PDA

View Full Version : The point bits on a corkscrew

greencreeper
23-04-2006, 22:54
What they for? :erm: I don't mean the screw itself - I mean the handles that you pull down to make the cork come out. They have a sort of curved spear-shape on the end that must surely be for something. But what? :erm:

Oh - and I don't suppose anyone knows what sort of battery goes in a car key? :erm:

Life - all these questions :D

Mal
23-04-2006, 22:57
Do you mean a corkscrew like this?

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2006, 22:58
hmm, I suspect you/ve been practising with that corkscrew and consuming the contents :drunk:

try a bottle opener for beer bottles perhaps.

As for car key batteries, will depend on the car. Take the key to the local dealer.

greencreeper
23-04-2006, 23:05
Do you mean a corkscrew like this?
YES! :hyper: See the end bits - they're shaped.

hmm, I suspect you/ve been practising with that corkscrew and consuming the contents :drunk:
:D Not at all. Just some questions bother me and Google can't always help.

As for car key batteries, will depend on the car. Take the key to the local dealer.
A friend's is going flat - thought I'd pick him one up. Cash is tight for him at the moment.

iain_herts
23-04-2006, 23:07
the 1 thats goes in mine is a cr2032 (car is a vauxhall corse c)

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/detail_EN2032001A.html

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2006, 23:10
With that type of corkscrew, it's called design ;) and if the handles didn't have the "spears" they'd be shorter, requiring more effort due to less leverage, and thus harder to use.

bmxbandit
23-04-2006, 23:16
the curve on the underside (as on that picture) is so it fits in when it's folded down, and it's flattened to reduce the pressure on your hands when you remove a cork. the reason why a lot of corkscrews look very similar, is that it's a good design!

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Oh - and I don't suppose anyone knows what sort of battery goes in a car key? :erm:
unless it's some sort of weird proprietary thing, take it out and show it to your nearest hardware shop :)

greencreeper
23-04-2006, 23:19
With that type of corkscrew, it's called design ;) and if the handles didn't have the "spears" they'd be shorter, requiring more effort due to less leverage, and thus harder to use.
:scratch: I don't see how they make it easier to use. Maybe a bit of criss-crossing on the ends for grip, yeah, but curved spears? :erm: Perfect shape for removing an eyeball.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

the 1 thats goes in mine is a cr2032 (car is a vauxhall corse c)

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/detail_EN2032001A.html
I was thinking that but they key doesn't look big enough. Will get a 2032 - will come in handy for something if it doesn't fit.

basa
24-04-2006, 09:47
Is it just me .. or is this thread SURREAL ??? :erm:

Pia
24-04-2006, 10:00
Is it just me .. or is this thread SURREAL ??? :erm:
I thought it was quite normal.......until i read this by greencreeper...

Maybe a bit of criss-crossing on the ends for grip, yeah, but curved spears? :erm: Perfect shape for removing an eyeball.
:disturbd: :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-04-2006, 12:21
they're curved to accomodate your thumbs??

dont try to use one of those cork screws if you have a fragile cork. The screw on those are very poor and blunt which generally causes you to get cork in the bottle

Shaun
24-04-2006, 13:01
You all want a decent waiters friend, never get split/broken corks with those!

greencreeper
24-04-2006, 18:36
I thought it was quite normal.......until i read this by greencreeper...
Might be the functions I find myself at :D

You all want a decent waiters friend, never get split/broken corks with those!
Humf. Some of us don't have the money to afford to pay young men to come round for the evening.

Extensive research has led to me to two possibilities - crusty fungus remover, or foil cutter. Not sure which is least likely. I feel sure they're there for something.

Gareth
25-04-2006, 12:39
Don't let a split cork inside a bottle spoil your enjoyment of any wine... you can use a tea strainer to filter it into your glass.

Also, here's another tip in case you're ever caught without a bottle opener but in desperate need of some wine. It's possible to push the cork inside the bottle, without it splitting, by using something thin but sturdy (I've managed it with some bamboo before)... however, it gets annoying when you pour the wine, as the cork floats to the top and stops the flow of wine.

In this case, you should slowly pour the 1st glass as per normal, but before pouring the 2nd and subsequent glasses, you need to swirl the bottle slightly, which makes the cork start to spin, and allows you to pour the wine easily until the cork has stopped spinning. Once the cork stops spinning, keep repeating... until you've drunk the whole bottle :drunk:

Ramrod
25-04-2006, 12:44
they're curved to accomodate your thumbs??No, to accomodate your palms......

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Don't let a split cork inside a bottle spoil your enjoyment of any wine... you can use a tea strainer to filter it into your glass.

Also, here's another tip in case you're ever caught without a bottle opener but in desperate need of some wine. It's possible to push the cork inside the bottle, without it splitting, by using something thin but sturdy (I've managed it with some bamboo before)... however, it gets annoying when you pour the wine, as the cork floats to the top and stops the flow of wine.

