PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a fitted ovens element

Mr_love_monkey
22-04-2006, 20:38
Hi,

From what I can tell, the element on my just over 1 year old, Bosch electric oven has just given up the ghost - something tripped the main breaker in the house this evening, and since then the fan oven doesn't work, so form what I've read that (the trip switch) is what usually happens when the element goes.

How easy is it to replace the element in a fitted oven? - i.e. is it easy to the oven out, and back in, and to actually replace the element? - I've googled and it says it's pretty easy to replace the element but a page of text with 5 bullet points never really matches up to the real thing....

homealone
22-04-2006, 23:19
forget replacement - claim on your house insurance & get a new oven, imho, of course ;)

Mr_love_monkey
22-04-2006, 23:38
forget replacement - claim on your house insurance & get a new oven, imho, of course ;)
Yeah, and then pay for it for the next 10 years.... :)

A new element should cost 40 quid... if I can do it myself it works out a lot cheaper in the long run....

bopdude
23-04-2006, 00:02
forget replacement - claim on your house insurance & get a new oven, imho, of course ;) Yeah, and then pay for it for the next 10 years.... :)

A new element should cost 40 quid... if I can do it myself it works out a lot cheaper in the long run....

They are an absolute doddle mate, first and foremost, make sure your safe, isolate at the mains, knock the lot off to be sure :tu: second, just to be double sure, turn off the local switch, there should be 4 screws holding the oven into the housing ( behind the door, open it and see ) take these out and the oven should pull straight out and lift onto the floor or box or whatever, next, take off the back cover, you'll see the back of the element and the retaining nut and connections. Obvious from there on what to do mate, there will be a cover over the element on the inside of the oven, normally a couple or 4 screws again. Take the element to your local element replacement centre :erm: and reverse process, viola, cooking can resume, to be sure it's the element you can 'normally' see the blow, sometimes not, ask the dealer to check if in doubt.
HTH, anything else....just ask :tu:

Mr_love_monkey
27-04-2006, 08:37
They are an absolute doddle mate, first and foremost, make sure your safe, isolate at the mains, knock the lot off to be sure :tu: second, just to be double sure, turn off the local switch, there should be 4 screws holding the oven into the housing ( behind the door, open it and see ) take these out and the oven should pull straight out and lift onto the floor or box or whatever, next, take off the back cover, you'll see the back of the element and the retaining nut and connections. Obvious from there on what to do mate, there will be a cover over the element on the inside of the oven, normally a couple or 4 screws again. Take the element to your local element replacement centre :erm: and reverse process, viola, cooking can resume, to be sure it's the element you can 'normally' see the blow, sometimes not, ask the dealer to check if in doubt.
HTH, anything else....just ask :tu:
Do I have to go through the back? is it the same with all ovens? - it's just something I read on another site made it sound like you go through the front....

Taf
27-04-2006, 10:08
Things get a little more complicated if it's a fan-assisted oven.... it may be the fan that has given up the ghost.... just turn the thermostat to minimum and see if the fan runs on its own first (it may also run on its own in defrost mode if you have that).

bopdude
27-04-2006, 17:34
Should be both mate, don't be affraid to have a go, take off the cover inside first to see how far you cab get, then if needs be, as I said, you will more than likely have to get into the back for the connections.there really isn't much to them, what model number is it, I'll try and have a look on the web

Wicked_and_Crazy
27-04-2006, 18:43
yes, let use know the model. I'm just about to chuck out a Bosch fitted fan assist oven. If by a fluke of chance its the same element your welcome to it