PDA

View Full Version : Sky Hd

STONEISLAND
24-04-2006, 15:34
Not sure if this has been talked about before if so sorry. :disturbd:

http://www.sky.com/ordersky/equipment/skyhd/ (http://www.sky.com/ordersky/equipment/skyhd/)

I cannot believe how much it is going to be to have HD!!!! :afire: I'm quiet happy paying top $ for a TV, but to pay £299 for the box as well as £10 a month subscription is day light robbery!!!!!

It was not that long ago when I brought my Sky + box now there telling me in less than a year to get a new one for my HD TV. :mad:

:rant:

Does HD TV not work unless I have a box?
Anyone know how much NTLs box will be when it comes out?
Is it really worth the money for a better picture?

Is it just a massive RIP!!!!!!!???????

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

if your HD TV is freeview included how does that work with SKY?

Neil
24-04-2006, 16:07
I'm quiet happy paying top $ for a TV, but to pay £299 for the box as well as £10 a month subscription is day light robbery!!!!!

So why pay top $ for a TV then? :shrug:

It was not that long ago when I brought my Sky + box now there telling me in less than a year to get a new one for my HD TV. :mad:

:rant:

Does HD TV not work unless I have a box?

You need an HD capable receiver-Sky or Telewest.

Anyone know how much NTLs box will be when it comes out?

You need to ask in the TW HD forum. ;)

Is it really worth the money for a better picture?

Who knows until it's actually out?

If you haven;t seen a proper HD film/broadcast then you don't know what you're missing.

Is it just a massive RIP!!!!!!!???????

See above.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

It doesn't, it's totally seperate & won't receive an HD Freeview transmission.'

STONEISLAND
24-04-2006, 16:16
Who knows until it's actually out?

If you haven;t seen a proper HD film/broadcast then you don't know what you're missing.

Does anyone? Just seems loads of money for a better picture? Is it really worth it?

Stuart
24-04-2006, 16:25

I have to admit, the first time I saw HDTV (a couple of years ago), I was not too impressed. Admittedly, the fact it was Robbie Williams in concert probably didn't help. but the image just wasn't as sharp as I expected. It was good, and much better than Standard Definition.

BTW, it *should* have been excellent quality, I was watching it at the Broadcast show, and was on a stand upon which Sony were trying to demonstrate (and sell) High Definition cameras and editing equipment.

It doesn't, it's totally seperate & won't receive an HD Freeview transmission.'

And, I don't think HD Freeview will be around for a good few years. Last I heard, the BBC were saying they may need to wait until the Analogue transmissions are switched off.

Neil
24-04-2006, 16:31
Does anyone? Just seems loads of money for a better picture? Is it really worth it?

Without a doubt.

Why did you spend so much money on a TV-did you get an improved picture (no)?

You won't fail to notice the difference with HD IMO.

Chris
24-04-2006, 16:35
And, I don't think HD Freeview will be around for a good few years. Last I heard, the BBC were saying they may need to wait until the Analogue transmissions are switched off.

I heard that too. There isn't enough bandwidth on Freeview for HD. They will need some extra frequencies to work with, or else some channels will have to go.

I expect this will be a rude surprise for the Government. I bet they were thinking they could just sell off the analogue frequencies once they are no longer being used. I wonder if anyone has explained to them that if they want the UK to have an up-to-date TV service they are going to have to turn the analogue frequencies over to Freeview to use for HD services? :rofl:

STONEISLAND
24-04-2006, 16:42
Without a doubt.

Why did you spend so much money on a TV-did you get an improved picture (no)?

You won't fail to notice the difference with HD IMO.

You have sold it to me. :)

Its a lot of money though. :(

Neil
24-04-2006, 18:28
You have sold it to me. :)

Its a lot of money though. :(

It is, but not in comparison to your TV. ;)

Firstly-what model TV do you have, & is it actually "HD Ready"?

TheBlueRaja
24-04-2006, 19:45
Actually im in the same situation as skunk4u and i do happen to think it is also a complete rip off.

Keep in mind here that for a sky subscriber to get access to all NINE (wooooo!) HD channels that you are being asked to outlay 300 quid on a box (which telewst give away for free) and then add another 52 quid a MONTH on top of that in subscription costs in order to get those nine channels.

Thats 624 pounds a year in subscription fees or 924 pounds including the box.

Thats a grand plus for television for a year if you include your licence fee.

It could as peachy as J Lo's ass at that price and i still wouldnt buy it.

STONEISLAND
25-04-2006, 10:00
It is, but not in comparison to your TV. ;)

Firstly-what model TV do you have, & is it actually "HD Ready"?

TV is coming when I move house. I'm debating whether to have plasma or LCD can anyone recommend?

Paul
25-04-2006, 10:01
Moved to Sky HDTV forum.

jtwn
25-04-2006, 12:49
It should be remember that very few HDTVs actually exist that *can* display the full 1080i resolution. Chances are, you don't have one.

TheBlueRaja
25-04-2006, 13:16
It depends on your budget, but i can recommend the new Panasonic THXXPX60 which is cracking value for money, the XX releates to the size as in TH42 or TH37.....

Hope that helps.

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/th42px60ped

BTW - you can get this screen for around 600 quid less than that price there.

Neil
25-04-2006, 14:13
It should be remember that very few HDTVs actually exist that *can* display the full 1080i resolution. Chances are, you don't have one.

Plenty do 1080i, but only a couple do full 1080p.

jtwn
25-04-2006, 15:10
No, I am referring to actual pixels. Most will take the 1080i signal, few will actually use every single pixel in re-representing the image.

Take a look here (http://www.avland.co.uk/plasma/index.htm#plasma) for a few typical actual resolutions they display.

Its a con, I know :rolleyes:

TheBlueRaja
25-04-2006, 15:28
1080p is pointless at the moment anyway - nothing utilizes it - not HD-DVD, not Sky HD or telewest TVDrive, they are all 720p and/or 1080i.

Blu-Ray can do 1080P, but the sets will cost a mint and as there is nothing apart from Blu-Ray to make it mass market at the moment there isnt much point.

Anything thats 720P or 1080i is perfectly acceptable for the next 4 or 5 years at least.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

No, I am referring to actual pixels. Most will take the 1080i signal, few will actually use every single pixel in re-representing the image.

Take a look here (http://www.avland.co.uk/plasma/index.htm#plasma) for a few typical actual resolutions they display.

Its a con, I know :rolleyes:

Yeah your right, but its 1080 vertical lines only for 1080i, however most have 1024, what this means is that 58 lines of pixels will be missing from the picture 28 top and bottom.

Which is probably only about a cm of the picture.

Not really that much to worry about concidering if you have a "Widescreen" CRT your missing more than that at the edge with most.

jtwn
25-04-2006, 15:36
Its the other way round. Most have 1024 horizontal and 768 vertical.

TheBlueRaja
25-04-2006, 15:54
Its the other way round. Most have 1024 horizontal and 768 vertical.

Doh, my bad...

RealDiamond
26-04-2006, 17:25
AS the sky+ box is only £50 (if ya get the discount on offer IF you have the right Credit card), the HD box is costing an extra £250
The boxes on cable is not free, the rental fee is added to your monthly subscription on cable. drop the service and they can ask for it back. ive moved and Telewest did request it , but changed their minds. after i said they ll have to collect it, with no one home, so they wanted it binned instead.