PDA

View Full Version : Coventry - what's to do?

Russ
15-04-2006, 20:56
I'm off to Coventry on monday, I'll be getting there at about 10pm and leaving around the same time on tuesday, can anyone recommend anything cool to do in the day?

Caff
15-04-2006, 21:11
Ya definitely should have a look around the old and new cathedrals.

A link to the Coventry and Warwickshire BBC homepage - it show links to all sorts of events:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/coventry/index.shtml
Enjoy you stopover. :)

Fingy
16-04-2006, 01:45
I think you will be able to find plenty to do... or someone to advise. :p:

Slyder
16-04-2006, 11:34
I'm off to Coventry on monday,

You must be desperate to come down here... :p:

Xaccers
16-04-2006, 11:47
Some might not consider it cool, but you could hurry up and do some reading ;)

Are there any memorials about the bombing that you could visit?

andygrif
16-04-2006, 12:01
What to do in Coventry?

Take the M45 then M1 south.

End of list.

Russ
16-04-2006, 12:19
That bad eh? :erm:

banjo
16-04-2006, 13:09
What about the Motor museum, just opened, Thrust 1 & 2 really good day out, but watch out for pot holes the roads are atrocious

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

If you want I could send you a picture of the people at the Church we go to, taken at about 5AM this morning showing us celebrating the "Dawn Eucharist" We have been up since 3AM !

zing_deleted
16-04-2006, 13:34
Coombe Abbey and park is a must see.The cathedrals of course see if you can find the swastika in the old Cathedral ;)

cookie_365
16-04-2006, 13:40
I occassionally have to go to Coventry - and it really is 'have to' ;) - and unless there are any hidden treasures I'd say: take a laptop with a DVD player, and a stack of disks :rolleyes:

The first time I was there, I'm out of the station, into the cab, 'so what's there to see around here?'

Cabbie: You see the cathedral over there?
Cookie: Yes
Cabbie: You've seen everything then.

And every other cabbie I've sat behind said pretty much the same thing.

:(

banjo
16-04-2006, 14:16
I occassionally have to go to Coventry - and it really is 'have to' ;) - and unless there are any hidden treasures I'd say: take a laptop with a DVD player, and a stack of disks :rolleyes:

The first time I was there, I'm out of the station, into the cab, 'so what's there to see around here?'

And every other cabbie I've sat behind said pretty much the same thing.

:(

Know what you meen I went to Brighton one day and it was closed :rolleyes:

Russ
16-04-2006, 14:26

:rofl:

Timeless Stew
16-04-2006, 15:54
Horrible, horrible place. Absolutely nothing to see or do.

cookie_365
16-04-2006, 19:56
Know what you meen I went to Brighton one day and it was closed :rolleyes:

You must have gone to Worthing by mistake ;)

skyblueheroes
17-04-2006, 08:31
Horrible, horrible place. Absolutely nothing to see or do.

:mad:

Okay,

Cathedral (old and new) - center of town
Motor museum - center of town
Coombe Abbey - outskirts of town
Stratford - not Coventry but worth a visit

MMMMmmm, okay - not a great deal to do afterall :p:

Timeless Stew
17-04-2006, 09:33
:mad:

Okay,

Cathedral (old and new) - center of town
Motor museum - center of town
Coombe Abbey - outskirts of town
Stratford - not Coventry but worth a visit

MMMMmmm, okay - not a great deal to do afterall :p:

;) Yankee owned Warwick castle? Keniwolth Castle (how can call that thing a castle?)

BTW is there a cinema at Coventry?

When I was there, there was one but closed. We had to go to Brum to watch a movie...

Horrible place...let's call the Germans to bomb it again! :)

skyblueheroes
17-04-2006, 10:12
;) Yankee owned Warwick castle? Keniwolth Castle (how can call that thing a castle?)

When I was there, there was one but closed. We had to go to Brum to watch a movie...

Mmmm, bit extreme.

We have an Odeon in the center of town and a Showcase and another Odeon on the outskirts.

banjo
18-04-2006, 08:50

Obviously you do not know what you are talking about, where is Keniwolth Castle , never heard of it. I am going to report this post because of the stupidity, and the stupid remark about bombing, you should be ashamed of yourself. Do you know how many people died in the bombings ? you are quite new to this forum, engage your brain ? before posting.

Timeless Stew
18-04-2006, 09:03
Obviously you do not know what you are talking about, where is Keniwolth Castle , never heard of it. I am going to report this post because of the stupidity, and the stupid remark about bombing, you should be ashamed of yourself.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/kenilworthcastle/index.asp

I lived in Coventry for 3 years.... I know what I am talking about...regarding the bombing it was a joke... but seriously don't you think the best way for Coventry is to flatten it and start all over again?... the place lost it soul after the bombing and never regained it....

