PDA

View Full Version : Broadband setup problem

cynix
12-04-2006, 23:53
Having problems setting up a friends NTL broadband connection. He currently has a dial-up account which is still working fine.

I just installed a wireless router and wireless USB network adapter for him which seem to be working fine (PC talks to router and can access it's setup menus fine) and all LED's on the cable modem suggest that the cable connection is OK.

When using the supplied NTL setup CD it all works fine upto a point, accepting the account details/pin number etc., but then says that "NTL systems are temporarily unavailable". Has been saying that since last week and thought it would work from Tuesday (as mentioned on the billing/upgrade problem thread) but it's still not working today.

Tried the "https://autoreg.autoregister.net" page and that appears ok (which suggests the basic hardware is installed and working fine) but we only had the 8 digit "pin number" and not an 11 digit serial number for that. However, when typing "autoreg" into internet explorer a "history" URL appeared (presumably created somehow by the NTL CD install process) which included an 11 digit key. On trying that one his account details appeared OK and it seems to say the cable modem connection is setup, but we still can't access any other internet page, with the usual "not found" message after a few seconds.

Have changed IE settings to "never dial a connection", but it just won't connect to any internet site.

Anyone got any ideas? Is the registration server actually working since yesterday or should we just try the NTL CD again later in the week?

Thanks.

Marge
12-04-2006, 23:55
The serial number you should use is ntl-ct8-cj486 and the 8 digit pin number and you should be good to go.

The registration page is definately working fine after the maintenance, what are the last 3 digits of the IP address you have at the mo??

Chris W
12-04-2006, 23:57
connect everything up and visit https://autoreg.autoregister.net and follow the instructions :)

cynix
12-04-2006, 23:59
The serial number you should use is ntl-ct8-cj486 and the 8 digit pin number and you should be good to go.

The serial number from the history URL was ntl-b**-b**** so will try again tomorrow with the one you mention above, thanks. It didn't ask for the 8 digit pin number at all on the autoreg site, at least not with the serial number we tried.

what are the last 3 digits of the IP address you have at the mo??

Not sure, this was a neighbours machine so will check the IP when I try the other serial number again tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response. :)

deathtrap3000
12-04-2006, 23:59
try going to http://80.5.178.26/.
thats where i was told to go the other day as i had just got a new cable modem and the same problem was happening to me

Chris W
13-04-2006, 00:00
The registration page is definately working fine after the maintenance, what are the last 3 digits of the IP address you have at the mo??

I know what you're thinking, but it doesn't work like that, you have to do a lookup on the full ip to find out if is a unregged modem ip ;)

13-04-2006, 02:56
I know what you're thinking, but it doesn't work like that, you have to do a lookup on the full ip to find out if is a unregged modem ip ;)

i was under the impression that pre reg IP addresses were within a specific range??? ie: the last 3 digits would be between xx.xx.xx.248 through xx.xx.xx.253 used to be the case anyhow...and seems to be confirmed on robins site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html although it is dated june 2001.

a trait of these IP's are that you should be able to ping domain names and IP address's from a command prompt....but not browse to those sites.

have the pre reg IP address's changed recently?

Chris W
13-04-2006, 22:56
i was under the impression that pre reg IP addresses were within a specific range??? ie: the last 3 digits would be between xx.xx.xx.248 through xx.xx.xx.253 used to be the case anyhow...and seems to be confirmed on robins site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html although it is dated june 2001.

a trait of these IP's are that you should be able to ping domain names and IP address's from a command prompt....but not browse to those sites.

yes they have... now you have to do a lookup on the full ip- the first part of the name will reveal whether it is an ip for a regisered/ unregistered modem.

SLM
13-04-2006, 23:07
Having problems setting up a friends NTL broadband connection. He currently has a dial-up account which is still working fine.

I just installed a wireless router and wireless USB network adapter for him which seem to be working fine (PC talks to router and can access it's setup menus fine) and all LED's on the cable modem suggest that the cable connection is OK.

When using the supplied NTL setup CD it all works fine upto a point, accepting the account details/pin number etc., but then says that "NTL systems are temporarily unavailable". Has been saying that since last week and thought it would work from Tuesday (as mentioned on the billing/upgrade problem thread) but it's still not working today.

Tried the "https://autoreg.autoregister.net" page and that appears ok (which suggests the basic hardware is installed and working fine) but we only had the 8 digit "pin number" and not an 11 digit serial number for that. However, when typing "autoreg" into internet explorer a "history" URL appeared (presumably created somehow by the NTL CD install process) which included an 11 digit key. On trying that one his account details appeared OK and it seems to say the cable modem connection is setup, but we still can't access any other internet page, with the usual "not found" message after a few seconds.

Have changed IE settings to "never dial a connection", but it just won't connect to any internet site.

Anyone got any ideas? Is the registration server actually working since yesterday or should we just try the NTL CD again later in the week?

Thanks.

You have not mentioned if you have rebooted your router, try rebooting if this doesnt work try connection without the router. HTH

Let us know how you get on.

cynix
13-04-2006, 23:58
Thanks all, working fine now using the URL and serial number mentioned above. :)

Does NTL know their setup CD doesn't work on some machines?

Druchii
15-04-2006, 16:46
Thanks all, working fine now using the URL and serial number mentioned above. :) Does NTL know their setup CD doesn't work on some machines? They probably do know this. Would they fix it? Probably not.

BarFly
15-04-2006, 18:18

Pre reg's will now show something along the lines when a nslookup is performed :

cpc3-eswd1-0-0-cust567.renf.cable.ntl.com - this is a register cable modem.
spr1-bolt4-6-0-cust247.bagu.broadband.ntl.com - this is a registered STB.. ( starts with a S )
cur1-mfld4-0-0-cust57.nott.cable.ntl.com - This is a unregistered cable modem.
sur1-mfld4-0-0-cust57.nott.cable.ntl.com - This is a unregistered STB modem.

some areas still havent been unbundled so the old 248ip - 244ip is still valid but soon all ips will require a lookup to be done on them to find out if full or pre-reg.

hope it helps....