PDA

View Full Version : Bank Direct Debit

chocky909
14-04-2006, 18:56
I've made a terrible oversight. My Natwest account is gone overdrawn. It just happens to be my NTL Direct Debits have come in at the wrong time.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1790/bank26qq.jpg

Now you may notice that the second D/D is postdated the 18th. Now does that mean I can get some cash in my account on Tuesday to take care of it? Damn Bank Holiday weekend.

I wish I'd never bought those socks now (middle item)

Any ideas. Last time a direct debit tried to go through when my account was empty I got charged £45 by the bank. Apparently laws are being or have been changed to stop them from doing this but I don't know yet. Also, if they are going to fine me, surely it would have showed up with the 18Apr D/D?

Are banks open tomorrow morning? Or are they all closed till Tuesday?

smicer07
14-04-2006, 18:59
You could ask a mate or your folks to bank transfer you some cash online?

Druchii
14-04-2006, 19:12
I think the bank may well be open tomorrow morning for you there.

As Smicer said, try and get some family or friends to transfer you some money til it clears.

And btw, shop somwehere cheaper for socks :O

Xaccers
14-04-2006, 19:24
If you've got cash and can put it on on Tuesday morning, you'll be in a better position if the bank tries to charge you.
Most banks deal with debits before credits which if they want to be nasty can leave you in the stick.

chocky909
14-04-2006, 19:25
Bank transfers aren't really an option although there are a couple of possibilities.

You really think the banks might be open tomorrow morning? I tried to find something on the Natwest website but couldn't find anything. That's be great though, I'd have to get up a little earlier than usual...:dozey:

That was for 18 100% cotton socks (3pks of 6) +p&p so they weren't really that expensive.;)

Anyone been fined recently for Direct Debits with no funds available?

Druchii
14-04-2006, 20:01
Bank transfers aren't really an option although there are a couple of possibilities. You really think the banks might be open tomorrow morning? I tried to find something on the Natwest website but couldn't find anything. That's be great though, I'd have to get up a little earlier than usual...:dozey: That was for 18 100% cotton socks (3pks of 6) +p&p so they weren't really that expensive.;) Anyone been fined recently for Direct Debits with no funds available? Ah, the socks make sense now :)

And yeah, my mother was charged £39. She complained, and she got it refunded though :)

Shaun
14-04-2006, 20:07
Ring them tonight and cancel the DD, pay by post and ring Ntl to set-up the DD again.

Sorted. No charges (well Ntl may charge you £2 for non payment by DD).

Mauldor
14-04-2006, 20:29
Direct Debt is a very Expnsive Business if not checked.
My Charge £25 per Bounced DD - The companies charge £28 (AA), £20 (Sky) and £4 (BT) for "Admin Charges".

Personally i have cancelled ALL of mine and now pay direct - yes it cost me £4 extra a month but hell its better then £150 leaving my Bank and then the same again onto for charges..

chocky909
14-04-2006, 20:42
Ring them tonight and cancel the DD, pay by post and ring Ntl to set-up the DD again.

Sorted. No charges (well Ntl may charge you £2 for non payment by DD).
I have a feeling that because the D/D has already been issued by NTL that cancelling it now would make no difference. :confused:

I eventually found the telephone banking number (0845 7 77 77 66) and I was told by the nice lady that my branch will be open tomorrow morning until 1pm (so much for bank holiday weekends eh). If I stick £20 in my account and tell them to set the account to retry the debit automatically on Tuesday morning, I should be alright. Cash is instant so it'll already be there when that happens. Well that what she said anyway.

And yeah, my mother was charged £39. She complained, and she got it refunded though :)
Really? What were her grounds for complaint just out of interest? Am guessing that some people just manage to get away with murder, I suppose. Like the people on here that have 'retentions' on speed dial.;)

PS

Shaun, is Druchii your younger brother? Just with you both being 'fruit' based. Just a coincidence?