Nugget
18-04-2006, 09:07
Obviously you do not know what you are talking about, where is Keniwolth Castle , never heard of it. I am going to report this post because of the stupidity, and the stupid remark about bombing, you should be ashamed of yourself. Do you know how many people died in the bombings ? you are quite new to this forum, engage your brain ? before posting.

I think he meant Kenilworth Cast;e (http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/kenilworthcastle/) :shrug:

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

I lived in Coventry of 3 years.... I know what I am talking about...regarding the bombing it was a joke... but seriously don't you think the best way for Coventry is to flatten it and start all over again?... the place lost it soul after the bombing and never regained it....

Actually, I have to agree that Cov is a dump - I used to go out with a girl from Rugby, so we were often in Coventry (mind you, Rugby was even worse ;) )

Unfortunately, Coventry was rebuilt in the style of the time, but it just looks ugly these days - it could do with some massive re-development (like Birmingham recently), but where does the money come from?

banjo
18-04-2006, 09:09

I lived in Coventry for 3 years.... I know what I am talking about...regarding the bombing it was a joke... but seriously don't you think the best way for Coventry is to flatten it and start all over again?... the place lost it soul after the bombing and never regained it....

Well I have lived here for 55 years, and take offense at your remarks, now may I suggest you drop these insulting remarks

Timeless Stew
18-04-2006, 09:23
Well I have lived here for 55 years, and take offense at your remarks, now may I suggest you drop these insulting remarks
My intention was not to offend. My post was clearly ironic, I even put a smiley next to it!

Mick
18-04-2006, 10:22
Perhaps we should move on from this - the intention wasn't to offend anyone - this is clear. But can I suggest in future that perhaps a little consideration is considered in how people put across their views, even if it is said in humour. Using references to *bombings* even from the World Wars, approaches an area of sensitivity and should be avoided. Thanks.

Stuart
18-04-2006, 10:34

I lived in Coventry of 3 years.... I know what I am talking about...regarding the bombing it was a joke... but seriously don't you think the best way for Coventry is to flatten it and start all over again?... the place lost it soul after the bombing and never regained it....

Actually, I have to agree that Cov is a dump - I used to go out with a girl from Rugby, so we were often in Coventry (mind you, Rugby was even worse ;) )

Unfortunately, Coventry was rebuilt in the style of the time, but it just looks ugly these days - it could do with some massive re-development (like Birmingham recently), but where does the money come from?

I have to admit, I have spent less than 12 hours in Coventry, and most of that was waiting for a job interview or sleeping (had an interview with an engineering company at 8am, so they payed for me to stay the night before in a local B&B), and I thought Coventry seemed alright. Having said that, I live near Croydon, which is another area that was bombed, and heavily rebuilt in the fifties and sixties, so I am used to concrete jungles.

Russ
18-04-2006, 11:57
Ah well, it looks like we're off to the Motor Museum and then to the Cathedral :)

orangebird
18-04-2006, 12:25
Coventry is horrible IMO. Shops are quite good, but it's a damn ugly place. Needs a good clean too. And the road layout around the centre scares the life out of me.

Nugget
18-04-2006, 12:45
Coventry is horrible IMO. Shops are quite good, but it's a damn ugly place. Needs a good clean too. And the road layout around the centre scares the life out of me.

God, I'd forgotten about the roads!

Older Brother Nug was working in Cov once, so I got a lift with him to see me girlfriend. Having driven past the place he was working, it took us 25 minutes to find the right road to go down. Absolute shocker!

Mind you, he was working in it, while I was getting drunk - pros and cons, really :D

banjo
18-04-2006, 13:47
God, I'd forgotten about the roads!

Older Brother Nug was working in Cov once, so I got a lift with him to see me girlfriend. Having driven past the place he was working, it took us 25 minutes to find the right road to go down. Absolute shocker!

Mind you, he was working in it, while I was getting drunk - pros and cons, really :D

What Nirvana do you live in it sounds like you have a downer on somewhere you have just driven through, I shall not be drawn any more by your inane dribbling, oh and get your eyes fixed.

Nugget
18-04-2006, 14:00
What Nirvana do you live in it sounds like you have a downer on somewhere you have just driven through, I shall not be drawn any more by your inane dribbling, oh and get your eyes fixed.

