....

Tracy
29-11-2003, 00:16
But if you can't get through to customer services .....

Exactly!!!!............... Thanks for your input MGP :tu:

Macready
29-11-2003, 00:59
the only questions I asked related to the stuff in your post that I was unsure about, it is the fact that it seemed that you did not pay your bill meant you got in arrears and not truly a fault of NTLs as I saw it by what I read.

And did your monthly statement not have Payment Details and all of the "How to Pay" stuff on the back of it, as mine always comes with payment slips attached to the statement and on the back of it details how and where I can pay it. And thats only been noticed by me since I stopped paying by direct debit myself.

I am sorry if this post seems problem causing for yourself, its just my understanding of it now having read that a couple of times.

And I am glad to hear its being sorted out for you, as I know what a b*tch it can be when NTL goes wrong.

Welcome here btw :)

Frank
29-11-2003, 01:15
Hi Tracy.

I am very disappointed with ntl after hearing about your experience. I'm sure that the Managing Director of the Celtic region (Wales/Scot/NI) would like a chance to put this right for you. Should you not wish to provide your details to Mark W, who is a mod here, then you can e-mail directly to the MD at ian.jeffers@ntl.com. Good luck - you'll need it.

Tracy
29-11-2003, 10:53
the only questions I asked related to the stuff in your post that I was unsure about, it is the fact that it seemed that you did not pay your bill meant you got in arrears and not truly a fault of NTLs as I saw it by what I read.

And did your monthly statement not have Payment Details and all of the "How to Pay" stuff on the back of it, as mine always comes with payment slips attached to the statement and on the back of it details how and where I can pay it. And thats only been noticed by me since I stopped paying by direct debit myself.

I am sorry if this post seems problem causing for yourself, its just my understanding of it now having read that a couple of times.

And I am glad to hear its being sorted out for you, as I know what a b*tch it can be when NTL goes wrong.

Welcome here btw :)

Thanks for the welcome - ok, firstly, I wasnt in arrears when all this started - it was simply a case of I asked for an address to send monies to, and my request was ignored resulting in arrears developing. Secondly, I never had paperwork from NTL because I had always paid by direct debit for the last 5 years - since they started their one fee dial up service. No paperwork meant the only form of comms was through their online service but you try and find a contact ADDRESS there!!!

Anyway, you seem to be the only one who has miscontrued what I wrote in the original thread - I told you it was a rather long one! :shrug:

Tracy
29-11-2003, 10:55
Hi Tracy.

I am very disappointed with ntl after hearing about your experience. I'm sure that the Managing Director of the Celtic region (Wales/Scot/NI) would like a chance to put this right for you. Should you not wish to provide your details to Mark W, who is a mod here, then you can e-mail directly to the MD at ian.jeffers@ntl.com. Good luck - you'll need it.

Hi there, thanks for your support. I am in comms with Mark now and hoping (fingers, eyes and legs crossed!) that I can have closure on this soon. If, after speaking with somebody from NTL and having no closure, I will consider contacting the MD -thanks for the info :tu:

Tracy

Macready
29-11-2003, 11:35
Thanks for taking the time and clearing that up for me :)

I wasn't aware that you werent having a "Statement" off NTL each month, as you were paying by DD.

I would NEVER rely on email with NTL, as your probably aware from reading the forums, the phone support can be poor enough at times, and the Email is fraught with problems and complaints about its reliability as well.

I am glad that your having it resolved anyway. :)

zovat
01-12-2003, 23:18
Hi there, thanks for your support. I am in comms with Mark now and hoping (fingers, eyes and legs crossed!) that I can have closure on this soon. If, after speaking with somebody from NTL and having no closure, I will consider contacting the MD -thanks for the info :tu:

Tracy

Good luck - I hope it gets sorted out :)

Personally, even if it is resolved to your satisfaction I would send a mail to the MD informing him of what happened. (I hate poor service, and have a habit of writing/emailing the company with the end results, so that they can find out what they did wrong, and more importantly, what they eventually did right :D )

Tracy
02-12-2003, 23:03
Good luck - I hope it gets sorted out :)

Personally, even if it is resolved to your satisfaction I would send a mail to the MD informing him of what happened. (I hate poor service, and have a habit of writing/emailing the company with the end results, so that they can find out what they did wrong, and more importantly, what they eventually did right :D )

Well, found a message on the 1571 from NTL today asking us to call them back, so........ this is it, guys......... maybe........will let you know how it goes when I phone tomorrow - as long as they dont give me the spiel that they will only talk to the account holder -yes its in my partners name, but I am the one dealing with it all - so, no doubt, *that* will cause problems!!!!! Anyway, will see how it goes and let you all know.

