PDA

View Full Version : Availability Decisions

mckarnak
25-04-2006, 20:54
Can anyone tell me how NTL decide if they can carry out an installation or not?
I'm curious as to what procedure they work through...

On Sat, I placed an online order for 2Mb. The postcode checker said fine. I didn't think it would be much of a problem as I can walk about 50 yards from my house to an NTL manhole in the pavement just around the corner from me.

48 hours later, I decided to give them a call as I hadn't heard anything yet. Eventually got talking to someone, gave my details and they said they would call back. On returning call, I was told I couldn't have NTL as I wasn't in an NTL serviced area. I explained that they were just round the corner from me and I was asked for details. Was told again, definately not an NTL serviced area. Asked what the reason was, and I was told 'I don't know'. Fair enough, you can't expect someone on sales to know the nitty gritty of installs. Was told she would try and find out why and call me back. I don't expect to get that though...

So, is it just not financially viable for them? I am at the end of a cul-de-sac, and none of my neighbours nearby have NTL, so I guess it would mean digging down to me.

Anyone any insight? I'm stuck on a 512k ADSL otherwise :cry:
So why can BT make it to me and not NTL....
Ta.

Druchii
25-04-2006, 20:56
That is bad, you're not far from the cabled edge of that area then.

They can't simply extend to you as they don't have permission to do so. BT however did set out to get as high a coverage in the UK as possible.

janey2b
25-04-2006, 21:07
Mine is a new build semi on an old established fully cabled street. Next door have NTL but they have 'no budget' to put it in at mine! How bizzare is that?? :(

mckarnak
25-04-2006, 21:09
Permission as from the DoE? (in Northern Ireland). Does not having permission mean can't install yet, or can't install _at all_ ?

What may come into this is that the group of houses at the end of the cul-de-sac were built about 3 years ago. The road that we join is pre-existing. Is it just that the road I'm on is too young?

And just read the 2Mb to 4Mb announcement on NTHellworld. Just to rub salt into wounds :cry:

mckarnak
26-04-2006, 10:09
Well, got a little bit of possible movement. Spoke to sales again today and explained the situation. Apparently there is a 'construction limit' for my postcode...

So he's away to talk to the construction dept. to find out...

*crosses fingers*

Stuart
26-04-2006, 11:38
They can't simply extend to you as they don't have permission to do so. BT however did set out to get as high a coverage in the UK as possible.

IIRC, BT are *required* under the terms of their licence to offer a phone service to every house in England, Wales and possibly Scotland.

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Mine is a new build semi on an old established fully cabled street. Next door have NTL but they have 'no budget' to put it in at mine! How bizzare is that?? :(

No so bizarre. There could be a couple of reasons for this. First, to enable Cable at your house may require an awful lot of (expensive) work, especially if the cable has been there years. It may well be that your local construction department doesn't have enought money for this work.

Second, NTL have just merged with Telewest. It is standard procedure to limit budgets while two companies are merging, at least until the new company created can issue new budgets. I don't know if this is the case (it may not be), but it is one possible explanation.

mckarnak
26-04-2006, 13:11
The main reason i want to find out the 'construction limit' is that if it's just a budget issue, I know there's nothing I can do about it. If it's a permission issue, the details may be out of date...

A little background: the road that i live on is about 3 years old, but the road was only actually passed over to DOENI about a year ago...

mckarnak
27-04-2006, 20:53
Well, another day and no response from NTL :(

I don't suppose there would be any nice helpful NTL employees that fancy checking up on details for me?

Ta.

mckarnak
05-05-2006, 12:16
Well, after another couple of phone calls, the best response I can get is that it isn't a permission issue. It appears to be budget. I was told: "There hasn't been any cabling work done in your area in a few years, and none is planned either. Sorry"

So that's me stuck. I do have to wonder if demand is assessed though. What happens if everyone in my street rings asking can they get NTL? Are they each treated as a single install and deemed not worth it?

Oh well. Looks like my only option is ADSL Max then.....

janey2b
05-05-2006, 12:43
Well mine was a 'budget' issue and it seems that if you are willing to part with ready cash they will come and do it for you!

Nedkelly
05-05-2006, 18:16
;) keep trying some customers in this aera kept trying and they cabled up the rest of the street:)