Druchii
14-04-2006, 20:59
Really? What were her grounds for complaint just out of interest? Am guessing that some people just manage to get away with murder, I suppose. Like the people on here that have 'retentions' on speed dial.;) Her grounds were that it doesn't take £39 to process a direct debit, in fact, it takes exactly the same as it would do if the money was in the account in the first place. Then she argued that charging £39 to an account that had no cash in to begin with just wasn't right.
I think the bank just had enough earache from her to be hoinest ;)

Shaun, is Druchii your younger brother? Just with you both being 'fruit' based. Just a coincidence?
Just a coincidence, i'm the eldest of my siblings, i havea younger sister, that is all.

greencreeper
14-04-2006, 21:02
I think with Abbey it's £30 plus interest for any account transaction that takes the account overdrawn, or is paid whilst account overdrawn. It means that, for the sake of being a few quid short, I get hammered. Annoys me no end. Banks huh :(

Pia
14-04-2006, 21:19
If you phone the bank on Tuesday morning first thing and explain what has happened they will refund you any charges, they are allowed to do this at least once and as long as you don't make a habit of it they are usually happy to take the charges off as a 'goodwill gesture':)

Chris W
14-04-2006, 21:37
:notopic: twenty quid on socks :Yikes: Hope their nice ones!!!!

Shaun
14-04-2006, 22:28
I have a feeling that because the D/D has already been issued by NTL that cancelling it now would make no difference. :confused:

I eventually found the telephone banking number (0845 7 77 77 66) and I was told by the nice lady that my branch will be open tomorrow morning until 1pm (so much for bank holiday weekends eh). If I stick £20 in my account and tell them to set the account to retry the debit automatically on Tuesday morning, I should be alright.

Depends if the service centre have already made the decision to bounce it. Your best bet (if your branch actually is open) is to have a chat with the staff at the branch tomorrow about it. They probably won't be able to get the SC to let it go even if you put the cash in. That's why I said your guaranteed way of missing the charges is to cancel it (which should recall the payment) and then pay by cash. Many a customer does that every month when they forget about a DD or get a large charge they weren't expecting. When I worked at Natwest we got a spate of these at the end of every month. :D

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

I think with Abbey it's £30 plus interest for any account transaction that takes the account overdrawn, or is paid whilst account overdrawn. It means that, for the sake of being a few quid short, I get hammered. Annoys me no end. Banks huh :(

If you have five min then a read of this thread may interest you GC:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=725760#post725760

There's even a standard letter on one of the linked sites :)

LSainsbury
15-04-2006, 19:07
chocky909 - did you get this resolved today?

chocky909
16-04-2006, 23:41
Depends if the service centre have already made the decision to bounce it. Your best bet (if your branch actually is open) is to have a chat with the staff at the branch tomorrow about it. They probably won't be able to get the SC to let it go even if you put the cash in. That's why I said your guaranteed way of missing the charges is to cancel it (which should recall the payment) and then pay by cash. Many a customer does that every month when they forget about a DD or get a large charge they weren't expecting. When I worked at Natwest we got a spate of these at the end of every month. :D
You were right. The guy said that the £20 I put in wouldn't make any difference. He was a right nob about it too. Gave me absolutely nothing in the way of help or advice. Basically said it's too late and I would get a charge on Tuesday.

It HAS shown up on my online statement though:

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/985/untitled2ty.jpg

So basically, I'm willing to try what you suggested, if you think it won't cause loads of trouble. I just first want to know how NTL'll respond to me cancelling the Direct Debit ( I CAN cancel D/Ds online). And also would that definately stop the charge becuse the Direct Debit has already been requested so wouldn't that mean cancelling it wouldn't change anything. O, and would I have to reset the Direct Debit BEFORE Tuesday morning? Maybe all these people who cancel D/Ds cancel BEFORE it is issued?

This is why I went to art school, finance gives me a horrible headache. I just hate thinking about it. That's why I hadn't replied until now - just burying my head in the sand...:rolleyes:

Shaun
17-04-2006, 00:23
You were right. The guy said that the £20 I put in wouldn't make any difference.

That's because the decision would have already been made and the item sent back.

He was a right nob about it too. Gave me absolutely nothing in the way of help or advice. Basically said it's too late and I would get a charge on Tuesday.

You'll need to ring them and get them to stop the payment (it can be done so be firm when you call) if it's going through, if not then explain that Ntl shouldn't have taken the moeny and you wan the fee back.