Cheers,
Tracy :erm:

Tracy
03-12-2003, 13:39
Hi guys, left a message here yesterday in my original thread - got a phone call yesterday from NTL to ring them - rang the no. it was engaged for 1.5 hours. Tried later, got a voice message saying "all operators are busy, please leave a msg after the tone" - began leaving a message and got cut off! Tried again, and this time put in a queue with some nice music, got left there for 3 mins and then a voice message said "the no. you have dialled has not been recognised" - agggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

So, being told NTL will contact me and this will get resolved is a tactic to drive me even more crazier than I have become already!

Thanks alot :bigcry:
Tracy

Neil
03-12-2003, 13:49
Tracy-I would suggest that you ring the MD for your region (Ian Jeffers) on 02890 206110 to get this resolved.

Let us know how you get on.

Tracy
03-12-2003, 16:10
Tracy-I would suggest that you ring the MD for your region (Ian Jeffers) on 02890 206110 to get this resolved.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Neil, - will do! Just wondering why Otelo havent contacted me either.. um.... does make you think who is calling the shots here!!! <sigh>

Tracy
08-12-2003, 10:45
Hi, if you remember my original thread and my own private hell experienced with NTL, heres the update.
Otelo have responded, in writing, with NTL's defence. Basically, I was wrong to cancel my direct debit, I was wrong to accumulate arrears, I was wrong because they didnt respond to any of my pleas for help, I was wrong for not being able to get through to the helpline via telephone, I was wrong to send emails via their website cos they are incapable of responding, I was wrong to send correspondence to a registered office somewhere up in Hampshire cos they dont have anybody there who can read (but they can cash cheques for some inexplicable reason!), I am wrong for asking for a decent customer service who would actually apologise and fall over themselves to make it all alright, I was wrong to contact Otelo cos they have evidence that they did everything in their power to help me (??) but I ignored them and I was wrong to assume that NTL wouldnt connive to manipulate the whole damn process - after all, they have evidence they did everything in their power to resolve the situation but I dont! Oh, and dont they feel smug about it too..

Anyway, I have been offered a paltry settlement and 28 days in which to accept everything they have argued back. And, if I wasnt so stressed by the disgusting way in which NTL operate, I would argue my case. But whats the point - they have their thumbs so rammed up their own asses, it would be completely pointless.

Have emailed the MD for the celtic region (Mr. Ian Jeffers) and await a response. It was sent Friday and I may get a response, but then....... may be I wont. After all, his inbox must be brimming with acidic, ranting, abusive, bleating emails from lots more disgruntled and abused customers, surely??

Anyway, will wait accordingly for a satisfactory response from him and if not, is submission time to that godawful company called NTHelL, and allow them to have their wicked way with me! But at least I can hold my head up high and say, I had the strength to walk away with some integrity, unlike that incompetent company.

Tracy <-- still frustratingly frustrated :mad:

Neil
08-12-2003, 10:54
Tracy-I'm sorry (although not surprised) you are experiencing these problems.

If you don't hear from Ian Jeffers today (although having met him, & dealt with him on several occaisions I feel you will), I would suggest ringing him direct.

I have the phone number if you want it.

Alternatively-you could just do what I did, ditch ntl & get ADSL!

Tracy
08-12-2003, 13:26
Tracy-I'm sorry (although not surprised) you are experiencing these problems.

If you don't hear from Ian Jeffers today (although having met him, & dealt with him on several occaisions I feel you will), I would suggest ringing him direct.

I have the phone number if you want it.

Alternatively-you could just do what I did, ditch ntl & get ADSL!

Thanks for that, Neil - shame NTL cant be so gracious about things!

I cant ring Ian Jeffers, what with the mood I am in over all of this fiasco!

I was given the phone no. already but just cant bring myself to talk!

I did ditch NTL and awaiting ADSL, its coming soon....

Tracy ;)

Neil
08-12-2003, 13:34
Thanks for that, Neil - shame NTL cant be so gracious about things!

I cant ring Ian Jeffers, what with the mood I am in over all of this fiasco!

I was given the phone no. already but just cant bring myself to talk!

I did ditch NTL and awaiting ADSL, its coming soon....

Tracy ;)

Fair enough-out of interest, who are you getting your ADSL through?

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4697 ;)

Tracy
08-12-2003, 16:47
Fair enough-out of interest, who are you getting your ADSL through?

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4697 ;)

Hi Neil,

What a wonderfully helpful chap you are, you are!!!

Was thinking of Pipex actually,so will keep you informed, most definately - the info for ASDL is informative and supportive - um... couldnt you employ yourself at ntl and sort the gits out???? just joking, honest :erm:

Tracy