PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Outage

Florence
27-11-2003, 11:05
NTL have failed to list on the status about the Manchester outage. some managed to get online before the day was out. I was offline with both phone and interent from 14.21 26th November. After calling using a mobile and wasting money going through all the rubbish I was given 7.30 for a fix time. This pasted with still no sign of it being fixed. All other calls wouldn't be answered now as NTL had gone home and faults had set up a message that gave you another number to call that listed all faults but mine. Around £4 in calls later on my mobile and still no fix. At 1am coming up for 12 hours offline. I would say I was offline for more than 12 hours andnow NTL is starting to look a worse prospect than BT. I have always hated BT and that is why I moved to cable and wireless but if outages of 12hours + can go without a mention and no one can tell you why. Looks like they should start giving customers refunds for loss of service and for any charges trying ot find out why.

Neil
27-11-2003, 11:17
If the fault is down to them, then they should refund the call charges incurred on your mobile as you couldn't use your ntl phone.

I can give you a contact if you need to mail someone at senior level about this.

Florence
27-11-2003, 11:27
If the fault is down to them, then they should refund the call charges incurred on your mobile as you couldn't use your ntl phone.

I can give you a contact if you need to mail someone at senior level about this.

Please Neil I was more worried that if my mother needed me sha had no mobile and would have been trapped in the same problem. Looks like xmas this year will be a mobile for her so if NTL go again she can call out. Not good at her age she has never needed one before and its not easy convincing a 75 yr old they need one.

Neil
27-11-2003, 11:55
Sent via MSN. :)

Florence
27-11-2003, 21:33
Sent via MSN. :)

Thanks Neil I have found out what time my phone and internet returned now as it came on as my husband was about to recheck it before going to work. He was going to phone in and compllain. I was offline with both phone and interent from 14.21 26th November to 8.15 am 27th November.. Some outage and not mentioned on the status page or mentioned on the phone number given for checking on the outages. Very disappointed with NTLs methods of keeping customers informed.

Ignition
28-11-2003, 12:51
Are you sure this wasn't a relatively small postcode / node fault rather than affecting the whole of Manchester? You are the only person who has mentioned this fault on site, and I can find no indication of a mass failure in Manchester.

Florence
29-11-2003, 21:58
Are you sure this wasn't a relatively small postcode / node fault rather than affecting the whole of Manchester? You are the only person who has mentioned this fault on site, and I can find no indication of a mass failure in Manchester.
If this was such a small area/problem why so long to fix it I was given ATM of 7.30pm they even missed the 7.30 am

Not exactly what helps the customers to stay. With the DNS problem, this downtime that also took my phone making me use my mobile to get updates ended up using £4 calling credit and the SACM playing up today I think I have had more downtime in one week than I had in 2 yrs. Perhaps a sign that things are getting worse..

I often wish Telewest had bought Cable and Wireless they couldn't have been any worse than this lot.

Marge
29-11-2003, 22:09
If you are in either M43 or OL postcode then this fault was caused by one of the utility companies cutting through a fibre-optic cable. At one point I had a queue at a phone box of people ringing in to report the fault :erm: literally the phone being passed along from person to person. I know they did to try to get this resolved as quick as possible.

Florence
29-11-2003, 22:19
If you are in either M43 or OL postcode then this fault was caused by one of the utility companies cutting through a fibre-optic cable. At one point I had a queue at a phone box of people ringing in to report the fault :erm: literally the phone being passed along from person to person. I know they did to try to get this resolved as quick as possible.

Well did it get resolved quickly I don't think it did. 18 hours approx would tell customers they didn't. Our local call bax was out of action so I had to use my mobile and the calling credit I used would have lasted me till end of December as I only use the mobile for emergencies..

swoop101
29-11-2003, 22:32

I know of two other people in the Altrincham (south Manchester) area that had the same outage.
The times seem to be exaxctly the same as reported here.

Florence
29-11-2003, 22:53

Reading between the lines JustAnotherN00b do you work for NTL or are you NTL managment.. Just curious

Marge
29-11-2003, 22:59
I know of two other people in the Altrincham (south Manchester) area that had the same outage.
The times seem to be exaxctly the same as reported here.

As far as I can remember (and several glasses of wine later) Altrincham wasn't affected by this particular fault, just the postcodes that I mentioned. However there was a lot of maintenance that day so perhaps was that :shrug:

swoop101
29-11-2003, 23:33
As far as I can remember (and several glasses of wine later) Altrincham wasn't affected by this particular fault, just the postcodes that I mentioned. However there was a lot of maintenance that day so perhaps was that :shrug:

The work in the area was carried out between 01:45 and 02:15 ( as shown by event logs), but the outage was for TV and internet for about 12hours :shrug:

handyman
30-11-2003, 01:46
Well did it get resolved quickly I don't think it did. 18 hours approx would tell customers they didn't. Our local call bax was out of action so I had to use my mobile and the calling credit I used would have lasted me till end of December as I only use the mobile for emergencies..

