PDA

View Full Version : Prison and the internet?

driver_problems
16-04-2006, 23:51
Been trying to settle an argument here. I said that I didn't think you were allowed to access the net when you were doing stir - others said you were. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Kliro
16-04-2006, 23:54
AFAIK you aren't allowed acess - this is only going on the blogs of an english guy in a prison in arizona, so is about American prisons.

Mal
16-04-2006, 23:56
AFAIK you aren't allowed acess - this is only going on the blogs of an english guy in a prison in arizona, so is about American prisons.Has this bloke been released then? :)

Halcyon
16-04-2006, 23:57
Maybe they are allowed to send E-mails to family ? but have no other access to the net.

Enuff
17-04-2006, 00:19
I dont think they are allowed access to the net? They might try the escape key!... imagine what they'd do with all them files! :D

Roy MM
17-04-2006, 06:40
Allowed access to computer intranet, but not connected to the net, my nephew is a prison officer.

punky
17-04-2006, 07:45
This was already discussed here before a little while ago. True to form, it was closed. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=29175

AFAIK, ATM they don't however I think the government is trying to bring it in.

cnewton2k
17-04-2006, 12:46
You are not allowed to use the internet whist in HMP i spk for experience

Kliro
17-04-2006, 13:01
Has this bloke been released then? :)

No, he writes the blogs to his family using the innards of a ball-point, and then his family post the letters online for him.

Damien
18-04-2006, 09:00
Prisoners should be allowed some, basic access to the internet

Graham M
18-04-2006, 09:06

What should allow them this right?

Maggy
18-04-2006, 09:10

It might be argued that those that use the internet to peddle their criminal offences should be denied access to the internet.Paedophiles are one group that spring to mind.:erm:

grandmaster
18-04-2006, 12:26
Prisoners dont have access and i dont think Prisoners should have access to the internet.
Intranet then yeah maybe. screened content etc but not the internet.

Enuff
18-04-2006, 12:35
Ye, a prisoner having access to the internet, has access to the outside world, a window without bars! But come to think of it, I'd probably give certain offenders access? maybe to all of the pensioners who are in there for none payment of taxes.

Nugget
18-04-2006, 12:47
Ye, a prisoner having access to the internet, has access to the outside world, a window without bars! But come to think of it, I'd probably give certain offenders access? maybe to all of the pensioners who are in there for none payment of taxes.

But where does that stop? If you're in prison because you've committed a crime, then you should have the same restriction of privileges that all prisoners have.

As much as some people find it distasteful, non-payment of Council Tax is illegal, so why should some pensioner (to use your example) have different 'rights' while they're inside?

Enuff
18-04-2006, 13:18
But where does that stop? If you're in prison because you've committed a crime, then you should have the same restriction of privileges that all prisoners have.

As much as some people find it distasteful, non-payment of Council Tax is illegal, so why should some pensioner (to use your example) have different 'rights' while they're inside?I think some pensioners are in there for the crime of not being able to afford it? God help them if they come across a certain type of Prison Officer like Percy Wetmore! :td:

homealone
18-04-2006, 13:49
In an ideal world 'nannied' connection to the internet should be available to prisoners as part of any other education / rehabilitation opportunities, in my opinion. The difficulty would be in managing it - by definition it is a 'one person per machine' activity, so it presents the difficulty of scheduling access. I doubt having more than 10 machines in a room would be practical - and how many hundreds of prisoners would want to have a go?

It might have some weight as a potentially withdrawable priviledge, to help discipline, I suppose, but I think the main problems are logistical, involving timetabling & supervision, rather than any 'moral' consideration. After all if our 'Websense' programme can stop me doing anything dodgy, at work, I'm sure something similar would work in a prison.

grandmaster
18-04-2006, 23:08
<snip> After all if our 'Websense' programme can stop me doing anything dodgy, at work, I'm sure something similar would work in a prison.</snip>

PAH Websense.
I hate it..!

Half the time the database reckons legit sites are evil.
At one point it thought cable forum was sexually orientated material!

:erm:

driver_problems
18-04-2006, 23:14
God help them if they come across a certain type of Prison Officer like Percy Wetmore! :td:

wondered who you were on about for a moment there - but did a bit of googling - and yeah - what a complete and utter **** glad he got his commumpance in the film:tu:

smicer07
18-04-2006, 23:30
I know, let's give them all Sky+, a full breakfast each morning, and a choice of over 20 scantily clad women eh?

driver_problems
18-04-2006, 23:32
I know, let's give them all Sky+, a full breakfast each morning, and a choice of over 20 scantily clad women eh?

no wonder all the prsions are full :(

homealone
19-04-2006, 00:42

just imagine, you got involved in a messy relationship, you & your partner bought a house, but split up - unfortunately the loan was in your name & the house was worth loads less than you borrowed, so you were sent to prison, for the debt......

- ok, unlikely, but, think for one second, if it did happen, would you want to feel prison was helping you to start a new life or just carry on with the old one??