Alright chief - wind your neck in :disturbd:

If you'd read my posts, you'd notice that I said I spent quite a bit of time in Cov when I went out with a girl from Rugby - I was probably there twice a week for about 18 months (not just driven though - in fact, Cov was where I first discovered Forbidden Planet, which I'll always be grateful for :) ).

Before you spout about my inane dribblings any more, please read some more of my posts - you'll note that most of them are pretty inane :erm: Oh, and I suggest that, before you complain about my eyes, you might want to get yours checked - if you do, and then re-read my last post, you'll note that my brother was driving (maybe he should get his eyes checked though ;) )

For the record, I quite like Coventry for what it has - I just think it's a bit of a dump :shrug:

orangebird
18-04-2006, 14:10

Chill out! Coventry IS a bit of a dump, like it or not. And the roads around the centre ARE scary. I have family in Warks and have been to Cov many a time, for shopping, and for when I was working for ntl (visiting their Hertford House office). It's the pits. End of. :)

pedantic
18-04-2006, 15:42
I remember going to Coventry a few moons ago. Me and a few mates went in a bar, got bladdered, and was entertained by scantily dressed ladies performing some kind of dance. :naughty: oops:

Plenty of dancing on tables, and then went off to watch the match at Highfield road, but can't remember if we (Man U) won or not. :drunk: All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed Coventry and recommend that kind of weekend to anyone. :D

Graham M
18-04-2006, 15:45
Last time i went through Coventry, someone jumped in front of the train I was on so it can't be all that good *shrugs*

Timeless Stew
18-04-2006, 15:55
Last time i went through Coventry, someone jumped in front of the train I was on so it can't be all that good *shrugs*

I have all sympathy for the jumpee, I was thinking of doing the same, life was not worth living in Canley, the worst suburb of Coventry....

zing_deleted
18-04-2006, 16:41
Coventry is no worse than any other city ive been in,Theres a lot of history in the area so if you looke you can find the good.Lets all look at Manchester and Mosside (think thats worse than Canley) All cities have run down areas.A lot of things that shaped the course of British history happened here,Bosworth Field for one where the line of monachy changed without this battle there would have never been Henry VIII or Liz 1 etc,Seek and you shall find as if you look below the surface you may well be surprised

skyblueheroes
18-04-2006, 17:17
Sorry but why can people post 'Coventry is a dump - end of' and expect people who live there not to defend it ? I know you're a woman, but I doubt you are always right.

I agree Coventry is not the best and its being rebuilt - slowly. The Ring Road takes some getting used to and the town centre is very 50's and 60's But I bet its no worse than where any of you lot live and in some cases even better. I've been to some right **** holes in my time but I wouldn't slag it off to someone's face if they lived there.

If you don't like it - don't visit. As Zingle said most towns have their dodgy run down areas - thats life.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

I have all sympathy for the jumpee, I was thinking of doing the same, life was not worth living in Canley, the worst suburb of Coventry....

Nice comment. Maybe if you had you wouldn't have posted such a useless post. Do you expect to stay here long ??

Caff
18-04-2006, 17:43
Looking back at the original post - I wonder why this thread has become a bashing ground for 'Coventry' by some. I'd have expected some light-hearted banter but not out and out, and in no way helpful, insults.

It's no worse to drive around than any other city, but it's not too pretty, I agree.

Coombe Park was great to walk around yesterday - despite the 5-minute downpour :D . Especially the 'off the beaten track' areas.

The cathedrals are always an inspiration to me, reminding me that Coventry is known, maybe more around the world than locally, as a centre of peace and reconcilliation. Coventry's Warwick Uni does degrees in it.:)

Comments about Bombing Coventry were indeed insensitive. :2cents:
Cheers.

Slyder
18-04-2006, 18:44
Just to echo whats been said really. If you dont want us Cov folk defending where we live, lay off with the insults. Ive been to many places up and down the UK and wouldnt come into a forum and just rip the crap into different cities and towns.

Timeless Stew
18-04-2006, 19:10
I own a house (Canley), I lived in Coventry for 3 years and I visit frequently. So somehow, I can tell my opinion...

99.9% of Warwick University land/estates is located in Coventry. In 1961 the Uni aquired a small plot in Warwickshire and build a small hall of residence (across the Gilbert Hill road), so it can call itself "Warwick". Is that insulting to Coventry or what?

I will now shut tfu, I do not want to upset more Sky Blues....

Bill C
18-04-2006, 19:21
Obviously you do not know what you are talking about, where is Kenilworth Castle , never heard of it. I am going to report this post because of the stupidity, and the stupid remark about bombing, you should be ashamed of yourself.

