PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone confirm this rumour?

Frank
27-11-2003, 21:49
apparently retentions in renfrew area got so bloody desperate to keep custs they were offering them playstations to stay on LMAO

heh u shouldnt believe everything u hear. but it wouldn't surpise me

well... playstations would be relatively low value compared to the usual 'free service for the rest of your life' pimpage

Russ
27-11-2003, 21:50
Ya just so want that to be true don't ya?? :D

Frank
27-11-2003, 21:53
I'm being serious.

Russ
27-11-2003, 21:54
So am I! I was referring to people in general, not just you :D

Paul
27-11-2003, 22:03
No bickering please children :D

Sorry keyser, I asked someone I know who has renfew based NTL and they never heard of this.

handyman
27-11-2003, 22:18
It would not be wildly advertised.
There are many things you can get in a retention deal, one good one is the mobile phone plan (discounted calls).
Others are there as well but you do not find out till you ask to leave.

chris D
27-11-2003, 23:14
Thats a nice little deal for people in the Renfrew region if true: maybe they are just as indesisive as South Central's retention dept ...........
They sent me a letter offering 3 months free talkunlimited24 ..... then half way down the letter changes to 6 months..... then back to 3 months at the end of the letter!! Guess they couldnt make up their mind! lol

Frank
27-11-2003, 23:35
They sent me a letter offering 3 months free talkunlimited24 ..... then half way down the letter changes to 6 months..... then back to 3 months at the end of the letter!!Unmeasurable incompetence :rolleyes:

MetaWraith
27-11-2003, 23:52
Unmeasurable incompetence :rolleyes:

Nah surely it was measurable.
What size was the paper A4 maybe ?

Hell Fighter
28-11-2003, 00:25
Never heard of this one - best one I saw was the Celtic Retentions department offering the Setanta Season Ticket to customers wanting to disconnect.

Pointman
28-11-2003, 00:25
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Renfrew area is a very small part of the Glasgow Franchise in the Celtic Business Unit.

I think I'd have heard if anyone was daft enough to offer this as a retention deal and I'd also want to ask questions about where they found the budget to dish out PS2s.

Believe it or not, we are not desperate, and any retention deals offered are (AFAIK) realistic.

Escapee
28-11-2003, 08:05
The best thing about retention deals for some customers is that free service went on indefinately in some cases, because of problems with the left hand knowing what the right hand was doing.

I can also recall some small instances where there were customers that we were very glad to get rid of after spending thousands of £'s in man hours to no avail. Guess what retention would then do their best and get the customer back by promising that we would fix the fault that they had been complaining about for so long, very often the fault was due to teh program provider and we had no hope of getting it sorted.

There are unfortunately a small minority of customers that you will never please, and the company is better off without them!

th'engineer
28-11-2003, 09:58
The best thing about retention deals for some customers is that free service went on indefinately in some cases, because of problems with the left hand knowing what the right hand was doing.

I can also recall some small instances where there were customers that we were very glad to get rid of after spending thousands of £'s in man hours to no avail. Guess what retention would then do their best and get the customer back by promising that we would fix the fault that they had been complaining about for so long, very often the fault was due to teh program provider and we had no hope of getting it sorted.

There are unfortunately a small minority of customers that you will never please, and the company is better off without them!
Escapee got to disagree with your line of thought the customer wants it fixing he does not want the hassle of changing to another provider.

All i have ever wanted from NTL is to have a service that worked did not fall over. The majority of the faults that have occured have been down to NTL not managing the equipment.

Not new faults 1000 stb placed in an area where power variance is normal instead of the 2000STB.

4000STB placed on a very busy internet connection so it failed.

Cables not installed properley causing failure of other customers.

Cables trapped in cabinets so no phone line

Cables pulled across sharp objects during install so needing replacement

Badly terminated cables pins not pushed home into blocks

Earh on cable damage caused by other installs after own install

Dial up line set to voice not data so speeds and disconnects.

Severs packing up and backup packing up at same time

All the above was preventable.

Escapee
28-11-2003, 12:29
Escapee got to disagree with your line of thought the customer wants it fixing he does not want the hassle of changing to another provider.

All i have ever wanted from NTL is to have a service that worked did not fall over. The majority of the faults that have occured have been down to NTL not managing the equipment.

Not new faults 1000 stb placed in an area where power variance is normal instead of the 2000STB.

4000STB placed on a very busy internet connection so it failed.

Cables not installed properley causing failure of other customers.

Cables trapped in cabinets so no phone line

Cables pulled across sharp objects during install so needing replacement

Badly terminated cables pins not pushed home into blocks

Earh on cable damage caused by other installs after own install

Dial up line set to voice not data so speeds and disconnects.

Severs packing up and backup packing up at same time

All the above was preventable.

I agree with what you are saying, but I said a small number!

I am talking about for example the people on analogue who had excellent off-air pictures and they were not getting quality as good from ntl. It was impossible to improve their pictures to the quality of that received from a good terrestial analogue set-up. In this case the retention department promising that the problem would be resolved and giving them free service for a set period only winds the customer up more in the long run.

I have picked one particular issue in my example and there are more similar instances, that are on occassions beyond ntl's control. I am not being anti-customer with my comments but just pointing out that promises made by retention departments are often technically impossible to honour.