PDA

View Full Version : Car engine oil

LSainsbury
23-04-2006, 19:08
Hello,

Can somebody give an answer to the following please!

I noticed the other day my car need an oil top up, so I went to Halfords and asked the bloke behind the service counter which oil he'd recommend....

I told him my motor was an Astra 1.6 petrol and he recommend 15/40 oil - I ask him which would be ok so he recommended the Castrol Magnatech oil so I bought some and toped up.

Today the GF noticed the bottle in the garage and asked if I had used it - she thinks that oils should not be mixed and I should have used ....something else.....

Any ideas??

Nidge
23-04-2006, 19:18
Hello,

Can somebody give an answer to the following please!

I noticed the other day my car need an oil top up, so I went to Halfords and asked the bloke behind the service counter which oil he'd recommend....

I told him my motor was an Astra 1.6 petrol and he recommend 15/40 oil - I ask him which would be ok so he recommended the Castrol Magnatech oil so I bought some and toped up.

Today the GF noticed the bottle in the garage and asked if I had used it - she thinks that oils should not be mixed and I should have used ....something else.....

Any ideas??

Won't hurt anything mate, you should have drained all the old oil off first though so you could get the benefit of the Castrol Magantec oil. You'll notice a diffrence with the Castrol oil.

Graham M
23-04-2006, 19:56
Oil is oil :) (unless it is Magnatech as Nidge says) Mixing won't hurt but you won't get the full benefits.

LSainsbury
23-04-2006, 20:13
Oil is oil :)

Unless it happens to be oil for a diesel engine! ;)

Ta for replies....set my mind at rest - can't afford a new engine at the moment!

Graham M
23-04-2006, 20:24
Unless it happens to be oil for a diesel engine! ;)

Well then its Diesel Oil :p:

homealone
23-04-2006, 21:04
It used to be the case that people recommended not mixing petroleum based engine oil & synthetic engine oil - as far as I know that is no longer an issue & all synthetics are designed to be fully compatible.

Wicked_and_Crazy
23-04-2006, 22:19
what a load of twaddle has been spoken in this thread it never ceases to amaze me that people answer OP's questions when they havent got a clue what theyre talking about

1. You should never mix viscosities

2. As Homer says you should never mix natural oil with synthetic or semi synthetic. They used to break each other down, even if this no longer happens you still shouldnt do it as they have different lifetimes and different characteristics.

BTW Diesel oil is the fuel that a diesel engine burns and not the lubricant. Mind you a diesel will run on lubrcnt but its a tad expensive that way!!