PDA

View Full Version : connection monitor software

trebor
27-11-2003, 11:26
ok I am fed up with NTL's crappy connection. can anybody recommend
any free software to monitor and log the state of my internet connection.
I don't need speed test stuff, what I think I want is something that constantly
runs pings or trace routes and logs the results. I want to see how often my
connection goes dead, any suggestions please.

zovat
27-11-2003, 11:39
I would recommend mrtg - you can get it from this site (http://mrtg.hdl.com/mrtg.html) it allows you to do a number of checks - and is totally free.

Let me know if you want a config file - I can get one from my setup that does pretty much what you want to do.. :D

I use it to check signal strength and ping at the same time. That way I can rule out the CM if needs e :)

HTH

MetaWraith
27-11-2003, 11:42

Have you tried http://www.mfcsnet.com/mfcstcpstat.htm
at $7.95 it ain't free, but its pretty damn good inmy opinion.

The best freeware prog that i know of that will do what you want is probably
http://www.gammadyne.com/conkeep.htm

Hope those help. :)

Nemesis
27-11-2003, 11:59
Why do you want to constantly run these ???

trebor
27-11-2003, 12:41
Why do you want to constantly run these ???

Because I am *issed off with the quality of my ntl line and I want some way to
log performance and reliability (or lack of) my NTL unlimited, always on broadband connection. it wasn't until I had broadband that I realised ntl were in the humor business ;)

zovat
27-11-2003, 12:44
log performance and reliability (or lack of) my NTL unlimited, always on broadband connection. it wasn't until I had broadband that I realised ntl were in the humor business ;)

mrtg can be set to run the checks at regular intervals (I don't know the other product, but assume it can also be set this way)..

you don't ant to run them constantly as they will crunch your processor, disk and connection - all that pinging and logging... ;)

Neil
27-11-2003, 12:46

If you're that pi$$ed off with your connection, why don't you vote with your feet & get ADSL from an all round better provider, with an all round better network, & generally all round better service?

Nemesis
27-11-2003, 13:02
As zovat says ... MRTG is widely used and respected for it's stats.

It runs every 5 mins and will track the availability of you connection, but generally works better over time .... one onther thing is that it requires ActivePerl to be installed too.

If you do decide to use it, I also can help with the script that will need to be run.

Though am still unsure how it will work with a DHCP ip address.

carlingman
28-11-2003, 00:58

ROFLMAO - nice one see Neils reply below.

If you're that pi$$ed off with your connection, why don't you vote with your feet & get ADSL from an all round better provider, with an all round better network, & generally all round better service?

My what a change of attitude, nice to see your not on the payroll of NTL anymore.

Have to agree though as Pipex customer for a longtime myself.

Pipex rocks so trebor vote with your feet and :walk: away from NTL.

:D

Stuartbe
28-11-2003, 11:49
You could try a program called ip sentry. I am not sure on the cost as we use it at work but its very powerfull and will monitor pretty well anything. Services, pings, web servers and mail servers. You can get it at www.ipsentry.com

HTH