So basically, I'm willing to try what you suggested, if you think it won't cause loads of trouble.

Shouldn't do, however you'll probably have to go at it from a different angle now as it's not the day the item was posted. Assuming it's been paid and you've been charged for it - your best bet is to phone them and tell them you are in dispute with Ntl over the amount and that you need to do an indemnity claim. Tell them that Ntl shouldn't have taken he money and you want it putting back. Natwest should credit it back to your account backdated to the date the money was taken out and the system should (or someone in the service centre) cancel any pending charges.

It's a little white lie but what the hell you've got to make the system work for you and not them.

What'll happen is that the payment will be claimed back from Ntl and they will show it on your next bill. If you pay it by an alternative methods in the mean time that'll also show on your statement thus bringing you back upto date.

If they bounced the payment then explain that Ntl should have taken the payment and that you'd like the charges back. Natwest should be ok with this.

I just first want to know how NTL'll respond to me cancelling the Direct Debit ( I CAN cancel D/Ds online).

Ntl will just show the returned payment on your next statement and probably send you a letter telling your the payment was recalled, but if you've paid it cash or whatever in the mean time they'll not be bothered. Wait a few days and then resetup your DD with Ntl. You'll probably not get the letter until after you've paid and reset the DD up so just bin it.

And also would that definitely stop the charge because the Direct Debit has already been requested so wouldn't that mean cancelling it wouldn't change anything.

I haven't worked for Natwest for a few years but that was how it worked while I was there, ask the adviser when you call but I should think if you tell them the payment is disputed and they recall the payment (as is your right under the DD guarantee) they should cancel off any charges. Shame the bloke in the branch couldn't be arsed to help though.

Saying all that, if Natwest have bounced it and not charged you then just wait untill Tuesday and then check it's gone through.

zeus9876
17-04-2006, 06:24
read this on how to cliam the penalty charges back from your bank.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632

chocky909
17-04-2006, 17:31
Thanks all.

Shaun? Can you tell me (again) what I should do in a 'idiots' guide' style. I'm getting the gist of what you're saying but not enough to be sure what to say/ask and in what order.

Shaun
17-04-2006, 18:09
If they've bounced it and charged you, basically you need to convince Natwest that the payment wasn't suppose to go out. Tell Natwest Ntl messed up and shouldn't have taken the payment, Natwest should then refund the charge.

If they've bounced it and not charged you, then Ntl will resubmit the claim over the next few days and as long as there is money there then it should go through and there's nothing to worry about.

If Natwest have paid the item and then charged you, the best thing to do is tell Natwest that Ntl shouldn't have taken the payment as it's in dispute and ask them to do an indemnity claim. The service centre should credit your account with the payment but it'll be backdated to the date Ntl took it out, this should cause the system to cancel off any charges.

Basically you've missed the boat for just ringing and canceling the DD, you needed to do that the day the item was posted to your account which is why I said to ring them on the day you posted the thread.

I'm hoping that Natwest have done what I detailed in the first paragraph, it'll be the least hassle for you as all you'll need to do is make sure sufficient funds are n the account when Ntl reapply for the cash.

HTH :D

chocky909
17-04-2006, 20:05
Right. But, I don't know which of these three they've done. Or, will we not know until tomorrow? Do I have to act BEFORE tomorrow or wait until tomorrow to see what I have to do?

:disturbd:

Shaun
17-04-2006, 21:16
Right. But, I don't know which of these three they've done. Or, will we not know until tomorrow? Do I have to act BEFORE tomorrow or wait until tomorrow to see what I have to do?

:disturbd:

You need to ask them, you said that they were going to allow it to be re-presented on Tuesday so I'm assuming it's the first - but you need to ask them.

chocky909
25-04-2006, 02:34
Sorry I didn't post the resolution of this thread but it completely slipped my mind.

Anyway it finished like this:

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/919/hurrah6qo.jpg

As you can see, the cash ended up covering the D/D, so I was alright. I've no idea why this was, mainly because of what the guy at the bank told me, and what Shaun was saying. Anyway that's a relief and I won't be doing that again in a hurry. Strange. Thanks for all your advice, especially Shaun, despite the fact that I couldn't understand what he was saying, but the clear effort was much appreciated.

:p: