PDA

View Full Version : STB Upgrades

sherer
27-11-2003, 10:43
Are there any plans to upgrade STBs. I've got a very old STB it's an ex C & W Pace box. I think it might be a 4000 but it doesn't have a model number listed on the front. The boxes are now getting very old and frequently crashes on me. I'm using it for digital TV and broadband at the moment..

I'm building a XP MCE machine and just checked the outputs on the STB and it only has 2 scart outputs.. No S-VIDEO or composite output or even better DVI or some other digital output that i can use to connect to my PC.. Do any of the new boxes have better outputs on them ? Can i get an upgrade on my STB ? It does crash on me and lock up on me a few times a week so i can report that as a fault ..

Sherer

Nemesis
27-11-2003, 10:57
Are there any plans to upgrade STBs. I've got a very old STB it's an ex C & W Pace box. I think it might be a 4000 but it doesn't have a model number listed on the front. The boxes are now getting very old and frequently crashes on me. I'm using it for digital TV and broadband at the moment..

I'm building a XP MCE machine and just checked the outputs on the STB and it only has 2 scart outputs.. No S-VIDEO or composite output or even better DVI or some other digital output that i can use to connect to my PC.. Do any of the new boxes have better outputs on them ? Can i get an upgrade on my STB ? It does crash on me and lock up on me a few times a week so i can report that as a fault ..

Sherer
If you press up, down and then the blue button, it will give you information pages on the box ...

As for an upgrade ... not sure there are any ... I've got a 2000 box handling my tv & BB, and the 4000 are known to be problematic.

You can always ring and report the problems you are having, that is your right as a customer.

sherer
27-11-2003, 11:14
If you press up, down and then the blue button, it will give you information pages on the box ...

As for an upgrade ... not sure there are any ... I've got a 2000 box handling my tv & BB, and the 4000 are known to be problematic.

You can always ring and report the problems you are having, that is your right as a customer.

is there any info anywhere on what STBs are used by NTL.. i'm on the Bromley playform at the moment.. i'm really looking into getting higher qaulity outputs available on the STB..

wouldn't a 2000 box be older than a 4000 box ?

handyman
27-11-2003, 11:39
There are no other outputs available at the moment.

This will continue to be the case for the forseeable future.

[edit] link to pix of the new stb also (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2779)

SMHarman
27-11-2003, 11:40

Sherer

The scart outputs at worst must be composite, depending on the box the scart should also output RGB or SVideo - check the setup menu (the user accessed one from the menu button on the remote). I don't believe any NTL or Sky boxes output DVI format. There are also no progressive scan boxes.

is there any info anywhere on what STBs are used by NTL.. i'm on the Bromley playform at the moment.. i'm really looking into getting higher qaulity outputs available on the STB..

wouldn't a 2000 box be older than a 4000 box ?

1000 is oldest, then 2000, then 4000, but the budget for the 1000 was greater than the 2000 was greater than the 4000, so the older boxes are considered to be better built and more reliable. Some also have more features (RF passthrough).

sherer
27-11-2003, 14:10
The scart outputs at worst must be composite, depending on the box the scart should also output RGB or SVideo - check the setup menu (the user accessed one from the menu button on the remote). I don't believe any NTL or Sky boxes output DVI format. There are also no progressive scan boxes.

1000 is oldest, then 2000, then 4000, but the budget for the 1000 was greater than the 2000 was greater than the 4000, so the older boxes are considered to be better built and more reliable. Some also have more features (RF passthrough).

excellent so if i get a scart to s-video cable i can connect it to my TV card ok ? on my menu i don't have the option to output s-video when i go into display settings i've only got RBG and composite

SMHarman
27-11-2003, 14:52
excellent so if i get a scart to s-video cable i can connect it to my TV card ok ? on my menu i don't have the option to output s-video when i go into display settings i've only got RBG and composite

erm, no, your box has RGB outputs, not SVideo.

Dunno how you go about getting your box swapped for an svideo one, whether you can request this (and probably pay £50) or just complain it keeps freezing and ask the engineer to replace it with a SVideo version.

spiderplant
27-11-2003, 16:20
erm, no, your box has RGB outputs, not SVideo.

Dunno how you go about getting your box swapped for an svideo one, whether you can request this (and probably pay £50) or just complain it keeps freezing and ask the engineer to replace it with a SVideo version.

No Bromley boxes have svideo but they all have composite. get a scart cable with composite video breakout from Maplins.