What a complete wally.

There are ways to upset people then there is the Timeless Stew way. Completely **** people off with less than 20 posts. Now most people take at least 30 :)

skyblueheroes
18-04-2006, 21:00
What a complete wally.

There are ways to upset people then there is the Timeless Stew way. Completely **** people off with less than 20 posts. Now most people take at least 30 :)

:D

True Unlimited.

My issue was not with Coventry itself but with the way people were slagging it off and thinking their opinions were the end - full stop.

Timeless Stew
18-04-2006, 21:03
If you are happy in Coventry, then please do so.:erm:

Russ
18-04-2006, 22:24
Right - my opinion of the place!

For a shopping trip Coventry seems to be really good, loads of malls selling all kinds of stuff, can't fault it there. The cathedral was good too - I even managed to name-check CableForum in the visitor's book! The Motor Museum really impressed me, got some good photos of that place which I might put up here later.

All in all the centre of Coventry didn't seem to have much to offer the sight-seer but I don't think it deserves the ripping it's had in this thread.

I also saw ntl's offices there too - and you'll be pleased to know I quietly spat in front of the doors :D

OK no I didn't but the temptation....! :D

skyblueheroes
19-04-2006, 06:47
Right - my opinion of the place!

For a shopping trip Coventry seems to be really good, loads of malls selling all kinds of stuff, can't fault it there. The cathedral was good too - I even managed to name-check CableForum in the visitor's book! The Motor Museum really impressed me, got some good photos of that place which I might put up here later.

All in all the centre of Coventry didn't seem to have much to offer the sight-seer but I don't think it deserves the ripping it's had in this thread.

I also saw ntl's offices there too - and you'll be pleased to know I quietly spat in front of the doors :D

OK no I didn't but the temptation....! :D

A fair assesment. I think the sight-seer will be let down and eventually go to Brum or Stratford. But it did not deserve the ribbing it got in here.

Nugget
19-04-2006, 08:46
A fair assesment. I think the sight-seer will be let down and eventually go to Brum or Stratford. But it did not deserve the ribbing it got in here.

Actually skyblue, I'd say that there isn't that much for your sightseer in Brum (although it definitely looks better than it did). Mind you, you're probably right about Stratford :)

orangebird
19-04-2006, 08:51
Actually skyblue, I'd say that there isn't that much for your sightseer in Brum (although it definitely looks better than it did). Mind you, you're probably right about Stratford :)
Exactly - SUA is beautiful. Coventry is a dump - IMO.

zing_deleted
19-04-2006, 09:51

yeah and your opinion is your own why come into forum and slag off someone elses town though? imo it shows bad manners and is positively rude

orangebird
19-04-2006, 09:55
yeah and your opinion is your own why come into forum and slag off someone elses town though? imo it shows bad manners and is positively rude

Umm, forums are for discussing opinions.... :erm:

I'm not 'slagging' off soemones homwtown. I'm giving an opinion on a town I know. If you're going to take it that personally, maybe discussion forums aren't the place for you :shrug:

zing_deleted
19-04-2006, 09:56
im not taking it personally just expressing my opinion on you voicing yours :) and you were "slagging off" someones home town and if you cant see that then ......You could easily have said I dont like coventry for whatever reasons the roads parking whatever calling it a dump is rude

Russ
19-04-2006, 10:01
Here are the pics I took....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.david4/Image000.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.david4/Image002.jpg

And my favourite, the Jag XJ220 :romance:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.david4/Image004a.jpg

And something you'll never EVER see on a bus again..... ;)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.david4/Image005.jpg

The Back to the Future De Lorean....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.david4/Image006.jpg

skyblueheroes
19-04-2006, 10:02

For ****'s sake - we're back to where we started from. This whole attitude of people on this forum is ****ing me off now. Where do you come from then ? Lets all start dissing where everyone else lives.

zing_deleted
19-04-2006, 10:05
N1 Russ glad you found plenty to do mate :)

Chris
19-04-2006, 10:11
For ****'s sake - we're back to where we started from. This whole attitude of people on this forum is ****ing me off now. Where do you come from then ? Lets all start dissing where everyone else lives.

Get a grip. OB is entitled to her opinion. You are entitled to yours. Sometimes your opinions will differ. That is what forums are like.

Russ
19-04-2006, 10:14
OK guys, thanks for all your opinions, I came, I saw, I took some pictures and I had a good time in Coventry - I hope to return soon.

(and before anyone accuses me of abusing my admin rights - I'm closing this because I'm the OP :D )