PDA

View Full Version : Rover Warranty... not happy!

Chris W
12-04-2006, 23:13
I bought a second hand Rover a year ago (just before they declared that they didn't really have any money) and I got a year's warranty.

I had some work done a month ago which cost me £297. The dealer obtained the claim reference number from the warranty company, and as per normal process i paid the dealer and then sent off the invoice to the warranty company to claim the money back.

Today I have received a letter back advising me that unfortunately they won't be paying because the warranty fund is empty - ok given Rover's situation maybe i should have expected this.

However, the thing that really pees me off is that if the warranty company had no money to pay, why did they authorise the work in the first place?? If i had know that they weren't going to pay before hand I would have saved myself two 50 mile round trips to an "authorised dealer" who kindly charge nearly £90/hour labour. :mad:

Shaun
12-04-2006, 23:24
I'd get some advice on getting the extra costs out of the warranty company. Obviously if the fund is empty then you're not going to get anywhere with that but the company administering the fund should pay for their incompetence.

Chris W
12-04-2006, 23:27
I think they have covered themselves with this part of the letter:

As you aware aware, the above claim was agreed in principal subject to the guarantee having sufficient funds to cover the cost of your claim

No i wasn't aware of that- nowhere in any of the information that i have does it mention that, and at no time was i told. However, it gives me the impression that i stand no hope of getting any money out of them.

Still, I don't think an irrate phone call tomorrow will do any harm :angel:

basa
13-04-2006, 08:56
Talking of Rovers and repairs (and also a bit off topic), I was driving my old R reg Rover 400 (140,000 miles on the clock !) Tuesday evening when suddenly the engine started making the most horrendous noises.

It sounded to me like a big or little end had gone, but there was no smoke or water from the exhaust and the engine still ran sweet as a nut (smooth with a steady tick over and 'pulled' well) not like something was seriously wrong.

I started to think it could be the cam belt disintegrating and bits flailing against the belt covers. I eased the belt top cover away enough to see the belt in perfect order, but also discovered what looked like an oil seal floating loose !!

After totally removing the cover I found the belt tension pully hanging off its shaft bearings displaced about 3/8" from its normal position ! :shocked:

Were it not for the plastic belt cover this pulley would have fallen away completely and no doubt the belt been ejected and the cams stopped resulting in a destroyed engine !! The belt cover shows the scarring where the pulley and belt have rubbed against it.

Although very lucky it did, I'm amazed the engine continued to run without major damage. :disturbd:

Oh well that's my Easter Friday spoken for - a day under the bonnet with greasy hands and bloodied knuckles no doubt. :(

AndrewJ
13-04-2006, 09:18
R-over :D

( had to be done )

altis
13-04-2006, 10:10
Inform your local Trading Standards first and then the garage. Also tell the garage about your first call. If they knowingly take on work like this then it is a scam and I'm sure there will be a law somewhere that will clobber them.

Nidge
13-04-2006, 18:14
If you buy a new Rover you'll get a full warranty from a Warranty company, you still have access to all the Rover parts and all the Rover Dealerships.