Not all prisoners are rapists & murderers, Simon ;)

Nidge
19-04-2006, 04:54
My nephew has just done a stretch and he said you can't get access to the internet in jail.

orangebird
19-04-2006, 13:51
How about those that have been in for a few years. One of the hopes for ex-cons is that they can get back into society, get a job, and get on with an honest decent life. So many jobs nowadays require at least basic PC skills. Would it not be a benefit on the whole for them to have some access to PCs and the super highway? Why not use their time inside constructively, learning useful skills for when they're released? :shrug:

basa
19-04-2006, 14:17
How about those that have been in for a few years. One of the hopes for ex-cons is that they can get back into society, get a job, and get on with an honest decent life. So many jobs nowadays require at least basic PC skills. Would it not be a benefit on the whole for them to have some access to PCs and the super highway? Why not use their time inside constructively, learning useful skills for when they're released? :shrug:

Because it would always be open to abuse. Some form of intranet would satisfy the educational requirement IMO.

driver_problems
19-04-2006, 19:16
Because it would always be open to abuse. Some form of intranet would satisfy the educational requirement IMO.

yeah - I agree with that - some crims would just act just the same as if they were 'outside' especially the cybercrims

Shaun
19-04-2006, 20:29
your partner bought a house, but split up - unfortunately the loan was in your name & the house was worth loads less than you borrowed, so you were sent to prison, for the debt......

A good point about lower crimes Gaz. :)

Just to put the record straight (for all those now scared stiff they are about to be taken to prison by the bailiff). Debts (except council tax) are a civil matter and you'd never be put in prison for failing to pay them :)

Oh unless you lied on your application form then that's fraud and you could go to jail for that ;)

Mal
19-04-2006, 20:51
Just to put the record straight (for all those now scared stiff they are about to be taken to prison by the bailiff). Debts (except council tax) are a civil matter and you'd never be put in prison for failing to pay them :)

Oh unless you lied on your application form then that's fraud and you could go to jail for that ;)A District Judge can make an order for you to be arrested and jailed for 7 days if you fail to complete and return a form back to the court, if a creditor has applied for an attachment of earnings order. ;)

Though would the 7 days count as a stretch?

me283
19-04-2006, 23:14
A District Judge can make an order for you to be arrested and jailed for 7 days if you fail to complete and return a form back to the court, if a creditor has applied for an attachment of earnings order. ;)

Though would the 7 days count as a stretch?

There are other ways a civil debt can (in theory) land you in prison as well.

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

As much as some people find it distasteful, non-payment of Council Tax is illegal...

Unless you're the Deputy PM, in which case it's an "oversight" :dunce:

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

I must be missing something here. Let me see if there is a link... internet in prisons... helping prisoners get some form of education... Now, call me old-fashioned, but have you guys ever heard of books? If they want to learn a syllabus, use the prison library! Believe it or not, people have been studying that way for a long, long time, and some people still do. Nowhere does it say that if you want to study, you have to have internet access.

Damien
22-04-2006, 16:09
I mean basic access to the internet, supervised, and only for those in for non-internet related crimes.

Kliro
22-04-2006, 16:26

I should hope they do get a full breakfast every morning, the idea is to reform not punish.

Although it'd have many benefits if they were allowed net access, I can see it being thoroughly abused as prisoners have sucessfully managed to manipulate phones to make calls that they aren't allowed to..

me283
22-04-2006, 16:45
I should hope they do get a full breakfast every morning, the idea is to reform not punish.

Although it'd have many benefits if they were allowed net access, I can see it being thoroughly abused as prisoners have sucessfully managed to manipulate phones to make calls that they aren't allowed to..

I thought the idea was to punish AND reform? And also to protect society from those who would do it harm? I didn't realise that prison was just an alternative route to education and understanding.

Halcyon
22-04-2006, 17:18
How about those that have been in for a few years. One of the hopes for ex-cons is that they can get back into society, get a job, and get on with an honest decent life. So many jobs nowadays require at least basic PC skills.

I think a computer room where people can learn basic skills such as reading and writing, word processing, etc would be beneficial to reforming people so they have skills for when they get out.
Access to an Intrant offering advice on jobs, religion, activities and sports they can do within the prison would be what I think would work best.
Maybe they could also browse online journals and news too.
However, there would be no two way link for them to any other place or access to the Internet.

Kliro
22-04-2006, 18:37
I thought the idea was to punish AND reform? And also to protect society from those who would do it harm? I didn't realise that prison was just an alternative route to education and understanding.

I've always been taught the primary purpose of prisons was to reform, though that obivously doesn't happen.

But as can be seen from the countless re-offenders. Punishment certainly does not serve as a substitute for education.

me283
22-04-2006, 19:06
I've always been taught the primary purpose of prisons was to reform, though that obivously doesn't happen.

But as can be seen from the countless re-offenders. Punishment certainly does not serve as a substitute for education.

It's a bit of a strange one - IMO prisons try so hard to reform that they forget about the punishment aspect; consequently, people don't always view prison as the deterrent that it could be. Let's face it, looking at it as a risk/reward equation, a prisoner stands to not lose too much if he is imprisoned.

v0id
22-04-2006, 19:13
PAH Websense.
I hate it..!

Half the time the database reckons legit sites are evil.
At one point it thought cable forum was sexually orientated material!

:erm:

it probably identified CF as a chatboard/discussion forum, which CAN be sexually orientated. The mods here are quick, but even they have to sleep sometime