Have you ever seen the work thats required to repair a fibre cut kitty? 18 hours is rather fast.

Of course other isps never get affected? BT's RAS severs never go down :erm:

We have a issue standing with them at the moment for 10 days plus regarding ip authentication. This affects those connecting with routers, have the sorted it yet, have the hell as like. Sorry to rant but ntl do sort problems better than bt in my book. (working with both as I have)

th'engineer
30-11-2003, 08:43
Reading between the lines JustAnotherN00b do you work for NTL or are you NTL managment.. Just curiousYes he does :cool:

Florence
30-11-2003, 09:17
Have you ever seen the work thats required to repair a fibre cut kitty? 18 hours is rather fast.

Of course other isps never get affected? BT's RAS severs never go down :erm:

We have a issue standing with them at the moment for 10 days plus regarding ip authentication. This affects those connecting with routers, have the sorted it yet, have the hell as like. Sorry to rant but ntl do sort problems better than bt in my book. (working with both as I have)

The only problem there Handyman is it never hit the status page, Customers wasn't informed what was wrong and they did give a time for teh work to be completed which was 7.30pm same day. If they had used the system correctly allowed it to go on the status page so cistomers could find out. I had another mod from the forums I moderate check for me as he uses ADSL and it wasn't mentioned.
CS couldn't say what the fault was as their information didn't say but they had a time for fix.. Again NTL have failed on the one thing they are supposed to be.. They are supposed to be a communications companyn BUT fail to communicate..

Thanks th'engineer just now what level after choosing a name that was perhaps sto throw us customers off track.....

janisc
27-11-2004, 14:51
:erm: I thought i'd let you all know the manchester outage seems to relate to the time that i was having troubles too, i'm in nelson lancashire, 40 miles from manchester, and from roughly 5pm to midnight on the 26th i could not get a connection with broadband. My phone was working, but as others have said ntl had no information whats so ever. the strange thing is, my freind, could connect and she is only the other side of town... weird
Janis

th'engineer
27-11-2004, 15:01
Just the cheer everyone up appears the manchester north poxy routing software is playing up again having to specify proxies again

Bill C
27-11-2004, 15:24
Just the cheer everyone up appears the manchester north poxy routing software is playing up again having to specify proxies again
You just hate that software dont you.

Hope you have reported it to NTL. And not just on here.

Paul
27-11-2004, 16:01
:erm: I thought i'd let you all know the manchester outage seems to relate to the time that i was having troubles too, i'm in nelson lancashire, 40 miles from manchester, and from roughly 5pm to midnight on the 26th i could not get a connection with broadband. My phone was working, but as others have said ntl had no information whats so ever. the strange thing is, my freind, could connect and she is only the other side of town... weird
JanisUm, this thread (& outage) is from a year ago ..... :dozey:

homealone
27-11-2004, 16:07
Um, this thread (& outage) is from a year ago ..... :dozey:

ah but at least they used the search facility before posting :p: :D

:welcome: to cable forum, btw, janisc :)

poolking
27-11-2004, 18:11
Um, this thread (& outage) is from a year ago ..... :dozey:
I noticed that after reading half the thread. :D

Bill C
27-11-2004, 18:40
Um, this thread (& outage) is from a year ago ..... :dozey:And notice that the proxy server software was automatically at fault :LOL:

Florence
27-11-2004, 21:39
:Yikes: How come I wasn't ncluded in the latest outage.

I feel so un loved by NTL know :D and my proxies why havent they stopped working its so unfair.....

Apart from that all is fine

Mal
27-11-2004, 21:41

I feel so un loved by NTL know :D and my proxies why havent they stopped working its so unfair.....

Apart from that all is fine
I wasn't included either :cry: We should take it up with ntl for discrimination. ;) :D

Bill C
27-11-2004, 21:44

Apart from that all is fineGive me 5 mins to sort that for you :LOL:

Anyone else want in :)

janisc
29-11-2004, 00:30
doh, well that shows how worked up i was with having no connection, lol note to self.... check dates next time you stupid mare!!!!!!!
weird tho same thing happening at the same date year after... lol

:)

th'engineer
29-11-2004, 01:15
Bill i am now specifying none ntl proxies so might have a bit of luck on keeping off this board

AndrewJ
29-11-2004, 01:18
All okay here in Rochdale.

etccarmageddon
29-11-2004, 08:48
I noticed that after reading half the thread. :D

me too - very annoying!

Florence
29-11-2004, 19:34
I can only apologise for my thread being re-used 12 months after I had my outage...

Mind if Manchester has a big outage without me I shall complain to Bill :LOL:

Bill C
29-11-2004, 19:49
I can only apologise for my thread being re-used 12 months after I had my outage...

Mind if Manchester has a big outage without me I shall complain to Bill :LOL::Yikes: :Sprint:

:LOL: