PDA

View Full Version : New BB user what equpment do I get

gallego1
23-04-2006, 11:06
Hi

I am now able to sign up for BB and was wondering what does the installation/equipmet is involved

I already have DTV/Phone line by NTL and wondering what will be done to install the BB. I was told it is done via cable modem, what about the STB (pace 2000) of the TV?

At present the PC is located approx 12 meters from where the cable comes into the house whereas the TV is 30 cm away. Preferably I do not want any more wires going around the inside walls.

Will it be possible to setup a wireless system and will I need a wireless modem/router or just a wireless router.

General Info appreciated

Thanks in advance

Andrew

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2006, 11:14
The Pace STB you currently have will not support the current broadband speeds. It's possible to get it replaced with a Samsung STB that would do speeds to areound 6 Mb but when the current fastes bb is up to 10meg and you'd pay the same for the 6 or 10 meg, I wouldn't go down the STB route. It also depends on the area you live in wheterh boradband can even be supplied by STB.

You really need a dedicated cable modem. That is what ntl should supply. Tha will have it's own coaxial cable run to it

You can chose where you wna the modem to be placed. That depends on your wiring constraints. The ntl cable can be run aroudn external walls if that makes things easier.

You have the option of going wireless, but that is not kit that ntl supply. Check the networking area of this board for further advice if you want wireless.

Halcyon
23-04-2006, 11:14
You will probably end up with either being given a stand alone cable modem when you set up you sign up for broadband, or the engineer will connect it using your set top box.

To not have any wires round your house, you can leave the NTL modem / box where it is and then connect up a wireless router to it. This will send the signal round your house and then you can put in wireless network cards into each PC that requires wireless Internet access.
You can also connect via wire as well. Wireless routers have both connections.
For a list of good wirelss routers to buy, check out this thread HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33018)

You will then need wireless network cards for each PC and they are relatively cheap these days.