In this case, you should slowly pour the 1st glass as per normal, but before pouring the 2nd and subsequent glasses, you need to swirl the bottle slightly, which makes the cork start to spin, and allows you to pour the wine easily until the cork has stopped spinning. Once the cork stops spinning, keep repeating... until you've drunk the whole bottle :drunk:Lets take a moment to reflect on those sage words and bow down before the wisdom of the one who wrote them :nworthy:

Wicked_and_Crazy
25-04-2006, 13:08
No, to accomodate your palms......

you use your palms!!!

me thinks either your corks are glued in (wife action!) or you havent been playing with your balls enough (gyro ;)) to build up strength in your thumbs!. Thumb goes under the leave index finger over the lever, grab and pull up

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

and taint the delicate flavours of wine with the tea!!:rolleyes:

Also, here's another tip in case you're ever caught without a bottle opener but in desperate need of some wine. It's possible to push the cork inside the bottle, without it splitting, by using something thin but sturdy (I've managed it with some bamboo before)

I cant recall the last time i forgot a cork screw but had a length of bamboo with me :D

danielf
25-04-2006, 13:09
you use your palms!!!

me thinks either your corks are glued in (wife action!) or you havent been playing with your balls enough (gyro ;)) to build up strength in your thumbs!. Thumb goes under the leave index finger over the lever, grab and pull up

eh? Look at the pic in post #2. You push down (using your palms) to remove the cork. That's what the levers are for... :confused:

Nemesis
25-04-2006, 13:10
Welcome to National Useless Information Day !!!

Wicked_and_Crazy
25-04-2006, 13:12
eh? Look at the pic in post #2. You push down (using your palms) to remove the cork :confused:

i wouldnt, pushing with your palms doesnt give you any grip to a sliding bottle

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

i didnt see you contribute, so cant be true ;)

i cant see the point in the this thread either :D

danielf
25-04-2006, 13:12

Well, yes, that bit of info is rather useless in a thread about corkscrews :dozey:

greencreeper
25-04-2006, 18:42
Troll alert - someone get a mod :D

i cant see the point in the this thread either :D
I turned to my fellow forum members for help in resolving a mystery - one of those annoying little puzzles that bugs you until you resolve it.

Angua
25-04-2006, 19:17
I would recommend this sort http://www.discountcooking.com/shop/thumb/wine-time/104387/screwpull-elegance-lever-corkscrew.jpg Download Failed (1) Though why they include a stopper :shrug: ;)

As for key remote batteries IIRC they are like watch batteries but should be rechargable.

Ramrod
25-04-2006, 19:28
eh? Look at the pic in post #2. You push down (using your palms) to remove the cork. That's what the levers are for... :confused:Thats what I was thinking!

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Welcome to National Useless Information Day !!!Wow! Who rattled Nems cage?! :D

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

i wouldnt, pushing with your palms doesnt give you any grip to a sliding bottleThat's where control comes in......you need control with power! :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
25-04-2006, 20:41
Troll alert - someone get a mod :D

I turned to my fellow forum members for help in resolving a mystery - one of those annoying little puzzles that bugs you until you resolve it.

spot the person whom's head the pun went right over ;)

homealone
25-04-2006, 20:59
you're supposed to hold the levers between thumb & forefinger, to pull down & extract the cork, the thumb underneath, which fits perfectly in the contoured end of the lever.

Right thats the wine open - BSG :tu:

Wicked_and_Crazy
25-04-2006, 21:09
you're supposed to hold the levers between thumb & forefinger, to pull down & extract the cork, the thumb underneath, which fits perfectly in the contoured end of the lever.

isnt that what i said and then everyone shot me down???

Gareth
25-04-2006, 21:41
Bah, in any case I drink more beer than I do wine, and I can open beer bottles with my teeth :)

ps - wasn't one of the cub scouts' mottos "Be Prepared... always carry bamboo with you"?

greencreeper
25-04-2006, 22:12
I would recommend this sort
Looks like a torture implement :erm:

spot the person whom's head the pun went right over ;)
:erm: :dozey:

you're supposed to hold the levers between thumb & forefinger, to pull down & extract the cork, the thumb underneath, which fits perfectly in the contoured end of the lever
Seems that some of us need two hands on the job :D

wasn't one of the cub scouts' mottos "Be Prepared... always carry bamboo with you"?
I think that's pandas as oppose to cubs, though they're both variations on the bear theme, so I can understand the confusion.

Strzelecki
25-04-2006, 23:48
does http://www.corkscrew.com/ help at all?:)

Maggy
26-04-2006, 00:00
Is this is a peachy thread?:confused:

danielf
26-04-2006, 00:03
does http://www.corkscrew.com/ help at all?:)

Very much. Apparently we have a Screwpull (http://www.corkscrew.com/sales_screwpull_pocket.html) which I have to admit is one of the finest corkscrews I ever used. (It requires one hand to operate the corkscrew (light work as well), leaving the other to hold the bottle) The name does make you wonder though:

Him: Would you like a glass of wine?
Her: Yes, that would be lovely.
Him: Great, I'll get me Screwpull out. :erm: :D

homealone
26-04-2006, 01:15

isnt that what i said and then everyone shot me down???

yup, music is 'fine young cannibals' - 'the raw and the remix'

oh yeah ;)