PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Ntl BB So Slooowww !!!

Stuartbe
28-11-2003, 08:14
I am on BB in luton. My connection at the moment is terible. I am sure that all the problems are related to there terible xparent proxy's and dns servers as there is a delay in finding the pages (5-6 seconds) and then yahoo for example takes around 45 seconds to load all the gif's. Ftp downloads are fine but http downloads are coming down at around 12k.

I find myself wondering why I am paying £ 35.00 a month for 1mb broadband when everything is only going slightly faster than a decent dial up connection.

:afire: :afire: :afire: :afire: :afire: :afire: :afire: :afire: :afire:

I tried changing my dns settings to other isp's and then recived a deluge of packets aimed at port 53 from the ubr. Everytime I tried to browse a site I recieved around 400-450 of these packets. Sorry NTL but last time I checked I was not a DNS server. !!!!!!!!

When are they going to sort there network out ???? If there network cant handle all of this trafic then why are they selling 1mb broadband to people. There solution is to blame people who download big files :mad: What the hell do they think people buy the service for.

Oh well - had my grumble for all the good it will do. Does anyone know the best proxy to use on the luton area and a set of fast dns servers ?

:(

Tightscot
28-11-2003, 08:32
Hi stuartbe

try checking here for a list of ntl proxies...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl

and click here for instructions on how to chnge proxies in windows...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#iew

I find the best way is to get the proxy name from the first link, ping it from a command window, and use the IP address you get from the replies. Use port 8080 too......

As to which one is best i can only recommend you use good old trial and error until you find a good 'un

hope that helps..... :)

EDIT: try using theses for DNS;

paulyoung666
28-11-2003, 08:37
might be better if ntl got themselves sorted out , i wonder if it is oversubbed ubr syndrome , does it happen all the time or just at busy periods ????????? , i assume you have checked you are actually on the gold service as well !!!!!!!!!!! :)

oh btw welcome to the forum :)

Stuartbe
28-11-2003, 08:38
Thanks for the DNS servers Tightscot,, I will give them a go tonight. -- If they dont work I was thinking of investing in a length of damp string !!!!

Stuartbe
28-11-2003, 08:40
Thanks paulyoung666

Yes I have checked and the problem is consistant. NTL have already moved me to a dif ubr three times. When I last spoke to them (49 mins on hold) they told me that they will move me again and this would solve the problem --- suprise suprise..... they have not done it.

HornetUK
28-11-2003, 08:43
As someone whose clueless when it comes to PCs the part where you mention GIFs is that where my web pages are loading up with all the graphics missing as that was happening to me last night for the first time. Alos this morning when surely its not UBR related? Reminds me of when I used a 33k modem on my dreamcast haven't had picture less sites for a year now! But NTL are taking me back!

paulyoung666
28-11-2003, 08:44
Thanks paulyoung666

Yes I have checked and the problem is consistant. NTL have already moved me to a dif ubr three times. When I last spoke to them (49 mins on hold) they told me that they will move me again and this would solve the problem --- suprise suprise..... they have not done it.

sodding typical aint it , just out of curiousity how far away is your local office ???????? , i had a problem with them i couldnt get sorted out over the phone so i went to see them , got it sorted straight away face to face , i wasnt nasty it was just easier to sort out the problem that way :)

paulyoung666
28-11-2003, 08:45
As someone whose clueless when it comes to PCs the part where you mention GIFs is that where my web pages are loading up with all the graphics missing as that was happening to me last night for the first time. Alos this morning when surely its not UBR related? Reminds me of when I used a 33k modem on my dreamcast haven't had picture less sites for a year now! But NTL are taking me back!

yes it is :(

Neil
28-11-2003, 08:51
Thanks paulyoung666

Stuart-PM me your postcode, & I'll give you a high level contact for your region.

Stuartbe
28-11-2003, 08:58
Thats the type of problem that loads of people are having.

If I ran my network like NTL do my company would sack my ass !!!

Anyone else had enough of this ??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Stuartbe
28-11-2003, 09:18
Neil...

I have pm'd you my details. If you could get something sorted out for me I would be greatfull.

Cheers

Stuart

Neil
28-11-2003, 09:23
Neil...

I have pm'd you my details. If you could get something sorted out for me I would be greatfull.

Cheers

Stuart

I've replied to your PM with the contact details that you need.

Stuartbe
28-11-2003, 09:32
Thanks Neil.

I will give it a go. They may be able to help !!!

Oh Look !! there is a squadron of pigs flying past -- What Ho Chaps !!!!

Stuartbe
01-12-2003, 08:24
Just to let you all know.

My SCM threw a wobbley over the weekend. It happened at 8:00 on sat. right in the middle of me vpn'ing into work. :bigcry:

The modem kept giving a slow flash of the D/S light and then rebooting. When it came back up it was slower than it has ever been.

I have noticed that I am now on a different ubr so that rules out the over subscribed theory. I have not tried changing the proxy or dns as yet and frankly I dont see why I should have to fix the problem.

I wonder if I will one day I will actualy get the service I am paying for, I cant take any more dial up sessions.

Thanks for the woderfull weekend NTL !!!!!!!!!!!

Neil
01-12-2003, 08:27
Did you contact the person whose mail address I gave you?

Stuartbe
01-12-2003, 08:36
I have tried but ntl's good old smtp server does not want to take the mail. The first one bounced with " relaying to ntl world not permited " the second seems to have vanished into the abiss !!!!!

Ben
01-12-2003, 08:38
Are you able to get a copy of your modems diag page and post it here?

Stuartbe
01-12-2003, 08:41
Now there is the other strange problem. The problem is that after this strange reboot I cant get into the we diags on the modem, before the reboot I could view the page with no problems. When I could view it the signal looked o.k. and all tasks on init. had been completed.

Very stange....... Perhaps I need a new modem !!!!

Neil
01-12-2003, 08:45
I have tried but ntl's good old smtp server does not want to take the mail. The first one bounced with " relaying to ntl world not permited " the second seems to have vanished into the abiss !!!!!

That doesn't make sense-were you using Outlook/Express on an ntl connection at the time? :confused:

Stuartbe
01-12-2003, 08:52
Sure was. I even tried sending while on the ntl dail up as well. I have been able to send and recieve mail to other ntl users in the past with the same settings.

th'engineer
03-12-2003, 09:25
if you read my sig says it all about slow speeds